Not saying we didn't have a good time. In fact we have already agreed we will do it again. But maybe my expectations were too high. Or maybe I'm just a wimpy sailor. Curious to know if others have had less than an awesome time on there first BVI trip. Here's our story. Me, wife and four kids, 9,11,13 and 15. We always do ski trips every winter but decided last year we would do something different this winter. Planned all last fall, and did it last week. Just got back last night from a seven night charter through Horizons. We rented a Bavaria 35 from them. Let me say again we had no regrets doing the trip, and maybe it will be chalked up as a learning experience for our next trip. When we arrived we were all a little shocked at how much wind there was and we were not used to the rough sea state as we sail a river system. The first day it blew up to 30 knots. We motored to Norman Island. The next day it blew 20 plus. We sailed reefed main up to Copper Island. The anchorage there was aweful. We didn't sleep at all. Had no energy to snorkel and ended up leaving. Everyone felt sick. Sailed up to the Baths where we got a moring only to find I didn't feel comfortable letting my kids swim to shore. I decided to get a berth at Spanish town to regroup. Best thing we ever could have done. We were able to get some rest, some time off the boat, and took a cab to the BAths where we had a ball. From here on in things were pretty good. Winds under 20 knots made for some great sailing. A day and a half in Gorda Sound was geat too. But now we are getting close to the end of the trip which brings me to my last problem. This boat is slow. The bottom was in desperate need of scrubbing. We sailed a long run from Gorda sound to Norman Island on our second last day. The wind averaged 17-18 knots, Gusts over 20 and my knot meter never saw 4 knots. Our trip to Norman took 6 hours. I'm used to sailing a J36. We would have never sailed below 6.5 knots if I had my boat there. I did not foresee it taking so long to get to our destinations. As a result getting to Jost VAn Dyke was out of the question. Anegada was not even on our radar. Ok rant over. I loved what we saw, but the issues for us were: High winds, rough seas early on, and a slow boat. Live and learn I guess. Oh and getting there and back home - we'll need to learn how to stream line that process. Anyway am I alone? What issues have others had?