Had a wonderful trip this year. The island was green and beautiful, weather was perfect. Lots of butterflies, so much so that sometimes it looked like it was snowing. Didn't do a lot of things as we have been going to SXM over 15 years. Sand gravity really set in this trip. Here's what we did do.<br><br>Sunday - 11/3 left home at 4:30 a.m. for what should have been a 30 minute drive to drop off the car. Get on the highway and traffic is at a standstill. An accident. Traffic starts to move a little then the ambulance arrives, pulls up front and totally blocks all lanes. When the traffic finally cleared, we were behind schedule, called the taxi company and changed the pickup to 5:45 a.m. All in all made it to the airport in plenty time for the 8:00 a.m. flight. No problems with check-in or security, even had time for a quick bite. Nice flight, got free drinks for my birthday and met a very nice couple who were going to SXM for the first time on their honeymoon. Arrived on time and Mickey from Tropical/ Tropicana was there with the car. I must say this was exceptional because I had just emailed him the night before. I knew I could get a car at the airport or wait until I checked in at The Towers, but I thought I'd send the email, what the heck. Anyway, got the paperwork done at the office and was off to The Towers where we have a two-bedroom timeshare. Since it was Sunday, check-in was a breeze. The staff actually remembers us by name. We were home. Put down our bags and off to get supplies. We went to the old Food Center but it had just closed. Then we found the nice market next to Lido in Simpson Bay and got everything we needed. Really fresh produce and dairy items. Then it was off to Colombier to find our friend. He wasn't home but it was really nice to see his Mom and family. They are always so happy when we come to the island. Finished off the day with sandwiches at the timeshare and to bed.<br><br>Monday - 11/4 There is something about waking up to the warmth and beauty that is SXM. After coffee on the balcony, its swimsuits and off to the beach. Chose Mullet Bay this day and thoroughly enjoyed the sun, sand, and surf. We were a little shocked at the look of the beach because of the sharp drop to get to the water. We have been going to SXM since 1987 and remember Mullet Bay beach at its best. It is a little sad to see it now but we made the best of it. Had lunch at Daleo's and thoroughly enjoyed the day. Went to Cheri's that evening. That show gets more corny each year. We remember when they had real musicians and singers doing the show. Being musicians ourselves, the show is unbearable and the food wasn't much better. If it wasn't for the fact that we know several of the waiters and chefs, we would never go to that place. Anyway, even a night at Cheri's is a good time on SXM. <br><br>Tuesday - 11/5 Off to Phillipsburg to catch up with some of our musician friends. Met up with Ron, Nasio and the guys at Everyting Cool. Did a few songs with them and sipped on the delicious and quite potent drinks. Stayed till 4:00 p.m. and promised to meet up with the band again that evening at Texas BBQ. Got home, had snacks and decided to take a nap. Well, let's just say we didn't make it to Texas BBQ that night. <br><br>Wednesday - 11/6 Orient beach day. Only enough beach past Pedro's (on the non-nude side) for one row of chairs. The water was great although you had to walk down past Pedro's almost to Papagayos to go into the water without rocks. Saw lots of people walking the beach sans swimsuits. Had lunch at Pedro's. Wanted to get the chicken/ribs combo plate but found out that now Pedro's only serves chicken legs/thighs. I know I used to be able to get the breast with the combo but no more. None of the barbeque shacks have chicken breast. Where do they get these chickens with only legs? Nevertheless, enjoyed the day. Had dinner at "home" again (chicken breast) and called it a night.<br><br>Thursday - 11/7 Went back to Everyting Cool and hung out with the band for a little while. Then our island friend took us to Fort St. Louis. Wow, what a view from the top. It is a bit of a climb but well worth it. Had a mid-afternoon meal at Talk of The Town that was excellent. Tried the T-Punch. It is potent. <br><br>Friday - 11/8 Back to Mullet Bay for the day. Lunch again at Daleo's. Over to Colombier to pick up our friend. Sister and niece coming in today. Had to tolerate Cheri's again for dinner (sister and niece wanted to check in with friends there). Called it a night after that.<br><br>Saturday - 11/9 Check out day at The Towers and on to The Pelican. First, we're up at 6:00 a.m. for the guys to make a trip to the Marigot marketplace for fixings for our first meal prepared by our chef friend. Check out is smooth and fast. We store our bags at the Towers and head over to The Pelican but check in isn't until 4:00 p.m. We actually were able to do the check in process, get the key and store some things in the refrigerator early. We had a nice breakfast at the Veranda then went to Mullet beach to wait for check-in time. Nothing like hanging out at the beach while you wait. Sometime around 3:00 p.m. stopped by The Towers, picked up our bags and on to The Pelican. My sister has a two-bedroom timeshare in The Dieffenbachia building with a view of the marina and out to the airport. We can see planes landing and taxiing for takeoff. Quite nice. That night we went to Sunset Beach Bar. The waves at the beach were crashing up onto the roadway. We stood on the deck and watched the water for a while. One plane came in while we were there. I never realized how low those planes are when they pass over like that. Between the waves and the plane, we had a bit of excitement that evening. <br><br>Sunday - 11/10 Spent the day at The Pelican beach. I'm not very fond of that beach. It is small and was crowded. I'm just not used to crowded beaches. I don't like the water there either, lots of rocks and a little rough. I'm from New York City and am used to crowds but I don't go to the beach here. Anyway, the sun was warm so I let sand gravity set in. That night we had a wonderful home-cooked Caribbean feast of fish stew, peas and rice, Caribbean coleslaw, potato salad, johnny cakes, and rum punch. We had invited a few friends, one of whom came with his wife and son who didn't speak English. Well we don't speak French but we all had a wonderful time. It is truly amazing how universal warmth and friendship go with great food and drink.<br><br>Monday - 11/11 Last full day on the island. Woke up to coffee on the balcony and omelets cooked by our French chef friend. Turned in the car and went to Kim Sha beach. Its not the best beach on SXM but relaxing just the same. Had lunch and drinks at Indiana which were good. Continued the party at The Pelican Monday night and all too soon started packing for the trip home to NY.<br><br>Tuesday - 11/12 It is so hard to leave. My sister and nieces are staying on till 11/22 and are trying hard to convince us to change our flight but my significant other had a gig in New York on Friday, so we were resigned to leaving. Got a ride to the airport around 11:00 a.m. for the 2:20 p.m. flight. Check-in was a breeze. Security hand-checked all bags although I must say it seemed like our check was more cursory than some of the others. Paid the departure, shopped, had lunch at the airport restaurant and off we go. The flight was mostly uneventful until we got near JFK. There was a rainstorm in NY City and there was quite a bit of turbulence near the end of the flight. I think everyone on the plane breathed a sigh of relief when we touched down. We then had to sit for a while because of the weather cancellling some departing flights and there were no gates available. After about a half hour a gate opened up and we were able to deplane. No lines at all through immigration and customs and my significant other had no problems with using his birth certificate and drivers license. <br><br>All and all a great trip. <br><br>Ready-To-Go Back

The Up Front Band
"and the band played on"