pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (o2bnsxm, lcote, WLE, charlie, OllieEh, Whale Tail, Time Will Tell, ChiTownHarry, eightzerobits, StMartinFan, cbf, Uksimonusa, ericlut, Rbailey, cbinparadise, ColoBoater, pburke40, polaris, sunmantwo, Kevin_B, Jaybird, lponcin, GeorgeC1, MrEZgoin, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, cabokid, Sea_Skyman, Billtjw, RickG, WWII, KirkB, 11 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 52 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BVI short report #209562
11/21/2019 11:00 AM
11/21/2019 11:00 AM
Miami, FL
Michel_Benarrosh Offline OP
Traveler
Michel_Benarrosh  Offline OP
Traveler
Miami, FL
Hi all.

Cruising the BVIs, here are 2 things that struck me.

A) At Jost/Great Harbor, I hope for you that you like pot smell. I was on a mooring ball 200 yards from shore and STILL smelling pot well inside the boat cabins... I have no idea where this was coming from. It did not stop for 2 days that I was there. And no, it was not coming from other boats. I have nothing against pot (actually I HAVE, but that is another story) but I should not be forced to smell it no mater what.

B) NPS morning balls.
I went to the Baths. Along with another boat, I waited for 1 HOUR in hope a mooring ball would free up. NOPE. . I saw people on their boat having lunch, or sun tanning on the foredeck, etc. You get the idea.... I got close to the boat where people where having lunch and asked them if they knew they should let other boats access to the ball. The guy gave me the finger, if you can believe that.
So I finally left...I was FUMING...
I think it is a mere SCANDAL that some boats settle on those balls for hours when everyone knows that this is a visiting site.
I know it is not easy, but something should be done, at least educating charterers on that issue. Something... whatever it is.

Safe and courteous sail, everyone...

BVI Sponsors
Re: BVI short report [Re: Michel_Benarrosh] #209566
11/21/2019 11:40 AM
11/21/2019 11:40 AM
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
An island state of mind
Somebody posted a trip report a few days ago that they got to the Baths at 8:30 and also had lunch at the Top of the Baths, so I would imagine they were there longer than 90 minutes.

Re: BVI short report [Re: Michel_Benarrosh] #209579
11/21/2019 03:27 PM
11/21/2019 03:27 PM
Maryland
Kirk Offline
Traveler
Kirk  Offline
Traveler
Maryland
Originally Posted by Michel_Benarrosh
Hi all.

A) At Jost/Great Harbor, I hope for you that you like pot smell. I was on a mooring ball 200 yards from shore and STILL smelling pot well inside the boat cabins... I have no idea where this was coming from. It did not stop for 2 days that I was there. And no, it was not coming from other boats. I have nothing against pot (actually I HAVE, but that is another story) but I should not be forced to smell it no mater what.

B) NPS morning balls.
I went to the Baths. Along with another boat, I waited for 1 HOUR in hope a mooring ball would free up. NOPE. . I saw people on their boat having lunch, or sun tanning on the foredeck, etc. You get the idea.... I got close to the boat where people where having lunch and asked them if they knew they should let other boats access to the ball. The guy gave me the finger, if you can believe that.
I think it is a mere SCANDAL that some boats settle on those balls for hours when everyone knows that this is a visiting site.
I know it is not easy, but something should be done, at least educating charterers on that issue. Something... whatever it is.

On my first charter to the BVI's, as we were tying our own line to a ball at the baths, we noticed a boat start drifting away from their mooring ball. We could see somebody sitting near the mast, but apparently asleep. There was nobody in the cockpit. We yelled and yelled and the person finally woke up and realized they were adrift-so he went back and started the engine. Then he basically just cruised the mooring field until his crew came back from the Baths in their dink. Some boats, myself included leave somebody on board when they go off to the Baths or snorkeling etc...

Kirk in Maryland
Re: BVI short report [Re: Michel_Benarrosh] #209580
11/21/2019 03:47 PM
11/21/2019 03:47 PM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
This is one reason we stopped visiting the baths by boat and visted from Leverick by rental car. You can spend as much time as you want and there's no issue finding a spot to park.

Matt
Re: BVI short report [Re: maytrix] #209581
11/21/2019 04:25 PM
11/21/2019 04:25 PM
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
An island state of mind
Us, too. And we can stop at Hog Heaven on the way back.

Re: BVI short report [Re: Michel_Benarrosh] #209595
11/21/2019 08:05 PM
11/21/2019 08:05 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Hi all.

B) NPS morning balls.

Oh how distressing, why didn’t you take off your high heels and throw them at them.

Re: BVI short report [Re: sail445] #209684
11/23/2019 01:48 AM
11/23/2019 01:48 AM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
Originally Posted by sail445
Hi all.

B) NPS morning balls.

Oh how distressing, why didn’t you take off your high heels and throw them at them.

Not cool

Re: BVI short report [Re: maytrix] #209720
11/23/2019 01:29 PM
11/23/2019 01:29 PM
Gun Lake, Shelbyville, MI USA
captainmurph Offline
Traveler
captainmurph  Offline
Traveler
Gun Lake, Shelbyville, MI USA
Originally Posted by maytrix
This is one reason we stopped visiting the baths by boat and visted from Leverick by rental car. You can spend as much time as you want and there's no issue finding a spot to park.

That's what we've done too and it is much better. Anyone who wanted to swim and explore could and we never had to feel guilty about using a mooring ball.

Plus, I still remember a few trips ago when a nice monohull with nobody aboard broke loose, smashed itself to pieces on the rocks for hours while everyone watched.

I just want
to live
happily
ever after,
every
now
and
then.

Jimmy Buffett
Re: BVI short report [Re: Latadjust] #209742
11/23/2019 07:48 PM
11/23/2019 07:48 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Originally Posted by Latadjust
Originally Posted by sail445
Hi all.

Not cool

Hard to teach common courtesy to strangers. I have no issue if a group seems to have run slightly past their time (who's timing?).

But when others are obviously awaiting a ball, then prep to leave and get underway even if some are still finishing their lunch slowly.

Be courteous, even when you encounter jerks!

Last edited by Deepcut; 11/23/2019 07:52 PM.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: BVI short report [Re: Michel_Benarrosh] #209745
11/23/2019 08:36 PM
11/23/2019 08:36 PM
Apex, NC
agrimsrud Offline
Traveler
agrimsrud  Offline
Traveler
Apex, NC
Not exactly the same thread but related.

I always purchase the national park permit for my crew when entering the BVI. Even when I know we're not going to use it more than once or twice. I just want to make sure the moorings are available and hopefully in good order (don't burst my bubble and tell me the revenue isn't actually used for that purpose) and I don't mind paying for something that seems like it has some value. It's been a bit hard lately to get any value btw due to squatters on the mooring balls but that's a different story. So we arrived at West End the first of Nov with a total crew of 5. We were going to be in the BVI for 3 days. I clear out of C&I with the park permit. It wasn't until I was back on the boat that I figured out that I had been charged 5 people * 6 dollars a day * 3 days = $90. The park permit cost (printed on the form) is $75/week for up to 6 people. Yup... I guess I got the special of the day! Welcome to the BVI!

Life's short - sail more!