RonDon 85
fabila 47
Zanshin 39
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (hokiesailor, xrayman67, SXMScubaman, Lionsail, Cincinnati_Kid, ydrwrb1, GaryC, GeorgeC1, bailau, nevar37, TRIM, steve74, marybeth, jazzgal, cbinparadise, ARC, JerseyPal, 3 invisible), 811 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Steve Cropper #258804
06/20/2021 12:27 PM
06/20/2021 12:27 PM
Daniel Island
Guineaman Offline OP
Traveler
Guineaman  Offline OP
Traveler
Daniel Island
My age-riddled brain seems to recall that Brother Steve Cropper has some kind of connection with the BVI. Many of you probably know the connection. Some of you may know Steve. I only know him through his music.

Yesterday's Wall Street Journal (pg. C6) had an article about Steve, his history, his music, and his new album. I wasn't sure how to upload a PDF of the article, so I simply cut-and-pasted the contents into a TXT file and thence to here. MODS: Bash me if I done wrong, but be kind.

Rock and Soul Mainstay Steve Cropper Is Still Making Music
The guitarist and songwriter who collaborated with Otis Redding and John Lennon is releasing a new album at age 79
By Alan Paul
June 18, 2021 12:00 pm ET

Steve Cropper has been the cornerstone of some of the best rock and soul music of the 20th century, revered by fellow musicians but never as well known as some of his collaborators. As guitarist, songwriter and producer, the 79-year-old Mr. Cropper made music with Otis Redding, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Levon Helm, Jeff Beck, John Prine, the Staples Singers, Rod Stewart and Neil Young. Among the songs he helped create are “In the Midnight Hour,” “(Sitting on) The Dock of the Bay,” “Born Under a Bad Sign” and Booker T. and the MGs’ “Green Onions,” one of the most iconic instrumental tracks ever recorded.

Mr. Cropper’s pithy, soulful guitar part on that song inspired legions of admirers. “Hearing ‘Green Onions’ on the radio as I got ready for school gave me chills and made me feel wild,” says blues guitarist Jimmie Vaughan. “The guitar lead was shattering; it all sort of starts there for so many of us.”

Mr. Cropper has recorded on his own only sporadically, releasing eight solo albums over 50-plus years. Now he has released “Fire It Up,” his first solo album in a decade and a product of the pandemic.For the first time, Mr. Cropper worked with veteran singer-songwriter Roger C. Reale, who shocked him by suggesting that he would record all his vocals on an iPhone. It was a scary proposition for Mr. Cropper, one of the all-time great studio magicians.

But when he heard Mr. Reale’s first vocal tracks, he was convinced: “Where’s this guy been all my life?“ he thought. Despite the modern technology, the album is dominated by classic old-school soul songs, with surging organ, gritty vocals and Cropper’s stabbing lead lines and chugging rhythms propelling tunes punctuated by horns.

When the time came to finish the guitar tracks, Mr. Cropper had to confront a problem. “I had left the guitar alone for too long, and my fingers weren’t working like they used to,” he says. “I’ve never really played much when I’m not on the road or the studio, but I had never taken that long of a break. I had to work to get back to where I wanted to be.”

Asked how he developed his singular guitar style, a bedrock of soul music deeply rooted in gospel, country, blues and R&B, Mr. Cropper shrugs. “I’ve always been a channeler, not a musician,” he says. “When the spirit hits me, I go with it. From time to time, it just falls out of the ceiling, and I’m there to catch it.”

Mr. Cropper was born on a farm in Willow Springs, Mo., in 1941. When he was 9 his family moved to Memphis, Tenn., where his father worked as a railroad detective. He was exposed to Black gospel music and fell in love with it, working odd jobs to save up $18 to purchase his first guitar from the Sears catalog.

When Mr. Cropper was 21 his band the Mar-Keys had their first hit with “Last Night,” a bouncy organ- and horn-driven instrumental. That band soon morphed into Booker T. and the MGs, which became the house band for Stax Records, Memphis’ cornerstone soul label. Stax recorded and released music at a dizzying pace, producing hits for Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave, Albert King and many others.

A turning point for Mr. Cropper and the label arrived almost accidentally in 1962, when guitarist Johnny Jenkins was recording in the studio. He had brought along a then-unknown Otis Redding, who worked for him as a driver and onstage singing foil. Redding kept bugging the band to listen to him sing, until drummer Al Jackson finally asked Mr. Cropper to come “get this guy off [his] back.”

Since keyboardist Booker T. Jones had gone home, Mr. Cropper sat at the piano, and the singer told him, “Just give me some of them church chords.” “I knew what Otis meant and started playing, and as soon as he sang two words the hair on my arms stood up,” recalls Mr. Cropper. “It was immediate. That’s how well he sang and his timber in his voice. I had never heard a voice like that. It blew me away and never stopped doing so.”

