Member Spotlight
bdeeley
bdeeley
United States of America
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
7 registered members (IWIWSE, Jeff thorton, Mikel, MNsnowbird, 3 invisible), 1,015 guests, and 55 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Newbie Prep #186662
03/08/2019 01:25 PM
03/08/2019 01:25 PM
Toronto, ON
B
Bgs Offline OP
Traveler
Bgs  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Toronto, ON
Hello,

We have enjoyed chartering as a couple and with our kids a few times.Next year it will be our first time "hosting" 3 other couples for a total of 8 people. All of them are comfortable around water, cottages et cetera, we have traveled with all of them in smaller sub groups to various places.
However none of them have been to the BVIs or on a Sailboat overnight. I have seen some great preperation lists, and even a guide book for (i think) grandchildren. These lists and guides did a great job of outling and managing expectations. I have been doing searches but evidently am not using the correct search words.Does anyone have any suggestions for me as first time host, or material to give first timers? (Or good search words). Our trip is right now tentative for April 2020, looking at booking the boat in late April early May to get every "bought in" officially.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

BVI Sponsors
Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186667
03/08/2019 02:11 PM
03/08/2019 02:11 PM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Not sure if this is what you are looking for. But I thought it was very well put together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6b5f0ks4...anual%20-%20Generic%20-%20Word.docx?dl=0

Originally posted by aarpskier

Last edited by ndfaninnc; 03/08/2019 02:14 PM.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186671
03/08/2019 03:01 PM
03/08/2019 03:01 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
That is really cool...

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186672
03/08/2019 03:16 PM
03/08/2019 03:16 PM
Fairfax, VA
GW248 Offline
Traveler
GW248  Offline
Traveler
Fairfax, VA
Hi Brian,

Did you come across this thread? thread

I thought RickG had a list but I couldn't find it, but there is some info that may be of interest in the above thread if you have not seen it yet.

Rick

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186689
03/08/2019 07:36 PM
03/08/2019 07:36 PM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point

there should be several excellent check lists for the skipper, to understand all of the vessels systems, and make sure that all of the crew and passengers are famiiar .

Also, are you going to rotate the cooking duties among the passengers, and crew so that no one is obligated every night to cook dinners for everyone. Or will you add on a combined cook, bartender, and crew person.

Are you going to fully provision and have all of those delivered to the vessel before you sail. All of that will have to be securely stowed for passages.

You need to personally ask each and every person if they have any medical problems and if they are taking any presecriptions, or use any medical aids.

I have to bail , at this time, but will return with other ideas on sailiging with inexperienced crews and 8 people on board.

Thank you

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186696
03/08/2019 08:16 PM
03/08/2019 08:16 PM
Michigan
I
IWIWSE Online content
Traveler
IWIWSE  Online Content
Traveler
I
Michigan
Respectfully,
The medical conditions I may have and the prescriptions I may
take is something I discuss with whom I choose

Mike

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186698
03/08/2019 09:21 PM
03/08/2019 09:21 PM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point

Mike,

if you are on my vessel, you can chose to discuss privately what your medical situation is with me, the capt. or stay home. End of discussion on that. in fact, with what ever medical problem you may have,apparently it is significant, and
for your own safety, and the charter itself, you would be better off not be on board. i

For the OP.

I have been a professional U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Capt, for 30 pus years, and have lots of experience sailing world wide, and as a full time capt .

Lets see if we can help you out.

1. Even tho you have a large catamaran, and you have invited people on a cruise, those unfamiliar are going to think CRUISE SHIP, That is definitely not the case, You on on board a boat, and not staying at the St. Regis.

2. Everyone on board should have a job, or responsibility , a job, on board the vessel, You can make a list of the different jobs that are required for a happy and safe and responsible , sharing cruise.
Find out who wants to help out in several different categories, !st Mate, helping out the skipper with helm time, navigating, hauling up sails, stowing fenders, and dock lines, picking up moorings, and other duties.
They should also go thru the systems briefing with the skipper, and be able to help out and refresh the other passengers on how those systems, work. Also, help with sailing the vessel, and trimming sails.

3. Assign others to : Helping with docking for water and fuel, and also mooring pick ups.

4, Others can help out keeping the vessel clean , tidy and squared away, Stowing gear, and inventory so nothing can go adrift. Other can help with fixing meals and assisting the cook, bartender, crew person.

Highly recommending having a cook on board, and give them some help.

5. A tidy squared away vessel is very important. Each person is responsible for making up their own racks and berth areas.

