Member Spotlight
Southshore
Southshore
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Kennys, Fran, cabokid, SteveH, ChiTownHarry, lcote, eightzerobits, Leagle49, fabila, MKGrey, timnboston, jenniboston, deputydog1157, Jaybird, KC2SXM, steve74, Zanshin, Tom, boucharda, Jc1925, tradewinds, Beansbbq, road3682, 6 invisible), 943 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon #245303
01/18/2021 09:52 PM
01/18/2021 09:52 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline OP
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline OP
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Bulletin from the SXM NATURE FOUNDATION:

Plaza Puerta del Sol Wastewater Treatment Plant Continues to Pump Sewage into the Simpson Bay Lagoon.
The Nature Foundation has been responding numerous times upon request from multiple concerned citizens, about a very strong sewage scent emerging from wastewater being pumped into the Simpson Bay Lagoon by Plaza Puerta del Sol. "Already in December the Foundation had visited the site multiple times and recorded a very strong sewage scent every time and even saw sewage entering the lagoon. This included small pieces of possible toilet paper and feces which were seen floating out of the pipe. The situation was explained to the management of the wastewater treatment plant, as it was evidently emerging from their system" stated the Nature Foundation St. Maarten.
The Nature Foundation advised the management of the treatment plant to directly stop the pumping of the wastewater into the lagoon and to use sewage trucks instead, until the situation is 100% solved and the water is tested to be clean. Besides, the situation was communicated with VROMI inspection and it was advised to not allow to continue these activities.
"A few days later the situation resumed, and we again spoke with the Management and explained to use sewage trucks until the treatment plant is tested to work properly. Unfortunately, last week we have recorded raw sewage to enter the lagoon originating from the Puerta del Sol treatment plant once again" stated the Foundation.
The Nature Foundation did not receive any indication that the treatment plant has been repaired or that the water has been tested to be clean within the standards of their hindrance permit. "In addition, the strong sewage scent, the dirty water being seen to be pumped out and visible toilet paper pieces, show clearly that this treatment plant is not working properly and should be stopped operating before more or irreversible damage has been done" continued the Foundation's statement.
Pumping raw sewage into the marine environment can lead to serious health issues for surrounding inhabitants. Swimming, diving or walking in water contaminated with fecal bacteria can result in gastrointestinal illness (diarrhea or vomiting), respiratory illness, and infections of the skin, ear, eye, sinus, and wound infections.
Fecal contaminated waters can impact the environment and marine life tremendously, as high nutrient input due to poor sewage treatment creates algae blooms. Poor sewage treatment causes raw untreated sewage finding its ways into water bodies. This contaminated water is rich in nitrogen compounds such as nitrates and ammonia, and causes algal bloom. Algae blooms increase the competition for oxygen, leading to an imbalance in the aquatic ecosystem and suffocation of aquatic animals like fish and other marine life, ending up with dead and stinky waters. Marine life species may also be impacted directly, such as the sea turtle disease Fibropapillomatosis which can be enhanced by polluted waters.
Input of high concentrations of nutrients have a very large impact on coral reefs and is actually the main cause of widespread death of coral cover across the Caribbean. Coral reefs are the most productive and species rich marine ecosystems and are critical for fisheries, tourism, shore protection and biodiversity of tropical islands. However, they are the most nutrient sensitive of all habitats, requiring the lowest external inputs to avoid eutrophication and habitat degradation caused by excessive growth of algae, as algae thrive and overgrow corals due to additional nutrient input.
Besides the serious negative health effects and environmental impacts, the sewage scent can seriously harm the tourist industry, as currently the island's tourists first experience the strong smell of sewage instead of enjoying their vacation when visiting close to this location.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: SXMScubaman] #245304
01/19/2021 06:22 AM
01/19/2021 06:22 AM
Lancaster County PA. Home of t...
Jeff_C Offline
Traveler
Jeff_C  Offline
Traveler
Lancaster County PA. Home of t...
My wife and I would go to Buccaneer Beach Bar , and look out over the Bay . We always said we would never get into that water .
We went on a 10 day catamaran trip in the BVI's back in 2000 . We were told not to flush toilet paper in the toilet . To put it in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash .
Because guess where your waste goes . So when I see all those boats in the bay ..... I know it's going to be nasty . Jeff_C

If your motto is ; If at first you don't succeed......
Maybe it would be best not to try sky diving !
Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: Jeff_C] #245308
01/19/2021 08:46 AM
01/19/2021 08:46 AM
Eastern Caribbean
Ritchard Offline
Traveler
Ritchard  Offline
Traveler
Eastern Caribbean
Originally Posted by Jeff_C
My wife and I would go to Buccaneer Beach Bar , and look out over the Bay . We always said we would never get into that water .
We went on a 10 day catamaran trip in the BVI's back in 2000 . We were told not to flush toilet paper in the toilet . To put it in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash .
Because guess where your waste goes . So when I see all those boats in the bay ..... I know it's going to be nasty . Jeff_C

If you consider the millions of gallons of water in that bay, and the millions and millions of gallons that exchange with the tides, the waste from a handful of boats is nothing. On the other hand, the Simpson Bay Resort is rumoured to be pretty cavalier with its waste.

Working hard to be the best yacht bum I can be.
Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: SXMScubaman] #245314
01/19/2021 09:36 AM
01/19/2021 09:36 AM
South Coast of MA
S
SXMBND Offline
Traveler
SXMBND  Offline
Traveler
S
South Coast of MA
The lagoon is a different story.

Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: Jeff_C] #245329
01/19/2021 12:04 PM
01/19/2021 12:04 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline OP
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline OP
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Originally Posted by Jeff_C

The Lagoon is where this problem is. Not so much the Bay in front of BBB. Two different bodies of water.

Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: SXMScubaman] #245355
01/19/2021 04:33 PM
01/19/2021 04:33 PM
Massachusetts
boucharda Online content
Traveler
boucharda  Online Content
Traveler
Massachusetts
Yes, but Kimsha had issues with e coli levels last year also

Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: SXMScubaman] #245373
01/19/2021 06:12 PM
01/19/2021 06:12 PM
Kennys Online content
Traveler
Kennys  Online Content
Traveler
We never swim there period.

Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: Kennys] #245375
01/19/2021 06:41 PM
01/19/2021 06:41 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Yes, I would never swim at Kimsha.

Carol Hill
Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: Jeff_C] #245378
01/19/2021 07:19 PM
01/19/2021 07:19 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Many, many years ago - maybe thirty or more - we used to do a lot of boat trips that originated at Kimsha. One time when trying to catch the right wave and hop into the dinghy, I joked with the boat driver that worse case scenario, if I missed the dinghy I could always swim to the boat. He told me in no uncertain terms NEVER to swim in that area because of the over-all lack of waste management in the area and this from someone who knew the island and about what he spoke. And this was years before the development in the area we know about today.

I’m sure there are those who do with no ill effects but that caution has always stuck in my mind and I would never consider doing so. But that’s just me........

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Raw sewage in Simpson Bay Lagoon [Re: Kennys] #245381
01/19/2021 08:39 PM
01/19/2021 08:39 PM
Kennys Online content
Traveler
Kennys  Online Content
Traveler
Yes Dear , that's why we miss Buccaneer , because of the setting , food and the background footage of KimSha Beach .