Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
40 registered members (Halcyon, steve74, SXMScubaman, TRIM, eightzerobits, CaribbeanCanadians, Tonythepilot, tradewinds, sugarae, eilandmens, Kiles41, Travel Talker, Cap’n Rog, sxm2001, JandIrene, ChiTownHarry, jrw, RickinAtlanta, SXMbeacher, mark37, charlie, SXMBND, GeorgeC1, pl3, SeaLady29, Kennys, Kevin_B, 13 invisible), 1,014 guests, and 58 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Learning Catamaran Sailing #189397
04/01/2019 04:01 PM
04/01/2019 04:01 PM
Virginia, USA
Pearson Offline OP
Traveler
Pearson  Offline OP
Traveler
Virginia, USA
I want to beef up my resume and gain experience to Captain a 40-45ft. Catamaran in the summer of 2020. I'm not real keen on ASA classes, I'm just not particularly interested in getting certified. I'd like to sail for 2-3 days, gain practical experience in the differences between mono's, cats, and managing two engines, and boost my confidence with these boats.

I've sailed considerably as a younger man (10+ yrs as owner) and by this time next year, will have Captained 2 BVI charters on mid-size boats.

Anyone have any suggestions on who to contact or how best to gain that experience?

Thanks in advance.

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #189816
04/04/2019 09:25 PM
04/04/2019 09:25 PM
Eastern PA
BVIBum Offline
Traveler
BVIBum  Offline
Traveler
Eastern PA
If you have captained two mono's in the BVI's transitioning to a cat is not a big deal. To get acquainted with the cat in 2020 you could hire a day captain for the first day or two if needed to show you the ropes.

Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #189818
04/05/2019 12:01 AM
04/05/2019 12:01 AM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline
Traveler
Somewhere out there
Once upon a time I used to teach the ASA Cat course. There are some differences, all can be sorted in a day, if I was in the islands I would show you the ropes. Like monohulls there are good cats and bad ones, but unlike 30 years ago, most are good cats. Avoid the cats with far aft steering as you will have no bow visibility.

Items to address:
The main is a lot harder to raise as it is a double purchase
Anchoring as the the boat will swing differently, setting a bridal is very important
Tacking is a bit different, not always needed, but sometimes it helps to back wind the jib for a second.
When tacking you need to pay attention to your jib sheets they can can caught on the mast
Motoring on 2 engines is a piece of cake. We used to practice at Leverick Bay or Sydneys at JVD. Grabbing a mooring is so much easier, you just need to play with your engines a bit to know how the boat reacts. A cat will quickly stop dead in the water a monohull will glide for a while.

Mike
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #190053
04/07/2019 09:14 PM
04/07/2019 09:14 PM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
Mike’s got it.
Boat check out will be most important as systems are different. But as you know how to sail, dont stress.

Twins 20 feet apart is a dream! Lock the wheel when going astern, use the throttles. Practice helps. I remember my first time backing into a slip at Leverick. I was a wreck (mentally). Tito and his guys were such a big help! wave

Good you tube stuff out there too about docking, anchoring, balls and bridles.

Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #190128
04/08/2019 06:22 PM
04/08/2019 06:22 PM
MD, USA
polaris Offline
Traveler
polaris  Offline
Traveler
MD, USA
As Mike said, at low speed (forward or back) use engine throttles, not wheel, to drive boat. An exercise I always did with willing crew was - in a mooring field I would instruct them to (using only throttles) back the boat away from mooring, turn right angle and go to downwind of another mooring, another right angle turn to face next mooring, go straight to that mooring. Typical reaction first time was to spin in circle, turn much to far, not understand what downwind means, etc. However, one 20-something took the helm the first time and executed everything perfectly. When I congratulated him and asked him how he did it he said, "simple, it is just like a video game!"

Polaris
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #192475
04/16/2019 09:27 PM
04/16/2019 09:27 PM
MARYLAND
Crown31 Offline
Traveler
Crown31  Offline
Traveler
MARYLAND
Hey Pearson,
Not sure where you're at in VA but you may want to check out Annapolis. I did a 2 day Cat/Bare Boat combo course a few years ago for the same purpose, prior to my first sailing trip. I did it with Sail Time since they had a small Bay Cat to take out. Good peace of mind for me before heading to BVI (but prob not necessary with your experience).

Brian
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: BVIBum] #195463
05/21/2019 07:14 AM
05/21/2019 07:14 AM
Virginia, USA
Pearson Offline OP
Traveler
Pearson  Offline OP
Traveler
Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by BVIBum
If you have captained two mono's in the BVI's transitioning to a cat is not a big deal. To get acquainted with the cat in 2020 you could hire a day captain for the first day or two if needed to show you the ropes.

Sorry, forgot about this post while I was away researching ways to get that experience. I collected a few quotes and ultimately decided to do as you suggest; tack on a few days at the beginning of the charter, get a captain, and learn the differences.

[Linked Image]
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: kneafseym] #195465
05/21/2019 07:20 AM
05/21/2019 07:20 AM
Virginia, USA
Pearson Offline OP
Traveler
Pearson  Offline OP
Traveler
Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by kneafseym
Once upon a time I used to teach the ASA Cat course. There are some differences, all can be sorted in a day, if I was in the islands I would show you the ropes. Like monohulls there are good cats and bad ones, but unlike 30 years ago, most are good cats. Avoid the cats with far aft steering as you will have no bow visibility.