6. Trash removal , marine head cleaning, etc.

There are no slaves on board the boat, it takes everyone to have a happy boat and everyone getting along.

Shirkers, the lame and lazy, and those who do not contribute can ruin a cruise.
Also, NO COMPLAINING to others about anything. If there is a problem , they should talk with the Captain , who is you. You sort out and fix the problem.

7. Stress, well before the trip, that this is a boat, and CONVERSATION IS VERY IMPORTANT. That means short showers , and water conservation. As well as electrical, You are on an Island, and when your
natural resourses are expended, out are flat out.

Gotta git , dinner is ready

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: ndfaninnc] #186700
03/08/2019 10:06 PM
03/08/2019 10:06 PM
Toronto, ON
B
Bgs Offline OP
Traveler
Bgs  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Toronto, ON
Hello,

Thank you all for the feedback so far. The Dropbox Word document was one of the ones I was thinking about. It is great.
For food, we are not looking at a cook, but I have budgeted one meal ashore each day.
We have camped/cottaged together so we have a bit of experience feeding each other in unique situations.
Not sure if that is too naive, but that is my current thinking.
Although I really am pondering provisioning amounts.
I am still listening and taking notes.
Thank you very much.

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186712
03/09/2019 01:32 AM
03/09/2019 01:32 AM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point

BGS

Sounds like you are going to do you own provisioning... we do that now, but there is just two of us and only provision for breakfast, lunch and snacks. Erica spoils herself now , all dinners out. But, on previous charters, she
has cooked breakfasts and dinners for 7 people . No more of that. The Admiral has spoken. Eating dinners out , plus adult beverages is going to cost a lot of dabloons for 8 people .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Provisioning:

You may want to get everyone together, well ahead of your trip, sort out who wants what, and any required diatary needs. Have a plan, have a list .

A good plan is to make a list and send a couple of people to the market, , or have the list e mailed or what ever to the market, and have the supermarket deliver the provisions to the boat.

When we originally began bare boat charteriing, BVI, TAHITI, other Caribbean Island Groups, etc., we ordered Partial or Split Provisioning, that provided breakfasts, lunches, snacks, booze, and dinners, some dinners were split ashore and some aboard. Just another idea tossed into the pot.

Self Provisioning.....

If the whole gang goes to the store, you are going to have a full blown , knock down, uncontrolled mele. 8 people , going 40 different directions, with their own idea of what should be purchased. Trust me, two people and the list.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also want to mentioned, you called your self a "host". Well, actually you are the Captain, the skipper, and you need to understand Skippers Responsibility , You are the skipper, and you are responsible for the safety of the boat and every person on board at all times in all conditions. Organizing duties and everyone working for the benefit of the entire crew will make a huge difference . You are experienced. You are the leader.

Oh, forgot about a dinghy captain. Sounds mickey mouse, but, if you have someone who is very familiar with dinks and outboard motors, good plan is to put them in charge of the dink as much as possible. That could get
swapped around, but just FYI. On several of our bare boat charters we have had outboard motor problems. Another good plan is to Lock up your dink ashore, and if there is a number painted on the dink, memorize it. With all of the dinks and many
bareboat companies, they all get to look the same , and it is easy to take someone elses dink. We also take the start/ shut down cord with us. There should be a dink cable, that you can secure the dink to the dock, and a paddlock.
The dink capt, is also responsible for dink fuel, and securing the dink to docks as well as the boat. You as skipper need to check that the dink is secured and placed properly for passages and mooring pick up and drop offs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another tip...

You may have people coming in from different areas, states, airlines, etc. Any late planes, missed flights, or cancelled flights can raise havock with your short scheduled sailing time. You could be delayed a day, or have to back track and return to port
to pick them up. Stress is not allowed in the BVI.

Suggest, prior to your leaving port date, that you plan on one or two days, at a fun hotel near your port of departure. Should any travel delays , or missed flghts , whatever, occur, you are covered, and are not rushed to make your boarding or departure time from the docks. Or losing a day of the charter. Have a little wiggle room to decompress from the travel folies, and take the worries out of any possible problems. Get on island time.

At the same time, you can have a meeting to organize crew duties and provisioning, latest up dated itineraries , and have a few pain klllers at the same time around the hotel swimming pool.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First mate and the skipper.

Suggest both of you order the Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands, by the Scotts. A superb publication for pre cruise planning, and while sailing the BVI. Outstanding with most everything that you need to know in all categories.

