Member Spotlight
pat
pat
Brookfield, CT.
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (sailingbob, WWII, eightzerobits, Swifty, taraavo, Snorkeller, RickinAtlanta, ColoBoater, Brian&Andi, candu, PML, MrEZgoin, Todd_Melinda_K, mark37, bostonbob, UncleLuff, duckfat, timnboston, MKGrey, caribbeangirl13, charlie, Travel Talker, Manpot, deliveryskipper, diver67, StMartinFan, steve74, Kathleen, Memphré, nevar37, 14 invisible), 1,054 guests, and 60 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189421
04/01/2019 06:04 PM
04/01/2019 06:04 PM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
Keep in mind, there's 32 pages of posts here and how many individual users? How many people charter in the BVI? TTOL is popular, but I wouldn't say it is representative of all those chartering in the BVI - might not even be representative of the majority.

Personally, I like the concept of BB, but I'm not sure I like the implementation. I don't want to be concerned with getting online right at 7am to reserve a ball. No more then I want to rush to get a ball at 2pm though. Although prior to Irma (since I haven't been back since) there were only a few spots where this was necessary. Cooper as one example. We've ended up arriving too late to get a ball before and just moved on.

Rather then reserving a ball for that night at 7am, I'd much rather see the ability to reserve a ball a week in advance. At a spot like Cooper where all moorings might be taken many nights, it could make it easier for those planning to pick their night at cooper and adjust the rest of their plans around it. No ball available Mon, you try Tue.. Wed..etc. There are plenty of other issues this could cause though so it would certainly need a fair amount of thought. But this also isn't some new idea. Dockwa is in use around us in New England and seems to work well allowing you to book well in advance. I think the major difference though is that with dockwa, the area you are mooring in owns the mooring balls vs the BVI where that isn't always the case.

Change is hard for most people though, but I think if given a chance, those that are against it might not find it so bad - aside from the 7am rush to reserve a mooring.

Matt
BVI Sponsors
Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #189424
04/01/2019 06:32 PM
04/01/2019 06:32 PM
Waco, Texas
A
Alec Atteberry Offline
Traveler
Alec Atteberry  Offline
Traveler
A
Waco, Texas
Originally Posted by Christo
Because in the world of 100% FCFS everyone has the ability to get to a mooring field in time to get a ball...its a choice and its a level playing field. Not just those with a good internet connection at 7am and fast fingers. Some people may like to still be asleep at that time, personally we are usually gone by then, so would have to find a signal whilst underway.

I'm not at all suprised about the 2k reservations and it doesn't prove the popularity of the idea at all...BB have taken FCFS balls away, so of course they're going to get used! There are more boats than balls...people won't just leave them vacant because they think BB is a s### idea! how many of the 2k reservations would have preferred or been just as happy with a FCFS? No way to know.

The more that are converted, the more people are forced to move over to BB, whether they want to or not. And the EARLIER everyone else has to get to the mooring field to pick up one of the remaining FCFS balls.

Its the very definition of a nil sum game. Some people win by having the best internet connection at 7am...the rest have to get to the mooring field even earlier than they otherwise would have...to get a FCFS ball.

None of it solves the problem...which is undersupply! If BB added some more balls then they would be helping the problem. As it is...the "two friends" who started it have just thrown a spanner in the works of a machine that was working just fine without their input.

It wasn't broken...it didn't need 'fixing'!

(and that's without listing all the other negatives of BB that have been mentioned on this forum...squatter issues/balls that damage cats/staying two nights etc etc etc)

Christo, with all due respect you don't exactly represent the average charterer in the BVI. The BVI is a great place for beginner sailors and credit card captains who get their feet wet once or twice a year. I'd bet a great deal of money that the overwhelming majority of charterers in the BVI don't have half the experience as yourself or many of the members of this forum. There's a reason the BVI government, locals, and resorts have invested in mooring balls and Mooring companies urge their boaters to tie up to them; its because the average boater down there just doesn't have the experience to safely and securely anchor every night. For you it may not seem like a big deal to use that pointy thing on the bow, but for the rest of us, showing up to a full mooring field and having to leave to find a new ball or keep someone on anchor duty all night isn't exactly relaxing or fun. Granted, the alternative option is to wake up at the crack of dawn and race to a mooring field, but then you've just lost valuable time that could be spent on the water or enjoying some other part of the BVI. BoatyBall was created to offer those who use (or need) mooring balls to spend more time on the water enjoying the BVI and less time worrying about where or how they are going to spend the night.

