Member Spotlight
Southshore
Southshore
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (MrEZgoin, steve74, OceanSong, kaba, deliveryskipper, ChiTownHarry, cbf, IWIWSE, WWII, Billtjw, Kennys, Fran, cabokid, SteveH, lcote, eightzerobits, Leagle49, fabila, MKGrey, timnboston, jenniboston, deputydog1157, Jaybird, KC2SXM, 7 invisible), 916 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Simpson Bay Resort points #160260
05/04/2018 08:40 PM
05/04/2018 08:40 PM
pburke40 Offline OP
Traveler
pburke40  Offline OP
Traveler
I am one of the many who lost their timeshare week when Irma hit building D and the two C buildings at SBR. Would anyone like to share their thoughts as to how they feel about the offer of points for the “lost” units? I am on the fence. Walk away or go to points?

SXM Sponsors
Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: pburke40] #160268
05/05/2018 07:15 AM
05/05/2018 07:15 AM
Tellico Village, TN
jrr1148 Offline
Traveler
jrr1148  Offline
Traveler
Tellico Village, TN
We also lost the equivalent of three units in the Caladium building during high season (weeks 8 & 9). A few years ago we converted our week 8 lower unit to Points and were scheduled to use the "Bonus Points" last Nov at SBR before Irma hit. These Points were credited back to our account. Reluctantly we have accepted the offer since we enjoy our annual visit to SXM and the Resort (we have been owners since 1984). Our units ( C11A &B) continued to have an excellent view - only partially obstructed by the Villa building before demolition. At this point we don't know whether we will be able to return again during the peak demand season and have the view from our assigned unit, but will see what happens when we schedule our 2019 visit.

Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: jrr1148] #160271
05/05/2018 09:16 AM
05/05/2018 09:16 AM
Long Island, New York
CaribJoe Offline
Traveler
CaribJoe  Offline
Traveler
Long Island, New York
I think you have to do the math. Three buildings were permanently lost, amounting to 60+ two-bedroom units. To join the points program you would pay the one-time special assessment, plus a $275 yearly II membership and an annual maintenance fee equivalent to your lost unit each year going forward. If you are seeking to book a week during peak demand season, the resort suggests that you place your request 11 months in advance. Given the significant reduction in 2BR units, the advance planning required for high season requests, and the costs involved, there's a lot to consider whether it all makes sense for you.

Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: pburke40] #160272
05/05/2018 09:40 AM
05/05/2018 09:40 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Personally speaking, and knowing that many think the points program is the only way to go, I would be very concerned about the limited number of units available and the huge number of points owners trying to latch onto them.

There are so many great rental properties available and in all likelihood, unless you are totally hooked on the points program and the various options it offers, I think I’d consider it long and hard before accepting the offer. But that said, we’ve enjoyed our timeshare for thirty years and don’t feel we’d be out anything if it came to an end.

But that’s just me, and we’re still hoping our property reopens anytime soon. I have a weeks program and absolutely love our weeks and unit and would be very disappointed if I couldn’t use it. At this point, if our timeshare were to go that route, I think I’d walk away and rent when and where I saw fit without any other obligations.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: pat] #160277
05/05/2018 10:37 AM
05/05/2018 10:37 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Originally Posted by pat
Personally speaking, and knowing that many think the points program is the only way to go, I would be very concerned about the limited number of units available and the huge number of points owners trying to latch onto them.

There are so many great rental properties available and in all likelihood, unless you are totally hooked on the points program and the various options it offers, I think I’d consider it long and hard before accepting the offer. But that said, we’ve enjoyed our timeshare for thirty years and don’t feel we’d be out anything if it came to an end.

But that’s just me, and we’re still hoping our property reopens anytime soon. I have a weeks program and absolutely love our weeks and unit and would be very disappointed if I couldn’t use it. At this point, if our timeshare were to go that route, I think I’d walk away and rent when and where I saw fit without any other obligations.

My sentiments too.

Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: pat] #160291
05/05/2018 05:24 PM
05/05/2018 05:24 PM
B
BlueGreenWater Offline
Traveler
BlueGreenWater  Offline
Traveler
B
Originally Posted by pat

I'm a 30 year owner at Simpson Bay Resort and totally agree with you. Luckily, my building wasn't demolished, but my husband and I own eight weeks in high season in the same unit. I don't believe I could duplicate that experience with points. So if I had to choose, I'd also rent.

Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: pat] #160296
05/05/2018 07:02 PM
05/05/2018 07:02 PM
Arizona
M
marybeth Offline
Traveler
marybeth  Offline
Traveler
M
Arizona
I totally agree Pat. I don't regret buying our timeshare at the Flamingo - we've had 20+ good years there. But now, with Internet access, resources like TTOL, and many more rentals - that's the direction I would move towards. In fact, we will probably have to rent next year since I seriously doubt the Flamingo will be ready.

MB
Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: pburke40] #160373
05/07/2018 11:02 AM
05/07/2018 11:02 AM
Wisconsin
W
wabid Offline
Traveler
wabid  Offline
Traveler
W
Wisconsin
We were owners of a two bedroom /with upstairs in the C building. 1 week. During high season. We specifically purchased that units for the points.

I'll explain.

Previously we owned two weeks in the B building during low season. My wife (girlfriend at the time) purchased those weeks in 2001. She bought sight unseen, while visiting her parents' Royal Resorts timeshare in Cancun. I was not there and I was livid. Why would you get sucked in to that!! Total Scam!! But when what she told me what she paid and it included a week in the Cayman's (Royal Resort was developing another property there at the time), I was fine. It was very low risk and we could have easily walked away years ago if it did not work out. I was not able to visit the island until 2008 ( we married in 2003), but we easily rented it out to friend and family.

When we finally were able to make it together we were hooked. The resort was still in its down swing with ownership/bankruptcy issues and the B buildings were closed because they could not afford the upkeep. We stayed in the Marina building and we could see the resorts potential and we knew once Royal Resorts could do what they were saying, it would be fantastic. At the the time we realized we wanted to come at times other than the lowest of the low season, and when we sat through the pitch, it was just too much money for a "younger couple" to absorb. And it was to inflexible. We both work, and could not to commit to a set week. We didn't care about interval or any of that stuff....we just wanted to come back.

Fast forward several years. B building is still closed (renovations....finally) We stayed in the renovated C building and just loved it. At that point we joined joined the point system. We still did not get gobs of points for our units but the ability to accrue for two years, allowed us to return two years later, at the tail end of a mid season, for two weeks in a two bedroom in the Villas. We loved it again.

That was our last visit and at that time they tried to sell us more weeks and points... We didn't mind the pitch because they are polite and nice...and you can walk away at any time. We weren't budging until Rick the sales manager (who we had worked with before) came up with a good solution. They would buy back our B building weeks, and we can use that to buy the C building Penthouse high season for one week. That way we get Max points and only pay one week maintenance. We made them work for it too. We borrowed their calculators sharpened our pencils and did our own calculations...lots of back and forth to make it work. Yes they got some coin from us... however it paid for itself in 8 - years with lower maintenance costs. Kind of a win win. (Poor junior sales rep had a hard time keeping up, and but we enjoyed working with him and especially Rick. He has been there ever since our first visit and he came up with a creative solution to meet our needs.)

OK all that said. I was on the phone with Rose last week and the new contracts are on their way. We get 135,000 points per year that easily convert to two weeks in Low and mid season or jsut a week during high. They accrue and it just works for us.

We just adopted a baby girl so SXM is not in the cards this year (most likely) yet with points we will be sitting pretty for next year.

Last edited by wabid; 05/07/2018 11:06 AM.

Never walk onto a job site with empty hands. - Source Unknown
Re: Simpson Bay Resort points [Re: wabid] #160377
05/07/2018 12:34 PM
05/07/2018 12:34 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
So congratulations on your daughter and her adoption. That’s HUGE!! With regard to your timeshare questions and resolution I’m glad it worked out for you in the end.

Everyone’s reasons for going the timeshare route are different and all of our situations can and do often change over the years. We had been coming to SXM annually for almost fifteen years staying in the area we ultimately purchased in and when we bought the timeshare we were actually there to buy a Mullet Bay Resort villa and fell into the timeshare instead. Good thing for us since the villa we were buying was destroyed in ‘95 and we’ve actually had thirty years of enjoying our st condo. No regrets and once the B itch Irma’s damage is repaired we will once again be happy timeshare weeks owners again, too.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."