Day 9, Friday

This has certainly been a different trip due to my wife Cindy’s mobility problems. No beach time. She is awaiting foot surgery in the fall and just did not feel capable of walking on the loose sand with any security or entering & exiting the ocean. We did go by several beaches and took pictures but that is about it. We did not venture far from the harder packed areas of sand. Lots of pool time today. Finished off all of the lunch supplies in the room as well as the booze. Dinner @ Izi. WOW !!!!! A bit pricey but huge portions of fresh pasta with sauces to die for. I get the great fortune to go to many of the signature Italian places in Chicago and other cities. This place goes to the top of the list. Excellent service as well. They use the parking for Paradise Plaza so that is not an issue. If you like Italian pasta, don’t miss this one. Several meat entrees as well.

Day 9, Saturday

Up early for packing & breakfast. I sent my wife off to Toppers by the Sea at 8 a.m. Not open. I am somewhat amazed that on one of the 2 the biggest checkout days they are not open before 8:30 a.m. She was able to cobble a breakfast together from what supplies we had left in the room. Checkout was quick & easy. We returned the cell phone to Sharon, the wheelchair to the Dr., and finally made it to the airport at 11:30 a.m. Left the car in the lot for Lesley. Someone remarked earlier that the island is not set up for handicapped individuals and they were absolutely correct. It was a pain to get our luggage into the airport by myself as she could not help. 4 bags for me to handle, 1 checked bag & carryon each as well as a computer bag. No carts or assistance in sight. I felt like a pack mule. We did get a wheelchair once we got checked in. The problem is in entering the airport. Good thing we were quite early for our 3 p.m. flight. The people who needed assistance in boarding the plane were promptly ushered out to the bus (bus & stairs, no jet way) and got to board it first. Then the rest of the people filled the bus and the handicapped people sat on the bus while the others boarded the plane 1st. Fortunately, Cindy was able to board w/out assistance as there was none available. One lady really needed help as she practically crawled up the steps. The passengers from the 2nd bus were already climbing the stairs by the time we made it into the plane. AA was not helpful in this process. Someone with a significant handicap would never have made it up the stairs to the plane. Rain complicated things once we got to Miami. There were 5 people needing assistance and only 1 person was there to meet us. We waited nearly an hour in the gate area for help in getting to Immigration & Customs. Got outside and waited just 30 minutes for our shuttle to the Embassy Suites. Nice place. I had enough HH points for a complimentary room so it was even better. We had dinner there. Good steak & crab cake. Expensive bar. 6 drinks = $60.

Day 11, Sunday

Arrival at the airport was another eye opener. I schlepped the bags by myself again. No curbside service available for coach passengers regardless of their limitations. I asked for help in entering & they just stared at me. We finally got help after check in. Why bother at that point? I will be calling AA to discuss both airports and the lack or poor quality of assistance. They need to fix this. Thank goodness Cindy can walk, just not far or fast. We could have been in trouble. Flight was extended due to weather and we got to ORD nearly an hour late. Good service from AA on getting from the plane to baggage and then the bus/shuttle center.