I understand that BoatyBall isn't a perfect system or solution and that many of you won't even use the service, because to be frank, most of you are incredibly experienced sailors. I, on the other hand am not. I'm a 19 year old college student, and while I'm perfectly capable sailing and tying up to moorings, I don't exactly enjoy anchoring or staying up all night hoping I won't have to shell out my college tuition if I end up drifting. I also hate having to come off the water at noon to find a ball when I could be diving or sailing around.

Again, I understand that BoatyBall just may not be your cup of tea. But I hope you can realize and respect that the guys at BoatyBall aren't some money hungry corporate goons that are trying to wreck the BV, because the reality is they're sailors just like all of us who enjoy the BVI and want to make it more enjoyable for all involved. I mean follow the money if you don't believe me; the guys at BoatyBall aren't exactly making a fortune from charging a processing fee for a reservation.

I get that the system isn't perfect and there has been and will continue to be growing pains, but overall feedback from boaters (even on this forum), locals, and business owners has largely been positive. I'm not trying to convince you to use BoatyBall, but I hope I've at least given you a little bit better perspective on why the system was created in the first place. And if not, its always nice to get some good practice in with the pointy thing at the front part of the boat. Cheers

Re: Boatyball [Re: maytrix] #189425
04/01/2019 06:38 PM
04/01/2019 06:38 PM
Waco, Texas
A
Alec Atteberry Offline
Traveler
Alec Atteberry  Offline
Traveler
A
Waco, Texas
Originally Posted by maytrix
Keep in mind, there's 32 pages of posts here and how many individual users? How many people charter in the BVI? TTOL is popular, but I wouldn't say it is representative of all those chartering in the BVI - might not even be representative of the majority.

Personally, I like the concept of BB, but I'm not sure I like the implementation. I don't want to be concerned with getting online right at 7am to reserve a ball. No more then I want to rush to get a ball at 2pm though. Although prior to Irma (since I haven't been back since) there were only a few spots where this was necessary. Cooper as one example. We've ended up arriving too late to get a ball before and just moved on.

Rather then reserving a ball for that night at 7am, I'd much rather see the ability to reserve a ball a week in advance. At a spot like Cooper where all moorings might be taken many nights, it could make it easier for those planning to pick their night at cooper and adjust the rest of their plans around it. No ball available Mon, you try Tue.. Wed..etc. There are plenty of other issues this could cause though so it would certainly need a fair amount of thought. But this also isn't some new idea. Dockwa is in use around us in New England and seems to work well allowing you to book well in advance. I think the major difference though is that with dockwa, the area you are mooring in owns the mooring balls vs the BVI where that isn't always the case.

Change is hard for most people though, but I think if given a chance, those that are against it might not find it so bad - aside from the 7am rush to reserve a mooring.

The guys at BoatyBall are currently developing the ability to make reservations further in advance. The system has really only been implemented for about three months now and I know there is still a lot of stuff that they've been working on in the app to make it more user friendly. The 7am reservation time was a compromise from the original 12am reservation time. Its not ideal, and they're working on a solution, but 7am is much more doable for most people instead of midnight.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189426
04/01/2019 06:42 PM
04/01/2019 06:42 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
I dont think you can make the connection because people use the service they necessarily like the service...I use Parkmobile and EZ Pass to navigate and park in DC and spend a lot of money per year. I dont necessarily "like" the service but it makes my life easier. Most importantly, the apps are easy to use. The BB app/experience isnt there (yet).

The real reason people are using BB is the lack of supply of anchorage/mooring space post Irma which requires people to use boatyball moorings.

I dont have an issue with the BB concept as I have mentioned. I just want the app to be easier to use and when I click on a nongrayed mooring that it is available or if someone else choses it then it is grayed out immediately. Too much of a coincidence to indicate "faster internet" at captains end. I bet issue at server or program at BB end. If this cant be done then offer any ball in the harbor as opposed to having to pick a specific mooring hoping someone else isnt using it.

Part of the problem is the somewhat disingenuous promotion/description of boatyball by the founders to be something it really isnt...its simply PayPal for moorings.

