RonDon 90
fabila 48
Zanshin 39
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Mikel, jazzgal, SANFILIP, MrEZgoin, 2 invisible), 660 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Culebrita-like experience around St.Thomas? #201358
07/29/2019 10:46 AM
07/29/2019 10:46 AM
Rhode Island
S
Sergei Offline OP
Sergei  Offline OP
S
Rhode Island
Hello everyone,

I am new here. I chartered with our friends two years ago from Fajardo. We went to Culebrita (among other places) and it was magical! This time I am planning a charter from St.Thomas this upcoming February. Are there places around St.Thomas that can deliver similar experience without having to go to SVI? I am into freediving and spearfishing while my wife and kids are more into secluded sandy beaches. Culebrita was great for both! Any info and advise are much appreciated...

BVI Sponsors
Re: Culebrita-like experience around St.Thomas? [Re: Sergei] #201420
07/30/2019 08:59 AM
07/30/2019 08:59 AM
F
FLJim Offline
Traveler
FLJim  Offline
Traveler
F
Plenty of secluded sandy beaches in the National Park on St John, but no spearfishing. For more seclusion, go to the south side (Lameshur, Salt Pond).

Re: Culebrita-like experience around St.Thomas? [Re: Sergei] #201506
07/31/2019 03:24 PM
07/31/2019 03:24 PM
St. John, USVI
RickG Offline
Traveler
RickG  Offline
Traveler
St. John, USVI
We visited Culebrita in June and I understand the attraction. There are a lot of great options near St. Thomas. The cays between St. Thomas and St. John are great, but not a lot of white sand beaches. There are dive balls you can hit for free diving. Honeymoon Bay on St. John gives you some of the beach vibe; most of the North shore of St. John is National Park. Christmas Cove at Great St. James Island has is a preserve and has the Pizza Pi pizza boat.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada
Re: Culebrita-like experience around St.Thomas? [Re: RickG] #201709
08/04/2019 12:44 PM
08/04/2019 12:44 PM
BaardJ Offline
Traveler
BaardJ  Offline
Traveler
Culebrita, especially Bahia de Tortugas, is indeed magical and my favorite bay in the SVI/USVI/BVI. For an equally remote feel, I head to the south shore of Vieques.

I think the next best option is the south shore of St John - both Salt Pond Bay and Little Lameshur Bay have nice sand beaches with excellent snorkeling and are relatively uncrowded. Also they will be unaffected by the north swell common in February.

On the north shore of St John, Leinster Bay is well protected (especially if you can get one of the inner moorings) with a remote feel and a decent beach, nearby snorkeling at Waterlemon Cay, and short hike to Annaberg Plantation ruins. Nearby Maho Bay and Francis Bay are also well protected in almost all conditions and have great beaches, lots of sea turtles, and plenty of mooring balls.

Around St Thomas, you have a nice anchorage at Buck Island just south of Charlotte Amalie that is usually deserted after 3 pm. No sandy beach but good snorkeling and great sundown views. Christmas Cove at Little St James Island is similar. Brewers Bay near the airport is extremely well protected with nice beach and snorkeling.

Re: Culebrita-like experience around St.Thomas? [Re: BaardJ] #202358
08/13/2019 01:50 PM
08/13/2019 01:50 PM
Rockford, Michigan
aarpskier Offline
Traveler
aarpskier  Offline
Traveler
Rockford, Michigan
Originally Posted by BaardJ
... Christmas Cove at Little St James Island is similar....

Christmas Cove is actually on the west side of Great St James Island. Both Little and Great SJI's are owned by the estate of the late Jeffrey Epstein, who on August 10, 2019 died in his cell in federal prison in Manhattan. News stories to the effect that Epstein "closed" Christmas Cove when he bought Great SJI in 2018 are incorrect. Pizza PI was doing an active business through July 28, 2019, when it shut down for the rest of the hurricane season. According to its FB page, it will be back up and running in November.

Re: Culebrita-like experience around St.Thomas? [Re: BaardJ] #202369
08/13/2019 04:09 PM
08/13/2019 04:09 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Originally Posted by BaardJ
Culebrita, especially Bahia de Tortugas, is indeed magical and my favorite bay in the SVI/USVI/BVI. For an equally remote feel, I head to the south shore of Vieques.

I think the next best option is the south shore of St John - both Salt Pond Bay and Little Lameshur Bay have nice sand beaches with excellent snorkeling and are relatively uncrowded. Also they will be unaffected by the north swell common in February.

On the north shore of St John, Leinster Bay is well protected (especially if you can get one of the inner moorings) with a remote feel and a decent beach, nearby snorkeling at Waterlemon Cay, and short hike to Annaberg Plantation ruins. Nearby Maho Bay and Francis Bay are also well protected in almost all conditions and have great beaches, lots of sea turtles, and plenty of mooring balls.

Around St Thomas, you have a nice anchorage at Buck Island just south of Charlotte Amalie that is usually deserted after 3 pm. No sandy beach but good snorkeling and great sundown views. Christmas Cove at Little St James Island is similar. Brewers Bay near the airport is extremely well protected with nice beach and snorkeling.

Maho, Francis and Cinnamon Bay get large swells when the winds are out of the North or West