Mr. Cropper stopped the singer almost immediately, much to Redding’s dissatisfaction—“You don’t like my song?” he asked—because he wanted Stax owner Jim Stewart to hear it. Stewart loved the song and called the band back together to record “These Arms of Mine,” with Mr. Cropper on piano and Jenkins playing guitar. The gorgeous ballad was the start of a stellar five-year run for Redding, with a steady stream of classics recorded in Memphis with the same crew. “Working with Otis had as much to do with the way I play as anything,” says Mr. Cropper. “I just instinctively knew what to play behind him.”

On December 10, 1967, Otis Redding and most of his band were killed in a plane crash in Wisconsin. As a shocked pall settled in, Mr. Cropper threw himself into finishing his friend and collaborator’s final, uncompleted song: “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay,” a wistful, folky departure from the hardcore soul singing that had made Redding famous.

Redding and Mr. Cropper had been confident it would be a breakthrough hit, taking Redding from soul star to pop icon. They had looked forward to completing the recording together, a job that now fell to Mr. Cropper alone. “Writing the song was easy because Otis had such a strong vision of it, but finishing it was the hardest thing anybody would ever have to do,” he says. One of the final touches he added to the song was the sound of squawking seagulls and crashing waves.

In 1978, Mr. Cropper got an unlikely career boost when he backed comedians John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd as a key member of their Blues Brothers band, which had begun as a sketch on Saturday Night Live. When he started, Mr. Cropper recalls, it “seemed like a fun one-off thing,” opening a run of Los Angeles shows for comic Steve Martin. The Blues Brothers “had a blast” playing nine shows, but when they released an album, “Briefcase Full of Blues,” audiences took to it for real, making it a number one, multiplatinum hit. That spurred the 1980 “Blues Brothers” movie, which shined a light on African-American musical giants like Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, James Brown and John Lee Hooker.

Mr. Cropper says he and bandmate Donald “Duck” Dunn got a lot of flak when that record came out, with people asking why we were “working with these two clowns. That was ridiculous. They were real musicians who loved the blues and did a lot of good for a lot of us. John Belushi was one of the nicest guys you would ever want to make music with—just awesome.”

“I’ve been asked many times why I was so successful, but I have no idea!” says Mr. Cropper. “Lots of luck. It’s not necessarily the expertise and knowledge that you have; you have to put yourself in a position to accept it when it comes. Nobody’s gonna do it for you.”

Bill on Daniel Island
BVI Sponsors
Re: Steve Cropper [Re: Guineaman] #258811
06/20/2021 02:10 PM
06/20/2021 02:10 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Steve has been a very close friend of mine since about 1981 when he was playing with The Blues Brothers.He has stayed at our home here on Littlle Apple Bay a couple of times and played at outstanding set with The Elmtones at The Elm. They did every Cropper hit from Dock of the Bay to Midhnight Hour to Knock on Wood. Anyone who was there that night had a rare treat from one of the best Rock N Roll Hall of Fame guitarists of all time. Steve, George and boys still talk about it. We have been lucky enough to stay with Steve and his wife Angel in Nashville too and seen him play some memorable music there..including one of the last of Booker T and MG';s with Duck Dunn and Eddie Floyd ( Knock on Wood) on vocalls and the Memphis Horns. What a night that was!! Jeff Carlin was a longtime moderator here and he heard Steve and I were pals and he was a die hard Crop fan. I got tickets for him and his wife Chrissie to Crop's concert in Nashville at the Ryman Auditorium ( the old Grand Ole Oprey) and he got to visit for a long time with Crop at the after party. Jeff is gone now but I know that was very special to him. I hope you get to meet or hear Crop one day soon..he is a terrific talent and a wonderful friend..
You can contact stve at playitsteve.com ( The shout out to him from the original "Soulman" and recreated by Belushi in their version). Tell Steve you "know" me..

Last edited by Manpot; 06/20/2021 02:15 PM.
Re: Steve Cropper [Re: Guineaman] #258812
06/20/2021 02:11 PM
06/20/2021 02:11 PM
706jim Offline
Traveler
706jim  Offline
Traveler
I bought an album back in 1966 entitled "Bill Black's Combo plays Chuck Berry's hits". Learned all of the guitar parts, very trebly with lots of string bending. Years later I figured it had to be Steve Cropper playing the guitar as his style and licks are very recognizable. And should Steve ever read this post, I would tell him that I was impressed with his guitar chords playing a fifth interval ahead of the rest of the band during "Green onions". Doubt that many ever noticed this quirk. So, yes an influential musician know for sitting in with the "Elmtones" from time to time.

Last edited by 706jim; 06/20/2021 02:12 PM.
Re: Steve Cropper [Re: Guineaman] #258889
06/21/2021 11:18 AM
06/21/2021 11:18 AM
Manhattan Beach, CA
calsail Offline
Traveler
calsail  Offline
Traveler
Manhattan Beach, CA
Check with Malcolm. Steve played one epic Sunbday night some years ago with the Elmtones. It was a super time for those of us who were fortunate to have been there.

Re: Steve Cropper [Re: Manpot] #258890
06/21/2021 11:20 AM
06/21/2021 11:20 AM
Manhattan Beach, CA
calsail Offline
Traveler
calsail  Offline
Traveler
Manhattan Beach, CA
Mal, Great to see you back home.