Re: Boatyball [Re: maytrix] #189429
04/01/2019 07:34 PM
04/01/2019 07:34 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
This is just like when the government is looking for revenue and they impose taxes on their citizens.
They feel they know how to fool the people and believe the people are ignorant enough to believe them.
Once BB get enough of the mooring balls they’ll have a captive audience and they’ll raise the rates because you can be sure the politicians will get their fingers in the cookie jar

Re: Boatyball [Re: sail445] #189430
04/01/2019 07:44 PM
04/01/2019 07:44 PM
Waco, Texas
A
Alec Atteberry Offline
Traveler
Alec Atteberry  Offline
Traveler
A
Waco, Texas
You seem to be forgetting the fact that BoatyBall doesn’t own the Moorings and at the end of the day they don’t really control the prices either. Sure they could raise the booking fee to an astronomical rate but if it negatively impacts the number of boaters that are able to stay in a bay and the amount of money they spend onshore, the mooring owners don’t have any incentive to keep the system. Sure BoatyBall is trying to make a profit; that’s how a business works. But at the end of the day they’re boaters too and they don’t want to see chartering in the BVI become prohibitively expensive either. If the added $10 is really too much to pay for the convenience of having a guaranteed mooring where you want it then anchoring works pretty well too.

Last edited by Alec Atteberry; 04/01/2019 07:46 PM. Reason: Info
Re: Boatyball [Re: Alec Atteberry] #189431
04/01/2019 08:04 PM
04/01/2019 08:04 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S

Everyone knows all businesses need to make a profit, and you know like most of the mooring ball owners know there is hardly anywhere to anchor because the mooring balls have taken all the shallow water spots.
This new venture is just another unnecessary restriction on the free spirit of the charterers

Re: Boatyball [Re: sail445] #189434
04/01/2019 08:20 PM
04/01/2019 08:20 PM
Waco, Texas
A
Alec Atteberry Offline
Traveler
Alec Atteberry  Offline
Traveler
A
Waco, Texas
I think we can both agree that BoatyBall being an “unnecessary restriction on the free spirit of the charterers” is a bit of an overstatement. It’s more like an optional service that people can use on their own volition if they see its benefit.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189435
04/01/2019 08:32 PM
04/01/2019 08:32 PM
Panama City Beach, Florida
xrayman67 Offline
Traveler
xrayman67  Offline
Traveler
When the FCFS are converted to FCFS Boatyball moorings, will paying through the app be optional and can we still pay cash?

Re: Boatyball [Re: Alec Atteberry] #189436
04/01/2019 08:41 PM
04/01/2019 08:41 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
I see that BB and mooring ball owners will be the only beneficiaries once you monopolize the majority of the balls and charterers are forced to go online to reserve a ball or ruin their vacation.
But anyway it is what it is and it won’t affect me.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189439
04/01/2019 08:57 PM
04/01/2019 08:57 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Anything that discourages anchoring is a positive for the health of the Coral.

Boatyball encourages anchoring.

What's wrong with the incentive?

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189440
04/01/2019 09:17 PM
04/01/2019 09:17 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
As far as I know boatyball has not installed a single mooring. How does that discourage anchoring?
G

Re: Boatyball [Re: GeorgeC1] #189441
04/01/2019 09:57 PM
04/01/2019 09:57 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Anyone who’s chartered in the BVI knows that anchoring is very limited due to the amount of moorings in the preferred anchorages.

Re: Boatyball [Re: warren460] #189443
04/01/2019 10:17 PM
04/01/2019 10:17 PM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
Originally Posted by warren460
Anything that discourages anchoring is a positive for the health of the Coral.

Boatyball encourages anchoring.

What's wrong with the incentive?

Couldn't it be looked at discouraging anchoring? If the majority of charters have no desire to anchor and will only moor and use BB to ensure they get a mooring, then they'll just pick another location for the night to avoid having to anchor. Without BB, they'd show up for FCFS and if there were no balls available, maybe they'd be forced to anchor?

As far as the issue with picking a ball and then finding its not available, maybe a ball needs to be held each time someone gets to the reservation screen. Then you are ensured a ball and then you can then choose which one you want. Still might not get the one you want, but at least you'd have a ball?