We have been sailing the marvelous BVI's for many decades and we always have the current edition with us, on each and every bare boat charter. The Cruising Guide will also be very helpful tor your guests. . Very important.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is great to have your family and good friends joining you, and the BVI are the greatest islands to introduce people to international sailing vacations.

The good times are on , and the party light is going to be illuminted.

Very pleased for you and your hearty crew.

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186724
03/09/2019 08:29 AM
03/09/2019 08:29 AM
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Wow, some boats I just really wouldn't want to be on!

Bgs - we are doing similar this year, for the past 5 years we've chartered in the BVI as a couple and before that our own yacht in the Caribbean for 10 years with family. This year we're taking another couple who have never been to BVI and never sailed before.

Same as you we've been on holiday with them before and so know 100% that they are absolutely the right people to have a fantastic time with us.

For me as skipper the first and most important thing is that they understand that when it comes to their safety and that of the boat, it is not a democracy. When it comes to decisions about where to eat / drink, what to do etc etc, it IS a democracy!

We have been giving them loads of info on what to expect, but not overwhelming them. Some stuff is more fun to discover for yourself.

We intend, as I think a lot of others do on this forum, to get them as involved as possible with sailing, mooring, dinghy, route planning etc. The more involved, the better their understanding, the more they enjoy, the safer they are in my opinion. Day 1 will have then behind the helm and learning the joy of switching the engine off and letting the sails do the work.

A few hard and fast rules we have - nobody touches a sheet or picks up a mooring line / mooring ball without sailing gloves on. Nobody on deck when mooring / anchoring without shoes on. When anchoring only one person within a meter of the windlass. Killcord worn at all times, without exception when dinghy is in gear. 'One hand for the boat' when moving around when under-way. And never compromise your own safety for that of the boat. Boats can be fixed. This seems most relevant with picking mooring balls, don't strain your back, don't flog yourself trying to save a botched approach. If you miss the ball it's skippers fault...always! And skipper never gets frustrated or annoyed when he has to make a second approach. Skipper never loses his/her cool.

Also, we run a silent boat when it comes to mooring/anchoring etc. My wife and I have hand-signals and discuss our approach, plan A and plan B before beginning the manoeuvre and have never had any issue communicating with 48ft between us in that fashion. It's a bug-bear of mine when you see a boat come into the bay with 5 people on the foredeck and 5 near the helm, all screaming/shouting/hooting/hollering at each other! These tend to be the people who take 6 attempts to hook a ball.

In another life I was a professional skipper and sailing instructor. I will be checking myself constantly to get the balance right between getting them involved, engaged and teaching them things...and recognising that it's a relaxing holiday, not a sailing school! This probably also applies to showing them all the amazing things in the BVI...nobody likes a know-all, so much stuff for them to enjoy discovering at their own pace rather than us being overzealous tour-guides.

Oh and yes...correct approach to showers and toilets is key to a successful charter!

Our monohulls never have generator. We take a high-spec portable battery pack and a hi-spec inverter with us (took a low spec one once and it caught fire...not good). When engine on we charge the battery pack, people can then charge all their devices from this during the rest of the day/night. From fully charged it will re-charge a laptop about 20 times, so never runs out between the 'engine-on' times. This saves any issues with draining the house batteries or fighting over the power outlets. Not an issue if you have a genny!

Last edited by Christo; 03/09/2019 08:33 AM.
Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186770
03/09/2019 06:13 PM
03/09/2019 06:13 PM
Northern IL
bagsarepacked Offline
Traveler
bagsarepacked  Offline
Traveler
Northern IL
Our first 3 trips we were blessed to go with friends who sailed and had been to the BVI more times than they could remember. Some of the great info (that has not yet been mentioned) as we were newbies.
They stressed packing light and suggested packing your clothes in plastic bags, helps save space and keeps them from getting damp.
If you run short on clothes, take them in the shower with you and let the water run over them as you take your quick shower, quick rinse and hang to dry. How dirty are they really anyway smile
Always Always Always have a bottle of water in your hand and drink more water than you normally would.
As for medical conditions, medicine etc ~ our friend who chartered the boat and was Capt had each of us list any meds, allergies to meds or conditions that may be important to know about in an emergency & place in a sealed envelope with our name on it. They were kept in easy to locate but safe place if needed and returned to us after the trip. I thought this was a great idea and respected our privacy, yet also would have helped us if needed.

