Tuesday morning it looked as if the storm clouds were finally on their way out of the area. We packed up and headed out to Baie Rouge, where we were carefully directed into a parking spot by a young man whose shirt indicated he works for Gus’ Beach Bar. I immediately asked if the c/o beyond the white umbrella policy was still in effect. He replied that nudity was acceptable anywhere on this beach, and there are no police inspecting the area to tell people how to dress. This took me by surprise, and I was quick to also notice the “Nudity Prohibited” sign had been replaced by a “Swim at your own risk” sign.
I asked the young man if they still rented pool floats, and he said no, but they did offer beach cushions that could double as a float. The standard foam rubber floats we rented back in 2006 were cracked and weather-worn even back then, and had probably become useless in subsequent years.
So, for the first time ever, we set up shop au naturale near the water directly in front of Gus’ Beach Bar.
Contrary to our 50/50 experience with the c/o – textile ratio on Happy Bay, we were in a very small minority on Baie Rouge. But our fellow sun worshippers were as tolerant and accepting as the patrons of Happy Bay; we garnered no more than mild interest from beach walkers and couples reclining nearby.
So, it appears that while Orient Beach is becoming increasingly restrictive about nudity outside of Club Orient, restrictions are simultaneously becoming more relaxed (or even abandoned) on other French side beaches that have enjoyed de facto c/o status in the past. Is it an effort to be more accommodating to repeat naturist visitors while continuing to promote Orient as family-friendly? Or is this just a low season event? As our beach boy from Gus’s put it: “Things always change here”.

An almost imperceptible gathering of rain clouds followed our arrival around 11:00, and we began to fear another overcast and drizzly day. But time gradually solved that dilemma. The clouds dissipated as slowly as they had appeared, and we were eventually rewarded with abundant sunshine.
The beach cushions were foam rubber, wrapped in material identical to the beach chair covers, and they were considerably heavier than the traditional ones we are accustomed too...especially when they got wet. Getting them out of the water was much harder than putting them in, and the surf and undertow would frequently take it from my hands and send it either torwards the shore, or back out to sea. Combine that with the super-soft sand, and you have a mini battle on your hands. It was still worth it though. Floating on my stomach in the water is much more comfortable than lying prone on a beach chair. Once past the shore, it only took occasional paddling to stay at the right distance between sea and shore, and within sight of P. Baie Rouge is a pretty hot beach, but we lasted almost four hours there nonetheless. All and all, a good beach day.