Matt
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189445
04/01/2019 10:25 PM
04/01/2019 10:25 PM
Nixa, Missouri
P
philthepilot Offline
Traveler
philthepilot  Offline
Traveler
P
Nixa, Missouri
When Boatyball was announced, I thought it might be a good idea. But when I heard about the squatters on balls that had been bought and payed for, I lost interest. Even if they have this problem fixed for the most part, I can assure you I'll have a squatter on my ball when I show up late afternoon/evening. Alex, you said yesterday, "If the added $10 is really too much to pay for the convenience of having a guaranteed mooring where you want it ". So, for me, it doesn't really sound like they can guarantee my ball will be sitting there waiting with no squatters on it. I'm down there for the fun and relaxation, not worrying about availability the parking spot I just rented for the night . Thanks

Phil
Nixa, Mo.
Re: Boatyball [Re: GeorgeC1] #189449
04/02/2019 02:52 AM
04/02/2019 02:52 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
BB may encourage anchoring amongst those that don't want to be forced into using it. The problem was not enough mooring balls. The solution was not a reservation system that merely introduced new problems without increasing the number of balls.

I expect most negative comments would not exist had new balls been introduced and no balls converted from tried and true fcfs.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

Re: Boatyball [Re: Alec Atteberry] #189453
04/02/2019 07:15 AM
04/02/2019 07:15 AM
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Originally Posted by Alec Atteberry

Christo, with all due respect you don't exactly represent the average charterer in the BVI. The BVI is a great place for beginner sailors and credit card captains who get their feet wet once or twice a year. I'd bet a great deal of money that the overwhelming majority of charterers in the BVI don't have half the experience as yourself or many of the members of this forum. There's a reason the BVI government, locals, and resorts have invested in mooring balls and Mooring companies urge their boaters to tie up to them; its because the average boater down there just doesn't have the experience to safely and securely anchor every night. For you it may not seem like a big deal to use that pointy thing on the bow, but for the rest of us, showing up to a full mooring field and having to leave to find a new ball or keep someone on anchor duty all night isn't exactly relaxing or fun. Granted, the alternative option is to wake up at the crack of dawn and race to a mooring field, but then you've just lost valuable time that could be spent on the water or enjoying some other part of the BVI. BoatyBall was created to offer those who use (or need) mooring balls to spend more time on the water enjoying the BVI and less time worrying about where or how they are going to spend the night.

Sorry but your response doesn't make any sense! Until you add some balls...you have not made any difference to the amount of people who need to anchor. You've just stirred things up so different people get to use the ones available.

As for people being legally in charge of a vessel and crew and not knowing how to anchor...well that is a very different issue, for another day.

Last edited by Christo; 04/02/2019 07:18 AM.
Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #189454
04/02/2019 07:16 AM
04/02/2019 07:16 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
The voice of reason.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189490
04/02/2019 09:50 AM
04/02/2019 09:50 AM
Tampa, FL
denverd0n Offline
Traveler
denverd0n  Offline
Traveler
Tampa, FL
Haven't been down to use Boatyball yet, but are squatters really a problem? Do they have a procedure for dealing with it?

If not, then I see that as a HUGE problem! I am going to be pretty darned annoyed if I pay extra to reserve a ball, and then when I get there I am forced to deal with a squatter on my own. For the money I paid, Boatyball should be the ones who deal with squatters. I'm paying them so that I don't have to deal with that sort of aggravation.

Re: Boatyball [Re: denverd0n] #189491
04/02/2019 09:57 AM
04/02/2019 09:57 AM
Louisiana
C
cajunscuba Offline
Traveler
cajunscuba  Offline
Traveler
C
Louisiana
Originally Posted by denverd0n
Haven't been down to use Boatyball yet, but are squatters really a problem? Do they have a procedure for dealing with it?

If not, then I see that as a HUGE problem! I am going to be pretty darned annoyed if I pay extra to reserve a ball, and then when I get there I am forced to deal with a squatter on my own. For the money I paid, Boatyball should be the ones who deal with squatters. I'm paying them so that I don't have to deal with that sort of aggravation.