Items to address:
Anchoring as the the boat will swing differently, setting a bridal is very important
Tacking is a bit different, not always needed, but sometimes it helps to back wind the jib for a second.
When tacking you need to pay attention to your jib sheets they can can caught on the mast
Motoring on 2 engines is a piece of cake. We used to practice at Leverick Bay or Sydneys at JVD. Grabbing a mooring is so much easier, you just need to play with your engines a bit to know how the boat reacts. A cat will quickly stop dead in the water a monohull will glide for a while.

Ha..thanks for the offer! I will charter from a modern charter agency, so expect FP, Lagoon or other recent cats, most if not all of which have the raised helm. I appreciate the tips on the main, anchoring and tacking, which surprises me about backwinding the jib. Perhaps, I could see backwinding in lighter air, but in winds like in the BVI's? But like you suggest, one of the hot topics is managing dual engines. I understand the virtues, just no practical experience. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

[Linked Image]
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: jphart] #195466
05/21/2019 07:28 AM
05/21/2019 07:28 AM
Virginia, USA
Pearson Offline OP
Traveler
Pearson  Offline OP
Traveler
Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by jphart
Mike’s got it.
Boat check out will be most important as systems are different. But as you know how to sail, dont stress.

Twins 20 feet apart is a dream! Lock the wheel when going astern, use the throttles. Practice helps. I remember my first time backing into a slip at Leverick. I was a wreck (mentally). Tito and his guys were such a big help! wave

Good you tube stuff out there too about docking, anchoring, balls and bridles.

Exactly JPhart, that's one of the reasons I want to get that practical experience is to take the time to learn the different systems on a Cat.

Funny, but I too stressed when backing into a slip in Leverick. The owner of a sailing school was in the adjacent slip, and graciously offered to help out, along withTito's team. Made it super easy as I was a bit rusty. Thanks for the YouTube suggestion. I've seen a few on managing docking maneuvers and will continue to beef up those skills.

[Linked Image]
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Crown31] #195468
05/21/2019 07:37 AM
05/21/2019 07:37 AM
Virginia, USA
Pearson Offline OP
Traveler
Pearson  Offline OP
Traveler
Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Crown31
Hey Pearson,
Not sure where you're at in VA but you may want to check out Annapolis. I did a 2 day Cat/Bare Boat combo course a few years ago for the same purpose, prior to my first sailing trip. I did it with Sail Time since they had a small Bay Cat to take out. Good peace of mind for me before heading to BVI (but prob not necessary with your experience).

Thanks Brian. Annapolis is easily within reach but I haven't considered Sail Time. I'll look them up. I did contact a charter agency out of Annapolis but a 3 day charter was way too expensive. My experience is dated, an older boat, few of today's modern systems like this new fangled self-tailing winch fad, so getting hands on, I believe, will greatly improve everyone's trip.

[Linked Image]
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #195472
05/21/2019 07:57 AM
05/21/2019 07:57 AM
Virginia, USA
Pearson Offline OP
Traveler
Pearson  Offline OP
Traveler
Virginia, USA
As it stands now, and based on discussions with the charter agency, I'll add 3 days on to the charter. It's still expensive, but I think it's going to get me to where I want to be, experience-wise. I'll spend 2 1/2 days picking the brain of an experienced Cat captain, and learn a bit about all you guys have mentioned like maneuvering on dual engines, tacking and setting a bridle. Once the remaining guests arrive, I'll be confident I can handle the boat on my own. Thanks for the replies.

[Linked Image]
Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #197127
06/08/2019 03:24 PM
06/08/2019 03:24 PM
Ohio, USA
I
IFlyVFR Offline
Traveler
IFlyVFR  Offline
Traveler
I
Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Pearson
As it stands now, and based on discussions with the charter agency, I'll add 3 days on to the charter. It's still expensive, but I think it's going to get me to where I want to be, experience-wise. I'll spend 2 1/2 days picking the brain of an experienced Cat captain, and learn a bit about all you guys have mentioned like maneuvering on dual engines, tacking and setting a bridle. Once the remaining guests arrive, I'll be confident I can handle the boat on my own. Thanks for the replies.

As one of those potential guests, get all the experience you need. We'll see how well we do in a couple of weeks! ;-)

Re: Learning Catamaran Sailing [Re: Pearson] #197636
06/14/2019 04:57 PM
06/14/2019 04:57 PM
Charleston, SC
C
CHS_JDE Offline
Traveler
CHS_JDE  Offline
Traveler
C
Charleston, SC
Originally Posted by Pearson
Originally Posted by kneafseym

Items to address:

Ha..thanks for the offer! I will charter from a modern charter agency, so expect FP, Lagoon or other recent cats, most if not all of which have the raised helm. I appreciate the tips on the main, anchoring and tacking, which surprises me about backwinding the jib. Perhaps, I could see backwinding in lighter air, but in winds like in the BVI's? But like you suggest, one of the hot topics is managing dual engines. I understand the virtues, just no practical experience. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I think that backing the jib is a good idea most of the time. The tacks are so slow otherwise that if you don't properly instruct your crew on how to back it, you'll stall and it's a pain. One of the things that made me most nervous about monohulls was docking and maneuvering in a crowded anchorage/marina. Cats make it a breeze. You almost can't go wrong if you're not afraid to give it some throttle and make it turn. Don't touch the wheel while at slow speeds. It'll just confuse things, especially when going astern.

Moderated by  Administrator, Eva, GlennA