Short and to the point Trip report 5/19-5/27

Flights: US airways

Trip down was fantastic both legs of flight we were ahead of schedule.

Trip back was really interesting, we were on time BUT when we arrived in Charlotte we were put in a holding area because our gate was still occupied by a plane that had mechanical problems. It took about 25 minutes for them to find our plane another gate. We had 1.5 hours between connections so the time was getting short. When we got to immigration there were about 300 people in line. When we cleared immigration we ran to get our bags and headed to security. We got thru security my wife ran to the gate (one advantage of a younger wife) which was the first one in the terminal as soon as we got on they closed the door and off we went. Luggage was delivered to house next day but that’s OK at least we got home.

Car rental:

Unity no problem as usually, a little delay in getting picked up but no big deal. Smooth pick up and drop off, no more than 5 minutes. Michael is very nice and good to work with.

Phone rental:

Sharon from Queen of SXM. Good as ever

Club Orient:

We love the place. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Trying to save some cash we booked a mini suite instead of a chalet. We ended upgrading to a garden chalet. We like extra pillows so I e mailed the resort and they were there when we arrived.

We go the same time every year and found this year a little quieter and less busy. We know other couples who upgraded or changed resorts to Club O with no problem, last year you could not make the change.

Saw some old friends and met so new ones. Club O has the friendliest quests in the world.

It was very windy most of the week. You never really got hot because of the wind.

Can’t wait for next year.

Food:

Lunch ;( in no particular order)

Papagayos and the Perch: Ate there much more this year. It’s getting to be more of a hassle to get dress and walk down the beach for lunch. Good service and pretty good food. Real nice burgers.

Andy and Cheryl’s : My wife loves the mussels so we made the trip. Usually it’s twice but just once this year (Sand gravity)

McDonalds: We went jewelry shopping and I asked what she wanted for lunch and she said a cheeseburger from McDonalds. She very rarely eats fast food at home so for her it’s a treat.

Sunset Beach Bar: It’s a tradition on the last day before we take off to have a burger before we leave. Excellent.

Supper:

Tutta Pasta: Our favorite. Warren and Patricia a very nice plus very very good food

Greenhouse: Good clam chowder, meals ok at best.

Talk of the town: We love it, $12.00 for chicken and ribs and 3 sides and they throw in the smoke for nothing.

LePiment (SP) it’s in Orient Village. We went with our new friends Steve and Wendy. Very nice, very French. Very gourmet. Excellent food.

Pineapple Pete’s: Consistently good food and service.

Activities:

Peggy and Paul’s C/O cruise: This is was our 4th time we have gone with Captain Paul and will do it again. Unfortunately Peggy was sick and could not go. The Captain did a fine job alone. Met some real nice people. Lots of fun. Sea was pretty rough.

Island:

Very green lots of rain in the early part of May and we also had some showers. With the rain the bugs were out in force.

Never felt unsafe.

The “Friendly Island” at least that’s what they call themselves. I will say the majority of people were pleasant but had encounters with 2 different people that should read the slogan. We went to a restaurant and asked the security (who works for the restaurant) where we could park; he bit my head off and said rudely OVER THERE. I said OK the restaurant doesn’t want our business so off to another. We drop off our luggage at the airport and asked a woman in the info booth where was the machine to pay for parking. She was too busy watching a movie on her I Pad and just pointed.

Thanks as always to Jim and Mary Rous from Caribbean island travel. Have to be some of the nicest people on earth.