I haven't been yet either. My understanding is that boatyball now has people who better enforce the reservations and tell the "squatters" the mooring is reserved. Also, I think it is becoming less of a problem now that more people are becoming more aware of BB.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189503
04/02/2019 10:40 AM
04/02/2019 10:40 AM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Y
Yoff Offline
Traveler
Yoff  Offline
Traveler
Y
El Dorado Hills, CA
Having just returned from the islands, my experience is that not only will I never again attempt to use BoatyBall, I also have scratched Cooper from my itineraries (and I love a good rum bar!). Who wants to show up at 4:00 in a harbor and not have a place to spend the night? Unless you are one of the lucky dozen who wins the BoatyBall lottery at 7:00:01, is the alternative showing up at 11:00, or even 2:00? When do we get to sail/dive/snorkel, whatever? Honestly, on my recent visit, it felt like boats were almost racing from harbor to harbor in order to get on a mooring. Different strokes for different folks, but that's exactly what I'm trying to get away from when I'm down there. And as to anyone who does not now how to or is not comfortable setting an anchor for the night, I understand the BVI is an entry-level cruising ground but that doesn't excuse the person responsible for the safety of a boat and crew from knowing basic seamanship.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Yoff] #189516
04/02/2019 12:35 PM
04/02/2019 12:35 PM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Yoff
Having just returned from the islands, my experience is that not only will I never again attempt to use BoatyBall, I also have scratched Cooper from my itineraries (and I love a good rum bar!). Who wants to show up at 4:00 in a harbor and not have a place to spend the night? .

For Cooper, this really isn't anything new. You typically had to get there early or get lucky. On a few occasions in the past, we've been there between 3 and 4 and no balls were free so we moved on. At least with Cooper though it is a fine spot to get to early. Plenty to do there with snorkeling and diving available close enough to just dinghy to it.

Matt
Re: Boatyball [Re: cajunscuba] #189594
04/03/2019 09:18 AM
04/03/2019 09:18 AM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Originally Posted by cajunscuba

I haven't been yet either. My understanding is that boatyball now has people who better enforce the reservations and tell the "squatters" the mooring is reserved. Also, I think it is becoming less of a problem now that more people are becoming more aware of BB.

I have used BB several times, in February, when fairly new. I do think squatters are less of issue.

Resolved easily on 2 occasions by politely asking "Do you have a reservation for that ball?" (Knowing that they do not, because I did). They promptly moved. Biggest potential issue is if the captain is off boat.

I like to be on water, not hurrying to next ball.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Boatyball [Re: Deepcut] #189767
04/04/2019 12:12 PM
04/04/2019 12:12 PM
Hillsborough, NC
OceanSong Offline
Traveler
OceanSong  Offline
Traveler
Hillsborough, NC
During our last trip in late February we visited Leverick and saw no issues arise with BB. We anchored at the far end of the mooring field opposite the fuel dock so probably wouldn't have noticed in any event.

We went to Anegada the next day and spent two nights. We had the closest FCFS ball near Anegada Reef and Potters, so we had the BB's all around us. There were squatters each day. On the first day the crews were off the two squatting boats (traveling together) and it took a couple of hours to get sorted, but I don't think there were any harsh words - just frustration.

On the second day there were two squatters again (different boats than on the first day). One boat moved immediately after being told they were on a reserved BB, no drama. The second boat initially refused to move as the folks with the reservation circled through the mooring field 6+ times. There were many harsh words going both ways before long. Eventually a young lady came out on a dinghy, spent several minutes talking to the crew of the squatting boat, and finally the boat moved to allow the reserved boat to take the ball. The bigger problem was the squatting boat moved to our port side and anchored (after numerous failed attempts) in an untenable position. A couple of Sunsail captains that were leading a flotilla finally convinced the skipper to move, again after lots of back and forth. It became quite a spectacle, with folks riding by and hovering around in their dinghies to watch.

The incident on the second day kept us on our boat a couple of extra hours that we would have normally spent ashore. However, the entire situation left us feeling very uncomfortable about leaving our boat. Once again, everything was eventually sorted out. The second incident was all the talk at the bars that evening and caused quite a few folks to voice their frustrations. I don't think BB is to blame, it was the antics of the skipper and crew of the squatting boat. In February, at least, it didn't seem many people understood the rules.

I haven't used BB yet, but I still might consider it. However, if I have a choice I will try to avoid taking a FCFS mooring or anchoring near the BB's.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189799
04/04/2019 06:07 PM
04/04/2019 06:07 PM
A
Akflyer Offline
Traveler
Akflyer  Offline
Traveler
A
We are going to be chartering this May on our first visit since 2015. I have been following this thread to try to understand the Boatyball option and I have a question about reserving for multiple nights. If you know that you want to spend multiple consecutive days at a location does Boatyball allow you to reserve more than one night on the same ball, or do you need to try and re-reserve every day? I have not been able to find an answer to this on their website and I'm hoping someone on this forum may know. Thanks.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189801
04/04/2019 06:39 PM
04/04/2019 06:39 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
No...each day you need to reserve that day starting at 700 am trying to get reservations. My advice is to avoid BB wherever you can for reasons stated over the last 9 pages. It was a complete pain in February screwing around with their primitive website at 700 3 different days and fortunately we didn't need it. We will be down in May as well and it isn't as crowded so that should help. The only real place it comes into play is Cooper.

