RonDon 83
fabila 47
Zanshin 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
19 registered members (Pitt1, SXMBND, cbf, jphart, Reid, Kennys, Travel Talker, Kevin_B, BillDauterive, George1234, RatmansWife, KirkB, MikeMc, Manpot, 5 invisible), 947 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 #160388
05/07/2018 03:31 PM
05/07/2018 03:31 PM
Teresasxm Offline OP
Traveler
Teresasxm  Offline OP
Traveler
This is a follow up to my Trip report of April 3-10, 2018. I decided to do a separate food report because my first post was too long.

This was a quieter, simpler vacation. Usually we’re hopping from beach to beach and restaurant to bar but this year in the wake of Hurricane Irma we just didn’t feel like running around and exploring. Other than a day trip around the island, we hung out in the Simpson’s Bay area. Staying at Mary’s Boon we opted for low key comfort foods so no gourmet restaurants to tell you about but hopefully some of my observations will help another traveler.

The restaurant and bar at Mary’s Boon is under new ownership. I was told the Cleveland family still owns the hotel but they have sold the food and drink operation to a group of investors while retaining a percentage of ownership. It’s managed and partly owned by Mickey, a Dutch national with loads of hospitality and dining experience. They are serving all three meals once again following Irma; breakfast, lunch and dinner and a full menu is offered along with a board of daily specials. We enjoyed everything we ordered from soups and salads, to sandwiches to the deliciously prepared red snapper that melted in your mouth. The Bar was hopping while we were there and they now have a nice set up on the beach which expands the seating area. Most of the staff is new and a lot of fun especially Max the Bartender. We enjoyed his personality and smile PLUS his amazing bottle tossing show – ask him when you visit! For anyone not staying at Mary’s Boon you are welcome to enjoy the beach, bar and restaurant and the chairs and umbrellas are free if you eat there. Their Sunday Beach Party was terrific!

We are huge fans of Pineapple Pete so we ate there twice. The French Onion soup was a tasty mixture of a delicious broth, onions and gooey cheese, and their Caesar salad was sublime…such a good dressing. The Crab stuffed Shrimp (one of the house specialties) were as good as ever, the BBQ chicken got two thumbs up and the lobster was outstanding. Although Pineapple Pete is well known for its Lobster Thermidor, my husband likes his lobster steamed. The kitchen was happy to oblige and it arrived steaming hot, moist and tender – just the way he likes it. Our waiter was happy to help us choose a bottle of wine that would go well with our food choices and we were really pleased with the wine list. The live music (the guitarist was fantastic) put a “bow” on two perfect evenings for us at Pineapple Pete.

We dragged ourselves off the beach early one day to go to the Greenhouse for their 2 for 1 drinks, Bang-Bang Shrimp and the sunset. What an outstanding night – we love this place. I had one incident however. I had placed my beach bag (with wallet) beside my chair when I noticed a man walking up the beach. He doubled back from where he came from, stopped, then walked across the sand and was heading towards the Greenhouse bar when he suddenly turned and almost ran past my chair. My spidey-sense was already up and I grabbed both handles of the bag and lifted it safely onto my lap just as he brushed past me. When he passed, he was so close the leg of his pants touched my hand as he zoomed by heading towards Buccaneer Beach Bar. You can be anywhere in the world and have your purse or valuables stolen so I’m not blaming St. Maarten at all. In fact, it’s me that needs to be smarter!

We enjoyed lunch one day at Karakter’s. We had the large appetizer platter with the marinated olives, cheese, dips, spreads and a chilled glass of rose. The highlight of the platter was the bitterballen. In the past I haven’t liked them very much but Karakters paired them with the most amazing honey mustard dipping sauce that I have ever tasted. My mouth is watering as I write this – they were soooo good!

We tried two new places (for us) this visit. We went to Pizza Italy in Simpson’s Bay and enjoyed their handmade pasta and wood fired pizza. The highlight of the visit (along with the food which was very good) was a visit to the table by Chef Patricia who comes from Italy every year just to work at this restaurant. She is HILARIOUS and had us rolling with laughter. The ice cold limoncello in chilled glasses was an awesome end to a fabulous meal.

We also visited Wasabi Charlie’s in Simpson’s Bay right next to Pineapple Pete. Owned by Pierre Ferland (who could make a rubber shoe look and taste good - LOL) we knew we could expect these things: Excellent service, a big menu with lots of choices and good food at a reasonable price. We weren’t disappointed and Wasabi Charlie delivered! As we walked in, I immediately loved the vibe and the décor. The soft pink lighting, the cool music, gorgeous bar and asian themed decorations really hit the mark. A restaurant’s interior and vibe means a lot to me and always sets me up to enjoy a good meal. Wasabi Charlie’s was beautiful. We dined on Gyozas (dumplings) and breaded shrimp with a sauce that made you want to dunk your whole meal in it - it was that tasty. The hardest part of the evening was deciding which sushi rolls to order but when we finally settled on two we really enjoyed all the flavors. We found the food to be beautifully prepared, fresh and extremely delicious. The waiter added to our good experience at this restaurant…never obtrusive but always there when we needed him with a smile. Pierre has ordered teriyaki cooking tables and they’ll be in operation soon so we’re putting this restaurant on the top of our list the next time we visit.

