Day 3

I hadn't expected the cats. They appeared at our door late the previous afternoon as we headed out for some end-of-day sun before moseying along to the Famed & Feared Cheese&Wine bash. The first to appear was a black furry bedraggled beauty with bright eyes. In short order, it was joined by a tabby with a notched ear. We later learned that this means it has been spayed or neutered. At day's end when we headed back for bed, there they were still. We duly ignored them and this morning, when we drew back the curtain at the front door, there were those bright eyes looking in on us from a dark face.

After our morning beach walk and had picked up breakfast they had increased in number to three and were getting pretty vocal. By this time were were starting to make the connection between their presence and the ziplock bag of  kibble we found under the kitchen sink. Previous occupants had obviously been feeding them and they knew that our unit equalled food. Well, we had a few options open to us but The Goddess, doubtlessly recognizing that cats were also deities in ancient Egypt, decided to dispense some Food &Love on them as well. Maybe not the smartest thing to do because we will probably have to keep on feeding them but definitely the line of least resistance as we were able to have our breakfast outdoors and in peace.
Another first this morning: walking naked along a public beach. We were up early and decided to do the beach walk. I was trying to wear a sarong to cover up when we went past Pedro's and checked out the beach bars for a likely lunch stop. It was pretty breezy and the sarong would not stay in place and eventually it was what the hell?. There were a lot of other naked walkers so now we understand the lay of the land, so to speak. We won't be as concerned tomorrow.

This morning's swim of the beach started at Papagayo this time. Swimming with the waves is much less of a workout but much kinder on the eyes-- less splashing in your face. Because it was easier, I did it again in the afternoon, rewarding myself with a trip to The Perch to breathlessly order a drink from an amused Willie.

My current reading is William Boyd's latest, Waiting For Sunrise. I have been a fan since his Brazaville Beach and this new one about a reluctant WW1 spy is very involving and quickly so. With its European setting, it's a somehow appropriate read for St Martin.

In amongst all this, we managed to get some lunch. On previous trips we ate rather a lot but this time, we're going to try to eat more lightly. We had been recommended to try out Ethnic but it was closed today so we went into Orange Fever and split a French Burger. Do you know what Camembert is?, asked our server. Oh, yes! Looking forward to it.

So, now we are thinking about a final walk along the beach before opening a bottle of red and having a simple supper of pâté and cheeses before an early night.

[Linked Image]