Leverick has plenty of other options and Anegada does as well to include anchoring.

Re: Boatyball [Re: bailau] #189803
04/04/2019 06:46 PM
04/04/2019 06:46 PM
xrayman67 Offline
Traveler
xrayman67  Offline
Traveler
Originally Posted by Akflyer
We are going to be chartering this May on our first visit since 2015. I have been following this thread to try to understand the Boatyball option and I have a question about reserving for multiple nights. If you know that you want to spend multiple consecutive days at a location does Boatyball allow you to reserve more than one night on the same ball, or do you need to try and re-reserve every day? I have not been able to find an answer to this on their website and I'm hoping someone on this forum may know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bailau
No...each day you need to reserve that day starting at 700 am trying to get reservations. My advice is to avoid BB wherever you can for reasons stated over the last 9 pages. It was a complete pain in February screwing around with their primitive website at 700 3 different days and fortunately we didn't need it. We will be down in May as well and it isn't as crowded so that should help. The only real place it comes into play is Cooper.

Leverick has plenty of other options and Anegada does as well to include anchoring.

Akflyer and bailau, We'll be down first 10 days of May. When is your trip? We're on a Sunsail 38 mono flying a red Jolly Roger! Stop and say hello if you see us!!!

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189805
04/04/2019 06:50 PM
04/04/2019 06:50 PM
A
Akflyer Offline
Traveler
Akflyer  Offline
Traveler
A
We will be there from the 10th to the 24th. Chartering with Moorings on a 382.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189808
04/04/2019 07:20 PM
04/04/2019 07:20 PM
ski2play Offline
Traveler
ski2play  Offline
Traveler
Land Based on the East End of Jost May 4-12. Look for us at one of our neighborhood bars. toast

Re: Boatyball [Re: xrayman67] #189811
04/04/2019 07:44 PM
04/04/2019 07:44 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Originally Posted by xrayman67

Akflyer and bailau, We'll be down first 10 days of May. When is your trip? We're on a Sunsail 38 mono flying a red Jolly Roger! Stop and say hello if you see us!!!

We are May 12th - May 20th on a moorings Powercat 514PC. We will be flying Kenny Chesney's Love for Love City Flag and Operation Sail it Forward flag. 3 adults and 6 college kids...

It would be great to catch up with any TTOLer...

Ski2Play-I look forward doing that one day. Being responsible for a boat and crew isnt always as fun as sitting still. My buddy owns the Pink House on Jost and have thought of staying there or Anegada for 1 week. I would actually look forward to your trip report...

Akflyer-You have a powercat. Get to Cooper by 930, Leverick by 1030 and Anegada by 1030 and you will be fine. If you choose a weekend any of those 3 should be pretty clear in May, especially Anegada

Re: Boatyball [Re: bailau] #189819
04/05/2019 12:13 AM
04/05/2019 12:13 AM
A
Akflyer Offline
Traveler
Akflyer  Offline
Traveler
A

That pretty much kills the Boatyball idea for us. We have been down enough that we prefer to spend at least two nights and relax at our favorite spots. Not knowing if we can stay more than one night without playing "Boatyball roulette" seems like the anithesis of relaxing.

Re: Boatyball [Re: bailau] #189820
04/05/2019 12:17 AM
04/05/2019 12:17 AM
A
Akflyer Offline
Traveler
Akflyer  Offline
Traveler
A
Originally Posted by xrayman67

We are May 12th - May 20th on a moorings Powercat 514PC. We will be flying Kenny Chesney's Love for Love City Flag and Operation Sail it Forward flag. 3 adults and 6 college kids...

It would be great to catch up with any TTOLer...

Ski2Play-I look forward doing that one day. Being responsible for a boat and crew isnt always as fun as sitting still. My buddy owns the Pink House on Jost and have thought of staying there or Anegada for 1 week. I would actually look forward to your trip report...