Flash forward a bunch of years and now I am the trip planner. We hire a Captain and do our own cooking.
One thing we do that helps us out is bring some precooked, frozen meals with us. We eat 2 meals on the boat a day and one out. Having everything precooked and vacuum sealed makes for quick cooking and cleaning up. More time for fun. Someone mentioned everyone going to the store is chaotic...YUP! This year I am going a day early to do all the shopping etc to make that easier. When everyone else gets there the food and stuff will be loaded on the boat. Less stress!

Last edited by bagsarepacked; 03/09/2019 06:13 PM.
Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186800
03/09/2019 11:15 PM
03/09/2019 11:15 PM
Ft. Worth, TX
L
Lcrich Offline
Traveler
Lcrich  Offline
Traveler
L
Ft. Worth, TX
Give us some ideas of prepared meals. Kinda getting tired of the same old thing!

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: bagsarepacked] #186816
03/10/2019 08:06 AM
03/10/2019 08:06 AM
Toronto, ON
B
Bgs Offline OP
Traveler
Bgs  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Toronto, ON

Letting people discover BVIs for themselves and not be hyper tour guide was a good reminder. I could see us being so excited to show them this and that, we rob them of discovering it on their own.
Also appreciate the perspective of a first timer. I will be writing som elf that down.

A question that I realize does not have a specific answer, but for those who go to shore to eat once a day or so do you ever even attempt a budget for that? I was thinking of telling people $50/ person per day, $100/couple. (No big drinkers).

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186818
03/10/2019 08:25 AM
03/10/2019 08:25 AM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
When packing remember..you'll probably buy T shirts as you bop round the islands..why not wear them as you go and bring less down with you.

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Bgs] #186833
03/10/2019 11:15 AM
03/10/2019 11:15 AM
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
BGS - We have told our friends to budget $120 per day and $200 for the day we're on Anegada (plus an extra few hundred overall just in case...). They have, prudently, already changed this amount from £ to $ given that our brain-dead country will be walking its economy off a cliff in a few weeks time.

This figure includes half the mooring fee.

We generally tend to do most drinking aboard (given that a bottle of rum costs about the same as the average painkiller ashore!)...but always a few drinks ashore and our White Bay and Cow Wreck days will be far more. Generally planning for a light lunch ashore and then aiming for takeaway to eat aboard most nights. Again, first night and Anegada will likely be proper eat ashore nights.

...oh and have told them to be prepared for the airport taxes each way on top.

No idea if this number will be correct. As everyone says, you always end up needing twice the cash and half the clothes!

Given the amount the boat and flights cost, its probably better to manage people's expectations and have them budget more than you think they will need. Better that they are pleasantly surprised, rather than feeling the pinch whilst out there.

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Christo] #186860
03/10/2019 04:17 PM
03/10/2019 04:17 PM
Toronto, ON
B
Bgs Offline OP
Traveler
Bgs  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Toronto, ON
Thanks for all the notes Christo et al, I appreciate it.

I am going to start another thread with the budget I am working on to see where my estimates land.

Re: Newbie Prep [Re: Lcrich] #186945
03/11/2019 03:19 PM
03/11/2019 03:19 PM
Northern IL
bagsarepacked Offline
Traveler
bagsarepacked  Offline
Traveler
Northern IL
Originally Posted by Lcrich
Give us some ideas of prepared meals. Kinda getting tired of the same old thing!

We keep it super simple! These are not super original or creative but they work for us and serve as either lunch, dinner or we've been drinking and need food. Everything is precooked except what I noted:
Turkey Taco meat is good for tacos or nachos for a light lunch
Pulled pork
Bratwurst & chicken sausage
Meatballs ~ for either an app or to toss in pasta for our pasta night
Roast beef from Portillos for hot beef sammys.....some of you may know the name...great hot dog / beef joint in Chicago
Diced ham & slices for with egg bakes /sandwiches.
Homemade beef jerky
Turkey sausage crumbles for breakfast.

Steak tips that are pre-marinated and grill ready.
Costco sells this pre cooked, vacuum sealed turkey breast that we bring for slicing for sandwiches etc.

Adding this year, 2 tubes of Pillsbury pizza crust I have looked on the island and cannot find it.

One thing we did last time that was not planned but we will do again now on purpose. We made way too many potatoes on the grill in foil packets one night but they were great to have the next few mornings with breakfast smile

Last edited by bagsarepacked; 03/11/2019 03:22 PM.
Re: Newbie Prep [Re: bagsarepacked] #187156
03/12/2019 06:35 PM
03/12/2019 06:35 PM
Toronto, ON
B
Bgs Offline OP
Traveler
Bgs  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Toronto, ON
Excellent. Thanks