This year, as usual, we tried out some new restaurants and went back to some old favorites. We never cook dinner ourselves, but on occasion will miss dinner cuz we ate a late lunch. Let me say up front our dinners always consisted of 2 glasses of wine for me and a couple of beers for Don. <br><br>Dinner - $80 to $100 for 2:<br>Spiga in Grand Case is a great new find. We had an outstanding dinner of lobster ravioli and linguini with tiger shrimp, along with an appetizer of buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes (fresh form the garden!) and a desert of tiramisu, which was to die for. Service from Laura and Ciro was excellent and personal. We sat on the porch which was protected from the wind with Plexiglas which was a little different – I think I would sit inside the next time.<br><br>Saratoga in Simpson Bay is one of the more romantic restaurants in my opinion if you sit on the veranda overlooking the Bay. The crab and lobster cakes were an excellent choice for an appetizer and the mahi-mahi and rib eye steak were nicely prepared. Only disappointment was the dessert menu – believe it or not, we couldn’t find anything on it that floated our boat – so we went with the cognacs instead.<br><br>Tropicana at the Marigot marina has never failed to meet our expectations. Reservations are a must and one of the first we make, as we like to sit at the first table overlooking the marina. A steady stream of customers, those with reservations were happy and those without were not. I had a snapper dish and Don the beef filet. Both were excellent. However the profiterolles were the hit of the evening. Totally awesome!<br><br>L’Alabama and Le Cottage in Grand Case are perennial favorites. I had snapper in both places and Don had beef and I can add nothing to what has already been reported many times on this board. Karen and Pascal at L’Alabama and Stehpane and Bruno at Le Cottage add to the dining experience and are gracious hosts.<br><br>Moderate Dining - $40 to $80 for 2<br>Peg Leg Pub – what can I say – we went there twice and for a good reason – they have the most mouth-watering filets on the island. Mary Lou and Buzz joined us the second time and Sean took good care of us both times. Plus they have some creative T-shirts we purchased this year.<br><br>Hideaway – Ran into Augie and Sue, they were leaving as we arrived so they were able to make a couple of recommendations. First time we have eaten here other than at a TTOL party last year. You dine at poolside and the food was quite good. Again Don had a filet and I a seafood pasta dish that was full of fresh shrimp and Caribbean lobster – quite yummy.<br><br>Le Plongeoir on the Marigot waterfront just past the West Indies Mall. Went here based on a couple of comments I picked up from other posts and our experience just proves the again the value of TTOL – we never would have gone here otherwise – wouldn’t have even know it existed and this place was real find. It is small with limited inside seating (which gives you a view of Anguilla) and road level seating outside. We had stopped in when we were shopping one day just to look over the menu and the gal (whose name I have forgotten) reviewed the entire menu with us. I had the Asian Plate, which consisted of 5 large duck spring rolls with an Asian dipping sauce, and they were absolutely heavenly. Don had a duck dish – thinly sliced duck breast in an Asian sauce also. Presentation was artistic and service was attentive. One funny thing happened – I went to the bathroom and the door which was about 6 inches thick and heavier than you know what, fell off the hinges. So there I am totally shocked trying to hold up the door so it doesn’t fall on someone. Don and another guy finally saw the look on my face and realized I needed help so all was well – I must admit I never had that experience before.<br><br>Tutta Pasta in Simpson Bay still had excellent pasta, however I think they are challenged from a service perspective with the addition of the veranda tables. Service was extremely slow and it wasn’t because they weren’t hustling. I just think that number of tables needs more than 2 servers. Leon, Patrice, and Warren were welcoming as usual and the pasta was very enjoyable.<br><br>Hot Tomatoes I am sorry to report did not live up to our expectations. Don had a steak he sent back and I had the mahi-mahi, which really was not at all tasty. The mashed potatoes were very weird. I would not go back and order a dinner off the menu – however, I understand the pizzas are really pretty good. It was a disappointment.<br><br>Le Ti au Coin in Grand Case is another find. Carl is the owner chef and totally delightful. The menu is Creole and the prices very reasonable. We were driving thru Grand Case one day and I stopped the car in the middle of the road (see how fast I adapt to local customs?) to peer at the chalkboard menu. Carl sees us and comes running out with the menu and tells us what he recommends. I had seafood stew and Don a shrimp dish and both were very excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back.<br><br>Lunches<br>Baywatch – what can I say – only place we eat at Orient Beach anymore. Just really like the personalized service from Cheryl and Andy. Throughout the 2 weeks we had the chicken tenders, the shrimp salad, the fish and chips, a burger, the scallop lunch, the ribs, the flank steak hoagie, the Philly cheesesteak hoagie and a few more I have forgotten. Washed down with several Caribs and we were happy. This is the place to be if you want to run into TTOL folks – Wendell, Sheila, Gretchen and Leslie and Mr. and Mrs. Sugarrae to name a few.<br><br>La Belle Epoque in the Marina in Marigot is an old favorite. I love their pizza and draft beer. Don particularly loves the fact that he can sit there and I jump up and go shopping and come back for a rest and then go out shopping again – you get the picture. They are always busy which I think really says something. We were talking to a couple from a cruise who went there based on a recommendation from a friend who had been there off a cruise the year before!<br><br>Rics at the bridge in Simpson Bay always meets our need for something easy and quick. I have to have their Grande Nachos once a trip not cuz they are the best I have ever had but because they are a long-standing tradition for us. The fact they have ice hockey games on screen is a plus. Ric and Kathy were delightful as always and they sure do work hard – I can’t imagine having a restaurant open 14 hours a day and one of them always there. <br><br>Several dinners were spent on our rooftop terrace and consisted of wine and cheese - very romantic! Yes, after all this we did gain weight – I wasn’t even trying to watch what I ate or drank – I was on vacation after all!!! St Martin did not fail to delight us yet again!<br><br>

MB