I purchased a cabin aboard a Festiva boat as a result of receiving an email special, and boarded the 44 ft. Lagoon catamaran at their Hodges Creek base on Saturday, Feb. 2nd. I have normally in the past only chartered bareboats, but was tired of the weather in Kentucky, and did not have a crew in order to put together our own boat. I must admit they do a pretty good job, although their business plan is not exactly my "cup of tea", but they do have a market segment they are apparently successfully serving. (1) It is rather pricey, with a retail price of over $5,000 per cabin, plus $600 - $800 in recommended tips; (2) The boats are in good shape, and currently the Lagoon 44's are being replaced with new Lagoon 45's; (3) You will be "waited on", with three full meals per day, plus appetizers & cocktails (two evening meals are on shore at your own expense); (4) You will NOT be allowed to participate as a crew member in any capacity, although they are happy to share their knowledge; (5) No scuba diving is allowed from the boat, although they will attempt to set-up a dive opportunity with one of the local dive shops; (6) You will be told the itinerary is flexible, with the guest's recommendations in mind. In practice, I think the variations are limited to an itinerary that is pretty much "canned" for each cruise week; (7) You board the boat Saturday at 5:00 pm, with a promise they will leave the marina if everyone is on board. It is unlikely the boat will leave the marina Saturday night, and will leave the next morning; (8) I found the captain and 1st mate to be very friendly, competent, professional and knowledgable, as well as entertaining; (9) It is no longer a "time share" type program, and the boats are company owned and maintained. In summary, they seem to have a business model that will work for an individual looking for a fully catered sailing vacation on a small boat, or individuals on a first trip to BVI. It might also meet the needs of anyone lacking the skill to charter their own boat, or do not have friends looking for the same type of adventure. Sure, it is a bit pricey, but they seem to deliver what is promised, and I didn't experience any gimmicks or "got-cha" moments.

Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com