Day 11: beautiful morning. I have so enjoyed watching the sunrises with my coffee on the balcony. Rode into simpson bay to return phone to sharon’s and do a littlle sight seeing. Found some ilovemyislanddog calendars at sharon’s office and bought one. They are only $10 and proceeds go to this wonderful organization. They have pictures of some of the happy outcomes which touch your heart. Stopped at the taste factory for tonights dinner- this place is to die for- so many choices of delectable and beautiful pastries, etc. back to the sapphire for one last afternoon at the pool. We had planned all week to have a pizza delivered from drive in pizza for our last night, but when I looked in the phone book- they are closed on TUESDAYS- just our luck. So back to sapphire café again for rib night. They are good ribs and you can’t beat the $12 price- had live music again, so nice night. Up to room for coctails and the taste factory desserts. We had some kind of strawberry cake with cream and a mousse-like filling and a chocolate ganache covered cake with creamy interior- both were superior. Coctails on balcony .

Day 12: have to checkout by 10 am. So we had ham, cheese, and egg bagels from the taste factory for breakfast then packed up. At checkout, I told them about having to buy the fan earlier because they never brought me one. I offered to leave it for them if they would give me credit towards the utility(or whatever daily charge is for) and they agreed! So that was good. Rode over to simpson bay to zee best for various croissants to take home with us- I just had to have more. I will never be able to eat a Kroger croissant again! Stopped at hilma’s Windsor castle for salt cod johnny cakes- really tasty- for lunch and to the airport to leave car and checked luggage. My plan was to get a taxi and go to driftwood or sunset til our 3:30 pm flight out:; but nervous johnny was afraid we’d miss our flight, so I conceded and we had a few drinks at the plantation café. John kept wanting to go toward the boarding area, but I resisted. Finally, we stepped out for one more cigarette and gaze at the beauty. When we came in, they were paging all over for us to come to boarding area! John went nuts, but I laughed and said “somebody has to be the last on”. needless to say, he didn’t find it funny and I had to get “the lecture” regarding next time. Left on time and early into charlotte- might have been earlier if not for some stragglers! Customs went fast- several lanes open. 4 hour layover and into Louisville a little early. Home by 1 am and pooped.

Conclusion: we fell in love with sxm and already starting plans to return. Not enough time for everything, but we spent some useless time finding our way around- shouldn’t be so bad next time. We never made it to cupecoy beach. We looked down at it and it looked nice, but is there another way to get to it besides the hike down the steps? It wasn’t the going down that bothered me, but getting back up after a few drinks and carrying our beach garb! We took $1500 in cash and 1 capitol one card and did fine. Atms are plentiful, but frequently out-of-order. Would stay at sapphire again if upkeep continues, just wish there was a grill area and better beach towel exchange system- soon learned to hoard them! There are safes in the room that work fine and daily maid service- which many rci resorts don’t have. I will try to post pictures later if I can figure out the method. Hope this can be a little help to newcomers to this great little island!

Beckylynn

[Linked Image]