Good morning from Mont Vernon…

Today was a day of near tragedy. The wind was blowing hard, and surf was rough. In my opinion, and that’s all it is – my opinion. It was not a good day for swimming beyond the shallows of the beach.

Shortly after we arrived at our spot on the beach, we heard a woman, probably three to four hundred feet out calling for help. She was not in distress, but beyond her, a man was. I do not know the situation, or who they were, but it was clear that a life was in danger of being lost.

Quickly, several people responded her plea for help, and a small armada of swimmers headed for the man in trouble, some armed with floats, some not. One of the Club Orient staff members, I think he was one of the security guards, though I don’t know that for a fact, quickly stripped of his clothes and dove into the surf. The man was clearly the best swimmer, and out-paced the other responders and reached the man in trouble first. Shortly after the swimmers with the flotation devices reached him also, and they brought the man ashore, near Pedro’s.

The man was breathing, but not responsive. The gendarmerie was quickly on site, but from my observation, they didn't appear to be doing much. The victim was being attended to by other persons on the beach. Maybe one of those persons had medical training, and had taken charge of the situation. I don’t know.

It took about half an hour before an ambulance and medics showed up. They assessed the situation, and loaded the victim on a gurney, and departed the scene.

I later heard that the Club O staffer, who reached the man first, later collapsed at the Perch and that a second ambulance was called to transport him to the hospital.
I do not know the condition of either the victim or the rescuer, but I hope they are both alright.
An incidence, like this makes one sit up and takes notice of just how fragile life is, and how quickly it can be lost. Here was a person enjoying life, and suddenly it is danger of being lost…

On happier note, the rest of the day at the beach was windy, but warmer, and subdued by the earlier near tragedy, but we enjoyed the company of folks we have met on the beach.

Later we ventured over in to Grand Case, to pay the balance of our rental, and to grab a bit of dinner.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We had always heard that the LOLOs were good, but had never tried one. Tonight we did. We ate at The Skies The Limit. I had the ribs and Diana had chicken. Each dish had several sides with it, and truly it was almost too much food for one person to eat. The total bill including a couple of beers -- $23.00. The food was excellent, the service quick, and friendly. We’ll be back!!

[Linked Image]

Well, that’s about it for this installment.

Dave & Diana