Member Spotlight
pasnyder
pasnyder
Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
tams
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (JeanneB, Halcyon, bailau, ChiTownHarry, CJIMI, eightzerobits, pandpfromcanada, boucharda, BlueMoc, Kevin_B, wendyk, jrw, WWII, Buddyhog, Alltech63, SeeDiver, bostonbob, marisol, Fletch, DannynGinger, nevar37, RickBlaine, davidandsusannj, luvtotravel, Cleobeach, 13 invisible), 1,271 guests, and 99 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Day 2: Off Again #18353
01/15/2013 06:16 PM
01/15/2013 06:16 PM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline OP
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Jan. 14: Off Again
I got up around 7:00 and headed over to Café Ole for breakfast, Keith was already there catching up on some e-mails. All the crew arrived yesterday so the plan was to set sail this morning, the first day of the charter.
[Linked Image]
Fishermen tending their nets on the channel to Rodney Bay

We had a nice sail down the coast to our usual anchorage below Petit Piton, we had hoped to stop at Anse Cochon for some snorkeling but the swells were running and the visibility wouldn’t have been good. We took a mooring and had one of the boat boys take our stern line to shore and tie it off to a tree that keeps our bow into the swells and reduces the rolling of the boat.
[Linked Image]
Skyelark anchored at the Pitons

After a quick swim and a beer Dan took us to shore in the dingy and we walked along the coast road into Soufriere. The mangos are in season and the ground under some of the trees were littered with overripe fruit, it was tempting to try to climb up a tree and pick a few, but not being as spry as I was in my youth I thought better of it.
[Linked Image]
Soufriere from the coast road

We also passed some papaya trees on which the fruit was starting to ripen and a cocoa tree that I never noticed before with one green cocoa pod on it. As we neared the town we came across some goats grazing on the hillside, some very small kids stayed close to their moms for protection, apparently they got word of our meal in Cumberland Bay last month. As we were walking through the fishing village at the outskirts of town I heard a small voice call “Big Sam” I looked and it was a young lad of about 13, at first I couldn’t figure out how he knew me then I realized it must have been one of the kids I sent to find Boomer on my last visit. Our first stop was the ice cream shop across from the gas station. We tried a variety of different flavors including Guinness and Sea Moss; the Guinness was sweet with only the slightest hint of beer flavor and the Sea Moss was heavily seasoned with cinnamon, both tasted much nicer than might be imagined. Soufriere is such a quaint town the ice cream stand is located in the back of a small shop that sells auto supplies such as motor oil and signal bulbs; I really love the resourcefulness of the people in the Caribbean. After our refreshing treats we continued our walk around town stopping at Debby’s shop, located across from the town square, to buy some souvenirs. She has a nice variety of quality goods that you don’t see in the other shops and her prices are very reasonable; I picked up a beach towel as my last one blew overboard in Canouan last month she has some beautiful pictures painted on banana leaves and I plan to buy one when I stay in Soufriere after the charter. We decided to walk the Hummingbird for a drink, the setting there is more upscale than the other bars in town and they make all the fancy Caribbean drinks that you picture when you dream of a nice beach vacation.
[Linked Image]
Arvil at the Hummingbird

I texted Dan to let him know where we were and he came to the dock outside of the Still Beach House, next door to the Hummingbird to pick us up and take us back to Skyelark. We had some pre-dinner cocktails in the cockpit and then Benny Jr. arrived in his water taxi to take us to the restaurant. The swells were still running so he took us to the town dock where a taxi was waiting to drive us to the restaurant, all arranged by the restaurant at no charge. It was funny to take this circuitous route when we were anchored a mere two minute dingy ride from the restaurant itself. Our meals were accompanied by local pumpkin soup and the entrees were very good as usual. After being returned to the yacht everyone made their way to their bunks after our full day. Arvil and I stayed in the cockpit and took advantage of the clear skies and the multitude of stars in the sky with the piton looming in the background, absolutely beautiful.
[Linked Image]
Another beautiful sunset from the beach at the Stil Beach House

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!
Sponsors
Re: Day 2: Off Again [Re: Sunset_Sammy] #18354
01/16/2013 03:24 PM
01/16/2013 03:24 PM
Framingham,MA
Margie Offline
Traveler
Margie  Offline
Traveler
Framingham,MA
I love reading all your travel reports. Thank you! Enjoy!

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva