Member Spotlight
Angelface
Angelface
Washington, DC/SXM
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (sxm2001, JandIrene, ChiTownHarry, Cap’n Rog, jrw, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, CaribbeanCanadians, SXMbeacher, mark37, charlie, SXMBND, GeorgeC1, pl3, SeaLady29, Kennys, Kevin_B, Beansbbq, Kiles41, ColoBoater, Halcyon, Zanshin, Kathleen, SXMScubaman, bailau, SURICK, OceanSong, JerseyPal, CJIMI, 9 invisible), 913 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ST JOHN part 4 #262802
08/18/2021 05:26 PM
08/18/2021 05:26 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
STJ August 3-10,2021

Ok, the plan this morning was to wake everyone much earlier and try for parking at Trunk. I've developed a poor sleeping pattern the last couple of years, doesn't matter when I go to sleep, but I often wake at 0330, but on this trip I was able to sleep through the night until 0530-0600, which was nice! We departed the villa just before 0800 and decided to see if Northshore Deli was open, YES they were!! We ordered delicious breakfast sandwiches and also lunch sandwiches, and an extra 12 pack of beer juuuuust incase!!

[Linked Image]

We were out of there in less than 20 minutes and in our parking space at 0845!! It was so early that the NPS booth hadn't even opened yet. There were maybe 3 other groups of early birds in the left/middle of the beach, shortest distance to the cay. We went far right and found a premium spot under a Seagrape tree/bush canopy. This would be perfect since we would spend the next 5 hours just chill'in!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bay right in front of us had a large fish ball of minnows moving in and out, this was the feeding ground for large tarpon and pelicans. We could sit and watch that aerial show all day! It wasn't unusual to be wading and have a pelican dive bomb within feet of us, rising to the surface to siphon out the water and enjoy its catch, cool!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bath houses and shops etc. look the same. We enjoyed a couple cold drinks from the bar such as Lime In Da Coconut and my favorite a Rum and Root Beer! however, one noticeable and very important thing missing at Trunk is the beach vegetation and palm trees, this is true at all of the beaches we visited. A few tall palms did miraculously survive though! unfortunately, we didn't see any of the low sweeping variety. All in all, no place more beautiful in the world!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We took advantage of the nice showers and called an end to a great beach day! Headed back to the villa to get cleaned up for shopping and dinner at the Lime Inn. We lucked out and found an open FREE parking space near the Post Office. From what I saw the daily parking is around $25.

First stop was Mongoose Junction, the shops offer relatively the same merchandise as they always have, but the Bajo el Sol Gallery has changed things up a bit, Art Bar Rum Room, pretty cool!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course the ladies ended up at their favorite jewelry shops RI Patton, Freebird and Vibe...purchases of course were made. It's always active in the center of town, and I did notice the improvements where the restaurants/bars sit, such as Cruz Bay Landing, cool looking place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I received a text from Lime Inn while shopping to confirm our reservation we made 2 weeks prior. I simply walked over to confirm and had a beer at the bar. It seemed different not being greeted by now retired Rich, but his daughter Chelsea is filling his shoes nicely and the way she made us feel at home was certainly a trait she inherited from her mom and dad. Soon the gang joined me for one amazing dinner! We are not huge "by volume" eaters so we chose the 4 course option over the 6 course. For the foodies...Choice of appetizer I had Proscuitto wrapped buffalo mozzarella with tomato, Bubu salad that included watermelon and cashews was awesome, large rack of fall off the bones Rum Ribs on roasted garlic mashed potatoes and last but not least Coconut Dream Tembleque which was crazy good! I didn't take food pics, but my daughter took pics of her filet and Bubu salad! Not knowing they were closing for season the next day we felt fortunate for this memorable dining experience! You may have noticed that I do not like a lot of change, we ate here when we got engaged, we ate here on our honeymoon, we eat there every time we visit, some things that are perfect should never change ! FYI, they plan to reopen October 4th, maybe we'll plan around that? https://thelimeinn.com/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To be continued, Cheers!!...........

Last edited by BEERMAN; 08/18/2021 05:27 PM.
BVI Sponsors
Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #262807
08/18/2021 08:16 PM
08/18/2021 08:16 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
Trunk is just Soooooooooooooo Beautiful.

Back in the 70s no one swim on that side of the little island because as the story went there was a very aggressive large barracuda.

