The alarm clock went off at 0400 this morning, and just for the briefest of moments I thought ‘Time to get ready for work already’, but then I remembered where I was. We were in Indianapolis, and it was time to start heading to the island. So, I nudged my sleeping beauty – Diana, and then proceeded to make some fine ‘hotel coffee’ to get us started.

A half an hour or so later, we are in the lobby, bags in tow, to catch the shuttle to the airport. We had scheduled the shuttle for 0500, but this morning the shuttle driver is early, this is a first, usually they are late. So we board the van, and start to the airport, and 10 minutes later we are at the terminal.

Check in at Us Airways is fairly easy this morning, another first. There weren't many people flying out on a Sunday morning apparently. So we quickly get checked in and head for the security gauntlet. Again this was quick and painless, and after less than thirty minutes we are at our gate, waiting for our aircraft, and our 0700 departure to Charlotte.

After making our connection we are finally on our last leg to the island. It never ceases to amaze me that we start out our morning in one place and end up thousands of miles away in another by early afternoon.

Today was an uneventful day of mostly boredom, spent at 37 thousand feet. But right on schedule our ‘Magic Carpet’ started its’ decent into SXM, and we knew then that we were on vacation, at last.

After clearing immigration, we collected our bags, and were met by Lesley in the terminal. Ten minutes later we are driving our new Nissan out of the parking lot of PJA and heading for Market Garden, where we laid in some supplies to get us through the first day or so of our stay.

After the supply stop, we proceeded to Mont Vernon, and our studio rental – the same one we have stayed in on each of our previous trips. The key was in the lock box waiting for us when we arrived. This is really a nice touch, and most appreciated.

This year there were a few beers in the refrigerator, and a few snacks waiting also – left by the previous tenant, I assume. Nevertheless, that was a nice surprise too.

After unpacking, we took a walk down the length of Orient Beach. It was nice to see that the beach has recovered nicely, and the seaweed problem of last year appears be over.

By the time we get back, it’s getting dark, so we fix a light dinner, and settle into our first night on the island. It feels like home, and it’s nice to be home again – even for a short time.

Good evening from our home away from home…

Dave & Diana