Akflyer-You have a powercat. Get to Cooper by 930, Leverick by 1030 and Anegada by 1030 and you will be fine. If you choose a weekend any of those 3 should be pretty clear in May, especially Anegada

The Moorings 38.2 (382 was a typo on my part) that we have is actually a monohull sailboat, so we will be traveling a bit slower than a powercat.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189822
04/05/2019 05:36 AM
04/05/2019 05:36 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Akflyer-

My mistake...I would just plan your trip to Cooper early and then plan to be in Anegada over the weekend when it is less crowded. Maybe plan to go up there on a Friday for the weekend. At Leverick/North Sound there are plenty of other options to moor or anchor or even dock at Leverick Bay which we did last trip.

I have been down the last 2 Mays and it isnt nearly as bad as Feb was in terms of boats. And by May 2019 we will have more mooring/docking choices to include Oil Nut Bay.

I dont know if Moorings can upgrade monohulls (I do cats and powercats through Moorings) but I usually check within 2 weeks of departure and have been successful in getting boat upgrades in terms of a newer vintage boat.

Agree as to ignoring boaty ball roulette...

Re: Boatyball [Re: Akflyer] #189827
04/05/2019 08:01 AM
04/05/2019 08:01 AM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
That pretty much kills the Boatyball idea for us. We have been down enough that we prefer to spend at least two nights and relax at our favorite spots. Not knowing if we can stay more than one night without playing "Boatyball roulette" seems like the anithesis of relaxing.

You could always book boatyball for the first night and then grab a regular mooring when available the next day. I do think they need to make a lot more changes to the way it works, such as being able to book further in advance and multiple nights.

Matt
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189830
04/05/2019 08:31 AM
04/05/2019 08:31 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Akflyer & bailau, My wife and I will be on Anegada May 11-18. We spend most of our time at Cow Wreck. Look for the old guy wearing a Notre Dame bucket hat. I will gladly buy drinks!

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Boatyball [Re: ndfaninnc] #189832
04/05/2019 08:53 AM
04/05/2019 08:53 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
Akflyer & bailau, My wife and I will be on Anegada May 11-18. We spend most of our time at Cow Wreck. Look for the old guy wearing a Notre Dame bucket hat. I will gladly buy drinks!

You are my hero...where are you staying? Sitting still on that island for a week is on my bucket list...

Current flight plan is to be at Anegada May 15 & 16 and will look for you on the 16th and it would be an honor to buy you a drink. I have a group of college kids bringing their college pennants up to hang at CW but no Irishmen...

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189835
04/05/2019 08:56 AM
04/05/2019 08:56 AM
Tampa, FL
denverd0n Offline
Traveler
denverd0n  Offline
Traveler
Tampa, FL
You know, just the fact that the term "Boatyball roulette" has become a commonly-understood thing, should be a clear indication to them that they have issues with their system.

Re: Boatyball [Re: bailau] #189836
04/05/2019 08:58 AM
04/05/2019 08:58 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Originally Posted by ndfaninnc

You are my hero...where are you staying? Sitting still on that island for a week is on my bucket list...

Current flight plan is to be at Anegada May 15 & 16 and will look for you on the 16th and it would be an honor to buy you a drink. I have a group of college kids bringing their college pennants up to hang at CW but no Irishmen...

We are staying at D&H Sunshine villas. The last houses before you take the hard right going towards Cow Wreck. We will look for you on the 16th. No worries. I am very used to being the only Irish fan.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Boatyball [Re: denverd0n] #189926
04/06/2019 07:53 AM
04/06/2019 07:53 AM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
You know, just the fact that the term "Boatyball roulette" has become a commonly-understood thing, should be a clear indication to them that they have issues with their system.

So is this a condemnation of BB or encouragement of BB to expand?

In regards to spending a second night in an anchorage, the easy solution is to move next morning. I have never been in a BVI mooring anchorage where there were not at least 1 boat leaving by the time I finish my first cup of coffee.

BB draw to me is to allow me to spend more time on water and get to anchorage knowing that I have a reserved BB(perhaps with a squatter). BB has no advantage to those arriving early in day as moorings are plentiful. The "first" to arrive in anchorage is one who slept there the night before. It really is not much of a chore to change balls if you are spending multiple nights.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #189931
04/06/2019 09:05 AM
04/06/2019 09:05 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
Moving balls in the morning is easy unless they are all on a reservation system.
G

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13