I remember snorkeling around the island not long after JAWS came out and I heard the music the whole way. Of course this was long before water proof ear buds. smile smile

Last edited by TomB; 08/18/2021 10:05 PM.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #262818
08/19/2021 05:18 AM
08/19/2021 05:18 AM
Boston, MA
D
Daisy304 Offline
Traveler
Daisy304  Offline
Traveler
D
Boston, MA
Absolutely love reading your reports and looking at your beautiful pictures! I am reliving our time on STJ which was so enjoyable. We too arrived at Trunk Bay on the 2 days we went at 8;30/8:45 and secured the best spots on a deserted beach! We tried for dinner reservations at the Lime Out but was unsuccessful as was the case with a lot of the other places. We ate at 1864 in Mongoose which was good but it was the only "fine dining reservation" we were able to get. Next time reservations are made way in advance! Can't wait for your next installment!

Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #262824
08/19/2021 07:51 AM
08/19/2021 07:51 AM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Tom, I didn't even put fins on all week! But at trunk I swam with my mask when the guys told me about the tarpon, they were everywhere. The guys snorkeled a lot and said the cay was not so good, but the far right side was great and full of various marine life. Funny to listen to people walk/snorkel by saying did you see those sharks!! Tarpon so active their fins were constantly seen above water and even jumping out of the water.

Daisy304, knowing it was closing night a couple from our villa complex called Lime Inn lucked into a table. I walked into the new restaurant Shaibu and made a reservation 2 days in advance, times were of course limited. Until worldwide travel picks up, I think it's best to make reservations on STJ weeks in advance. 18*64* looks nice, how was the food/service?

Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #262854
08/19/2021 01:56 PM
08/19/2021 01:56 PM
Boston, MA
D
Daisy304 Offline
Traveler
Daisy304  Offline
Traveler
D
Boston, MA
Totally agree with you on making reservations weeks in advance and you are right about limited times. We were able to get an 8:00 reservation at Extra Virgin Bistro but ended up cancelling after we had dinner at 18.64. I guess it's the same owners. We really liked 18.64. The service was excellent as was the food. We should have kept our EV reservations but 8:00 dinner was just too late for me! Next time we will approach it a little differently. We are STJ newbies so we definitely learned from our first trip. I will say we thought that SXM has so many more dining options. We haven't been in 4 years but had been going for about 20 years prior to Irma.... JoAnne

Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: Daisy304] #262863
08/19/2021 05:04 PM
08/19/2021 05:04 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
St John has/had some great "fine dining" restaurants, but with the amount of current visitor's it's so limited. I'm so out of the referral loop, but RickG was nice enough to post a pinned map with many choices, most are not "fine dining" locations, but certainly authentic and great I suspect.. We didn't eat at Morgan's Mango this trip, but my guess is that they are still excellent. ZOZO's was closed at Caneel, but when they were at Gallows Point they were excellent. I went into Shaibu's looks amazing! Does anyone know if the chef of Sweet Plantains opened up another restaurant? My regret on this trip is that we didn't have any true West Indies influence meals. We've only been to SXM once, perhaps our best dining experience was at Dreams.

Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #262870
08/20/2021 08:55 AM
08/20/2021 08:55 AM
C
Cleobeach Offline
Traveler
Cleobeach  Offline
Traveler
C
“…….. I do not like a lot of change, we ate here when we got engaged, we ate here on our honeymoon, we eat there every time we visit, some things that are perfect should never change”

I recognize myself in the above!

I am enjoying all your posts. We drifted over to VG for the past couple of trips and your reports are making me miss STJ and almost regret my recent deposit on a VG villa for Feb.

$25 parking in Cruz Bay is blowing my mind.

Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: Cleobeach] #262874
08/20/2021 09:40 AM
08/20/2021 09:40 AM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Cleobeach, Cool Breeze said we were welcome to park there after 6:30pm, IF a spot was available, used it once. We like St John Car Rental also because of parking and location. Twice we lucked out and found a free spot in lot across from the Post Office. We never had to pay the $25!! No regrets, we like VG also!!

Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #262901
08/20/2021 02:39 PM
08/20/2021 02:39 PM
C
Cleobeach Offline
Traveler
Cleobeach  Offline
Traveler
C
IF there is a spot indeed….we have used ST John Car Renal since 2005 and even pre-CoVId crowd times we struck out.

Re: ST JOHN part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #263067
08/25/2021 05:34 AM
08/25/2021 05:34 AM
Bucks County, Pa.
toast Offline
Traveler
toast  Offline
Traveler
Bucks County, Pa.
Never miss a visit to Freebird when I in St John!!!

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane