Member Spotlight
MrTim-BTV
MrTim-BTV
Essex Junction, VT
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Marc1000
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (louismcc, vetteguy, lhbsurf, mark37, Kennys, GeorgeC1, Fitzhughlaw, cbinparadise, Lionsail, 4 invisible), 548 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Crewed Charter Tip Amount? #129780
05/10/2017 09:04 AM
05/10/2017 09:04 AM
Michigan
M
michellepvm Offline OP
Traveler
michellepvm  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Michigan
My husband and I are going to be on a crewed charter in the BVIs and wondered what is proper etiquette for tipping the crew. Meaning, how much is customary? If we don't carry that much cash, how do people tip? Thank you for your help.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: michellepvm] #129781
05/10/2017 10:22 AM
05/10/2017 10:22 AM
Texas
Boondox Offline
Traveler
Boondox  Offline
Traveler
Texas
LianeLeTendre said:
TMM has posted on their website:

WHAT IS THE TYPICAL GRATUITY?

Skippers work hard to provide the best possible service to their clients. If they have done a good job for you, they will appreciate a gratuity at the conclusion of the charter. A rule of thumb is $350-$500 for a one week charter.

A one-day Check-Out Skipper (COS) gratuity would be a percentage of the fee of $175. Twenty-five dollars tip for a COS would be a good rule of thumb. All gratuities are optional.

Horizon Yacht Charters has this posted on their website:

We provide professional skippers and cooks at all our bases. Their fees do not include food and beverages and optional gratuity. Crew gratuities are usually based on 10 to 15% of the charter fee.

Sunsail States:

The average tip for a skipper is 15 to 20 percent of the skipper’s fee. This is, of course, at the client’s discretion.

The Moorings website says:

What should we tip our crew? The quality of service should dictate the gratuity. As a guideline, we suggest an average of 15-20% of the total charter cost for Crewed Yacht Charters, and 15-20% of the daily Skipper fee for Skippered Bareboat Sailing or Power Yacht Charters.

Conch Charters says:

Gratuities are greatly appreciated upon completion of the charter and usually a minimum of $30 a day.

I stopped looking at this point, but most companies have an FAQ which answers this question. If they don't, they should ... so ask them!

As you can see, the recommended gratuities are all over the map! I was recently chastised by an unhappy captain because I told a customer that the going rate was about 20% of the captain's fee ... or more provided they were super happy with him.

I was told (by the captain) that it should have been 10 to 15% of the charter fee, which came as news to me!

The best thing to do is to find out (before booking) what the expected captain's gratuity will be. Nobody wants their captain to go off in a huff after a great time out on the water. I think the industry really needs to get this sorted out, as it is definitely causing problems.

When a bareboat skipper is hired, he or she should be told the charter company policy on tipping and they would then have the option to accept the job or not.

So I suggest you ask your broker or the charter company what their policy is and get it in writing.

One of the companies above says one thing on their website ... but in practice, they say something quite different. Their website has likely never been updated. It's easy to miss these things.

Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: michellepvm] #129782
05/10/2017 10:29 AM
05/10/2017 10:29 AM
C
cfernandes Offline
cfernandes  Offline
C
15% to 20% of charter cost. I have always used a check.

Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: cfernandes] #129783
05/10/2017 11:55 AM
05/10/2017 11:55 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
The above is the norm for a crewed charter. They are doing a tremendous amount of work prepping the boat pre charter plus waiting on you hand and foot with all cooking and cleaning done. If you tip 20% of the charter amount they each get 10%.
If on the other hand you are simply placing a skipper on board to drive the boat the same percentages are fine but based off his actual skipper fee. In that case you are doing all the work and he is not splitting the tip.

Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: GeorgeC1] #182706
02/01/2019 06:28 PM
02/01/2019 06:28 PM
southeast us
M
milkman Offline
milkman  Offline
M
southeast us
We are chartering a 60ft boat with a captain and 2 crew----the cost of the charter is substantial and adding 15-20% to that amount seems out of line and would be increasing their crew compensation by a factor of 10.

Is there a middle ground that would show appreciation but not be quite so grand?

Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: milkman] #182709
02/01/2019 06:54 PM
02/01/2019 06:54 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
When communicating with the charter company ask them to email the details about tipping when they reply to your inquiry and then go from there ,if the service is superb then tip them well

Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: michellepvm] #182751
02/02/2019 12:23 PM
02/02/2019 12:23 PM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
We are doing the same in November. Their package stated 15-20% gratuity is “suggested”. My question is, do I tip off of my discounted charter or tip from the original price? Either way, wow is that a lot of money. I certainly don’t want to come off as cheap. But man.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: michellepvm] #182787
02/02/2019 04:53 PM
02/02/2019 04:53 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
USVI
!5 -20% of the cost of a crewed charter is the industry norm - the crew are experienced professionals who make every effort to make your vacation the best possible experience, working both before and during your time on the boat and they depend on and have an expectation of a fair tip - depending on the service of course.
Crew make very little money if there is not a charter aboard, so the weeks they do have a charter are very important to the years income. Catering to every individual, anticipating needs, putting out great food, keeping the boat spotless, keeping everyone safe, having a smile and a perfect attitude are all part of the job - and it is not always easy - guests are often demanding and have little concept of simple boat etiquette and practices, having paid a substantial charter cost they occasionally treat crew a bit disrespectful or have no regard for the vessel and the work it takes to keep it safe and ship shape. The emotional dynamics alone that take place sometimes between the charter group themselves is always a tricky negotiation for crew when individuals share such a confined and unfamiliar space for a week.
!5-20% gratuity is not an unreasonable reward if the crew exercising their experience on many levels makes your vacation the best ever. Booking a return charter, because of their effort, next season is the best compliment you can pay as well.
I have had charter guests who over 30 years later are still some of my most valued friends.

Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: michellepvm] #182796
02/02/2019 06:25 PM
02/02/2019 06:25 PM
B.C. Canada
dreamin42long Offline
Traveler
dreamin42long  Offline
Traveler
B.C. Canada
I'm Canadian so I am a cheap tipper. But when the wife and I were on a Crewed Charter in 2002 on a Monohull we were treated like royalty. The food was GREAT!! The insights the captain had around the BVI from years of experience were Fantastic. The wife and I are NOT boaters and the captain made sure every nite was in a quiet bay so we weren't tossed around in our sleep. The crew went out of their way to make our trip a "trip of a lifetime". And they Succeeded BIG time!!!!!!!! We both treated them with respect as they deserved as they were the professionals that they were and showed it. I gave the biggest tip of my life to this crew and don't regret it in any way. (more than I actually had planned on giving too)

They worked hard everyday for OUR enjoyment, pleasure and safety. We saw and did things I never dreamed of and got to do all the things I had researched and wanted to do. As we are not boaters/sailors this was the best way for us to experience the BVI. Want to do it again but life keeps getting in the way. But we do still dream about it a lot.

Dreamin42long

God will forgive you.... Mother Nature won't. Please DON'T LITTER

[Linked Image]
Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: michellepvm] #183334
02/07/2019 04:28 AM
02/07/2019 04:28 AM
Med/ Caribbean
sailbynight Offline
Traveler
sailbynight  Offline
Traveler
Med/ Caribbean
The booking agent will have the correct answer for you and your charter.

A crewed charter is typically offered 10-20% of Charter total. The agent handling the charter will explain the process, and the customary gratuity. Before your charter, you will wire an Advance Provisioning Allowance to the boat. This will cover your fuel, docking, provisioning, water, etc. The captain will reckon the total on your final night or morning. At this time, it is typical to review the charter with the captain and offer tip for the crew.

Re: Crewed Charter Tip Amount? [Re: michellepvm] #183370
02/07/2019 02:45 PM
02/07/2019 02:45 PM
Lake of the Ozarks
Lakegirl72 Offline
Lakegirl72  Offline
Lake of the Ozarks
We are captaining a bareboat power cat charter ourselves. The boat will be stocked with our provisions upon our arrival. Any recommendation on leaving a tip for the dock/cleaning crew upon our departure? Seems like they deserve something.