RonDon 83
fabila 47
Zanshin 39
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Lionsail, Marsh, CaribbeanCanadians, Zanshin, eightzerobits, MikeBiondo, GeorgeC1, BillDauterive, Angelface, SXMScubaman, jazzgal, Tracey868, Bernd, RonDon, knitsoftwear, MNsnowbird, oldog, timnboston, BSer, JeanneB, Kevin_B, Fitzhughlaw, luvtotravel, bailau, 10 invisible), 933 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip report 10/24 - 11/1 finally! #268909
11/12/2021 11:28 PM
11/12/2021 11:28 PM
Billings, MT
harleybuffett Offline OP
Traveler
harleybuffett  Offline OP
Traveler
Billings, MT
As it was with so many of us, this was our May 2020 cat charter...rescheduled twice...because we all know why....then FINALLY! It was honestly hard to get excited right up until we boarded the plane...just waiting .....waiting....for the other shoe to drop. I was exposed to Covid by a co-worker ( unknowingly on her part ) 6 days before taking my test to go... cloud but the stars aligned and all tests were negative banana . A little back story, we are a group of 3 couples who have chartered in the BVI 3 times prior. Some love it....some just show up to make their wives happy thanks We don't really snorkel anymore...nobody dives... we're not foodies... we ( girls ) just LOVE it here joy
We decided to spend some time on STJ before the charter just in case the BVI decided at the 11th hour to reinstitute the quarantine...at least we wouldn't have to change vacation days or plane tickets. Plus who does not want to spend 5 nights on STJ?? ....Anyone????...just as I thought grin

We had Chill Out Charters pick us up on STJ ( HIGHLY recommend !! ). We hadn't taken a private water taxi before, but honestly, I will eat peanut butter sandwiches for 2 months if it means we can do that vs. the ferry, taxi, ferry, taxi shuffle.
We had obviously tested negative to fly into STT....then we tested in STJ as well...entering results into the Hummingbird portal...then we tested AGAIN at West End... a cash grab if you ask us, but fine....whatever...we're here!
Our boat was with Dream Yacht Charters on Scrub, so after a brief stop at West End, we were off to Scrub...yay!!

Upon arrival, we stowed ( trying to use nautical terminology ) our luggage with Dream Yacht and headed to the pool...and the bar...more specifically... the bar cool
We were due to board the boat for our sleep aboard around 4:30. Actually it wasn't the original boat we paid for ( thru Owner Time ) because that specific boat ( 2019 45ft Lagoon ) went to the USVI to be put in charter. We were given the opportunity to switch to the USVI but...no...not interested. So, we had been upgraded to a 52ft Lagoon ( at no cost to us ) so we were pretty excited. Until....we found out the 52 ft had no working A/C... pieces and parts were available but probably not a fix....deal breaker for us. Another back story...we're not true sailors...we don't even like camping without a motorhome type thing.. Honestly we are NOT " those people ". Some of us work 2nd jobs to afford this. We are not high maintenance or demanding or arrogant..it was just disappointing.

After much haggling we were given rooms at Scrub Island Resort. SO lovely...but what about the boat? And our captain...who lived on Anegada...they weren't going to pay for a room for him...so we did.

Next morning ( when we were supposed to be heading out ) we found out there was no fixing the 52ft...but the only other one they would have available was a 43ft Bali (2016 ) . A fair amount of torn/stained cushions, no trampolines, no aft ( another nautical term !!! ) seating/dining/napping area... sigh.......ugh....we came all the way from Montana...we only have so much time/money. Fine....we want to get on the water!!! So around 12:30 we were off and headed to Saba!! wave

Saba!!! So beautiful!!! We were stunned by what an amazing job they did rebuilding. Kudos to them!
After drinks, shopping, pictures, wandering around...back to the boat to grill filets we had brought with us......SO great to be back!

At first light we were off to Anegada...we didn't go last trip (2018) so it was time!
Our captain informed us that since that's where he lived...he spent the night in his "own bed" whenever he brought charters to Anegada...........wait....WHAT?? We are all boaters at home, albiet ... ski boats on lakes but...seriously??? Sh*t can go wrong so quickly here.... cloud. He made it sound like this was a routine thing,,,we just went along. ( had a chat with the base manager about this later )

We were off to Cow Wreck to hang out and enjoy the amazing beach/water/Belle smile Everything was just as we remembered...so amazing to be back!
We had made reservations for dinner at Anegada Beach Club...like a moth to a flame we ( the girls ) are attracted to anything that includes a thatched roof! It' s SO true...what a beautiful place! We hung at the beach, the pool and then the dining room for an incredible dinner. However.......the bug bites were awful...I mean....even with bug spray...RELENTLESS.......we have traveled many times to the USVI/BVI and are personally familiar with bug bites..but holy h*ll.....

The next morning we took the dinghy and headed to "town" ....I'm pretty sure the only reason my husband likes to come on these trips is to drive the dinghy...it's true!! That and putting the sails up...he loves that!!! We stopped at Lil Bits to see what we couldn't live without. Evidently, it was a watermelon, 2 bags of ice and what we were told was a mango....that turned out to be an avacado.....stop laughing. cry......seriously.......it wasn't me that fell for that.......but I feel that will be a joke that someone will not live down for many, many, many years!!!..
Still cruising in the dinghy ( after the ice was safely deposited on the boat ) we were hoping Pam's Kitchen was open for breakfast. Her hash browns and French toast are stuff dreams are made of.....but NOOOOOO, they don't appear to be open frown back to the boat I guess......and who shows up???? Our captain......thank God nothing went south while he was gone but still, it was a little unsettling.

Next stop, Sandy Spit! Sails, up for a bit...for hubby! But then as we all know ,we have a long way to go...so motor on.
So great to see her again!! Much more sand deposited than in 2018 :duh .As with anything here, time changes everything smile 4 of us swam from the boat to check it out joy None of us were smart enough to bring a phone so luckily we ran into some kind fellow travelers who took our picture and texted it to us .

Next stop...B-Line .... incredible, ( STRONG ) drinks ! We were fortunate enough to be there not long after they first opened so we loved to be able to stop again...

Final stop, Little Harbor.....reservations at Sidney's for dinner

More to come....thanks for reading!!!!!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Trip report 10/24 - 11/1 finally! [Re: harleybuffett] #268916
11/13/2021 07:35 AM
11/13/2021 07:35 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
nice report...congrats

always interesting when the captain tries to leave the boat overnight...

Re: Trip report 10/24 - 11/1 finally! [Re: harleybuffett] #268918
11/13/2021 08:50 AM
11/13/2021 08:50 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
With a good forecast for the night I don’t see any problem with the skipper going home for the evening. The only real issue would be the generator tripping off and losing AC! Many groups might enjoy a evening without the skipper on the boat.

Re: Trip report 10/24 - 11/1 finally! [Re: harleybuffett] #268919
11/13/2021 08:51 AM
11/13/2021 08:51 AM
Petoskey, MI
CottageGirl Offline
Traveler
CottageGirl  Offline
Traveler
Petoskey, MI
You mentioned bringing filets from home. How was your experience bringing in a cooler of food? We’ve done it before but it’s been a long time.

Re: Trip report 10/24 - 11/1 finally! [Re: harleybuffett] #268920
11/13/2021 08:59 AM
11/13/2021 08:59 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
I Bring some food items every time. They may or may not charge you duty. Runs about 50/50. I rarely bring more than about 100.00 dollars worth of food so duty is 10 bucks. I do declare what I bring every time. Failure to do so is where a problem may occur.

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 11/13/2021 09:00 AM.
Re: Trip report 10/24 - 11/1 finally! [Re: GeorgeC1] #268924
11/13/2021 09:32 AM
11/13/2021 09:32 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
With a good forecast for the night I don’t see any problem with the skipper going home for the evening. The only real issue would be the generator tripping off and losing AC! Many groups might enjoy a evening without the skipper on the boat.

I would respectfully disagree my friend...there are many things that could go wrong on a boat especially with a novice crew and new area and unknown boat. I would imagine the charter companies don't want that liability of a paid captain leaving the crew.

Re: Trip report 10/24 - 11/1 finally! [Re: harleybuffett] #268934
11/13/2021 10:37 AM
11/13/2021 10:37 AM
Northern Virginia
ecm56 Offline
Traveler
ecm56  Offline
Traveler
Northern Virginia
We spoke to Pam in April or May, we bumped into her on the ferry back from Tortola, and she said they were closed (both Pam's Kitchen and Neptune's Treasure). Neptune's Treasure has been listed for sale.