As I mentioned in my first Trip Report, Rosie’s Ribs is open for business on Mullet Beach. They are operating under a tarp but they are in their original location. The BBQ is in operation Tuesday to Sunday and on Monday they sell sandwiches and drinks.

We were at Maho Beach craving a burger one day and not wanting to go to Sunset Beach Bar (for many reasons) we decided to eat at Driftwood. Although we give them high marks for the improvements to their beach bar, I’m afraid that our burger – sucked. The meat had no taste and the bun was stale and crumbly. Too bad. We’ll still go back though because we noticed other people’s meals looked terrific (pizza, fish, salads etc) and the rum punch is as good as ever. The kitchen obviously had an “off” day when they were making our burgers.

We ate a lot of our breakfasts and lunches at “home” on the balcony of Mary’s Boon. We shopped for supplies at Maho Market and the grocery stores in Porto Cupecoy and in Simpson’s Bay. One note of caution – check the expiration dates on EVERYTHING you buy. It’s always been an issue on the island but now more than ever before.

Have any TTOLers ever shopped at PRIME in Cole Bay? We went there to buy supplies for the drop-in center we supported while on vacation. PRIME is set up like a Costco and the prices on food are amazing. You do have to buy many items in bulk however, but it might be good to check out the next time you’re on the island especially if you are staying for a few weeks. I also noticed their prices on liquor and wine which you could buy by the bottle were extremely good. We didn’t buy anything because we were on a mission to fill the drop-in center’s fridges and cupboards but I plan on going back. It’s cash and carry and as I mentioned, in Cole Bay. Just ask any of the locals for directions – they all know where it is.

Finally – a quick note on the Red Piano. We went there twice but each time got so choked up by the cigarette smoke we had to leave early. They’re allowing smoking again because they need the business and the air was “blue” and unbreathable. They also have many more bands than in the past. The week we were there they only had someone entertaining on the piano two nights out of the seven.

We didn’t have any gourmet food experiences while we were on St. Maarten this time but I hope some readers may find my observations helpful. As I mentioned at the beginning, this was a somber, quieter trip and all we were looking for was some comfort food and our old friends so for us, it was “mission accomplished”.

Last edited by Teresasxm; 05/07/2018 03:32 PM.
SXM Sponsors
Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160391
05/07/2018 04:02 PM
05/07/2018 04:02 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks very much for the report! I think we will have to try Mary's Boon this next trip. Good to hear the bar and restaurant are doing well again. Regarding Driftwood, we have eaten there several times for pizza and other stuff and enjoyed the laid back vibe, but I had remembered other's reports in the past that the hamburgers were NOT good, so we've never had their burgers. Too bad about Red Piano going back to smoking. Smoking at an outside venue bothers me not at all, but there, the smoke has always been suffocating.

Carol Hill
Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160393
05/07/2018 04:14 PM
05/07/2018 04:14 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Thanks for the report. Too bad about Red Piano and the smoking. Pizza and wraps have always been good st Driftwood. Burger sounds like a cheap quality frozen patty. I am sure most buergers on the island start out as frozen but quality does matter.

J.D.
Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160396
05/07/2018 04:38 PM
05/07/2018 04:38 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Teresa,

As always, beautifully done. Did anyone ever tell you you should take up writing professionally? You’ve got my vote, for sure!! 😊😊

Some great suggestions and too late now, but years ago we had friends visit us for a day off a cruise ship and we ended up at the Boon around lunchtime. This was the old Boon before it became the Boon that has been newly replaced by the current owners. All of which has absolutely nothing to do with anything. duh duh But the couple ordered burgers smothered in Gouda and grilled onions and mushrooms and said it was the best 🍔 of their lifetime. You just never know....

Anyhoo.....

Thanks for sharing your experiences and I sincerely hope we can be there soon to try a few of them.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160398
05/07/2018 04:53 PM
05/07/2018 04:53 PM
ski2play Offline
Traveler
ski2play  Offline
Traveler
So timely, and great info about the Red Piano! We had thought we would check it out, but I can't do smoke like that!

Thanks!

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160411
05/07/2018 07:24 PM
05/07/2018 07:24 PM
originally Long Island, NY/now...
irish1223 Offline
Traveler
irish1223  Offline
Traveler
originally Long Island, NY/now...
Wonderful report! We will be there next month and are looking forward to trying some of your suggestions. Pineapple Pete has always been a favorite of ours, as well. Like others, we are disappointed to hear that the Red Piano has started to allow smoking again. We had a great time our very first time there, but haven't been back since because of the suffocating smoke. We were hoping to do so this visit, as we will be staying at LVB, but with all that smoke, that's not going to happen.

Robin & Ed

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160417
05/07/2018 07:49 PM
05/07/2018 07:49 PM
Maine
SXMbeacher Offline
Traveler
SXMbeacher  Offline
Traveler
Maine
Thanks for the great report! Sounds like low key was still a lot of fun. Pineapple Pete's and Karakter's have been on my radar and now i know i'll be going.

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160421
05/07/2018 08:04 PM
05/07/2018 08:04 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for a great food report Teresa. Sounds like Mary's Boon has really come back strong and dining on the beach there would be so nice. Prime has always been one of our stops for beer, wine and liquor as the prices are great. There are other items there that are interesting as well. Glad Pierre is still doing well. I love dining there too. I will dream about these places until a future visit.

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160432
05/08/2018 12:57 AM
05/08/2018 12:57 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
Thanks for the report. One thing I can agree with you on big time is the burgers at Driftwood Boat Bar...SUCK!! Two different years I made the mistake of ordering a burger there...(forgot about the first time at the second time). I always enjoy a good burger...but they totally miss the mark there. Same experience as you had....stale bread...and a total tasteless hamburger...but not even sure it was a beef burger. When I complained I got the worst attitude that I ever have gotten. We stay right next door at LaPlage....and have basically now sworn off the Driftwood...except for a possible pizza again someday...but it will be a last resort. BTW...even after i left most of the burger uneaten...i was STILL CHARGED. Should I have argued at that point...maybe. but there was no tip left. I think that was the only time anywhere we have eaten that I have ever not left something.

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160433
05/08/2018 01:01 AM
05/08/2018 01:01 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
sorry for the double post....can't figure out how to delete the first one???

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160439
05/08/2018 08:56 AM
05/08/2018 08:56 AM
Pennsylvania
B
Beachnut82 Offline
Traveler
Beachnut82  Offline
Traveler
B
Pennsylvania
I had jerk shrimp skewers and my husband had jerk chicken skewers at Driftwood and both were excellent. I had with rice and beans and a nice little salad. We always have to have their rum punches.

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160440
05/08/2018 09:15 AM
05/08/2018 09:15 AM
CAL7 Offline
Traveler
CAL7  Offline
Traveler
Thanks for the report! The info on PRIME was new to me. Googling, I find "Prime Cash & Carry" which is described as a wholesale food distributor.

PRIME

Is that the one? Other than buying in bulk, is there any other requirement for individuals to shop there?

Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: CAL7] #160442
05/08/2018 09:19 AM
05/08/2018 09:19 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Yes, that's the one. And they DO accept credit cards, despite the name. There's no membership or anything required.

Carol Hill
Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160445
05/08/2018 10:57 AM
05/08/2018 10:57 AM
Granville, MA
PreK176 Offline
Traveler
PreK176  Offline
Traveler
Granville, MA
Great report! We loved our dinner at Pineapple Pete's as well! I am a Lobster Thermidor girl and it did not disappoint! I look forward to it every year as our first meal on the island! We also love Driftwood (avoiding Sunset like the plague). Their rum punches are amazing but very strong and we always get their pizza! Service is friendly. We have never had their burgers but with comments here would probably avoid ordering them. We drove by one day and saw a couple good friends at the bar. Of course we HAD to stop for a rum punch. Amazingly we were able to pull right into a spot next to the bar. Unheard of! We stayed at Marys Boon last year and loved it there. Everyone was so friendly and we loved being on the beach. Sadly, the unit we stayed in was destroyed by Irma. Hope they will consider rebuilding those units. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! (Makes me a little homesick!)

[Linked Image]
[/url]
Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160482
05/08/2018 07:32 PM
05/08/2018 07:32 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Thanks for the insight on the casual food scene right now.

Where is Pizza Italy in Simpson Bay located? Not sure I've heard of it. Do you know where the wood for their fire comes from?

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: Food Report - April 3-10, 2018 [Re: Teresasxm] #160537
05/09/2018 03:22 PM
05/09/2018 03:22 PM
C
cmh2sxm Offline
Traveler
cmh2sxm  Offline
Traveler
C
As others have mentioned, it is disappointing that Red Piano went back to allowing smoking. Hopefully they will return to a smoke-free environment before we return or it will have to be off our list.
What was Sunday Beach Party at Mary's Boon like?