For what it’s worth, I’m going to try to give something back to the group of dedicated SXM lovers that we call TTOL with some assorted observations from our recent visit. Not only have I met some great folks through this BB, I’ve also gained invaluable information on things to do, sights to see and places to eat while on island. And thanks IslandGem for your help in learning how to include pictures! For some reason I couldn’t get them all to size down, but after over 2 hours I gave up - sorry about that folks.

I was a long-time “lurker”on TTOL, devouring the trip reports of others, but I finally registered last year just to be able to send a PM to a bunch that were gathering for a day sail on the Pasaat. Doing so allowed me to meet a wonderful group of people and it was so fun to see many of them again this year!

We were already in Arizona, so our flight took us first to LAX, then overnight to EWR and on down to SXM on the early morning United flight. Except for a 6 hour layover in LAX (made somewhat more tolerable by our one-time passes to the United Club and a nice supper at Wolfgang Puck’s cafe) the flight was fine. We napped at bit from LAX to EWR where a quick stop left us time for breakfast and gave us a great view of Manhattan waking up to a beautiful sunrise (my photo doesn’t do it justice at all).

[img][image]http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w530/ImaPrairieGirl/Manhattan_zps28506f62.jpg[/img][/image]

We were on island from November 30th through December 19th. We have been travelling to SXM since 1996 during this timeframe (or the few weeks prior) and I can honestly say we have never before experienced rain/wind of such a significant intensity for such an extended period. But the weather was still warm, and overall it was more of a novelty than a hindrance. It actually made us tour around the island a bit more rather than just plopping ourselves on the beach with a good book.

It even gave us an excuse to go looking for Kokomo (due to another tip from TTOL). We found it and the place looks lovely. Didn’t stay because it was NOT a beach day weather-wise, but checked out the menu and will return next year. We felt very welcomed by the proprietors and staff. A very French atmosphere (of course) and although not an inexpensive day at the beach, probably no more than one at Palm Beach or Calmos Café (both of which we love) once you factor in the exchange rate. Stopped over to Calmos Café one day, but the beach has eroded to the point of making it tough to spend the day there. Then the skies opened up big time so we decided to go find Grape Wine. It was fun perusing the wines and chatting with the very gracious young woman who owns it together with her husband (he was off making deliveries).

Our first two weeks were spent at OBBR where we have owned since our first visit to the island. We are quite content here – the units are nice, but the staff is what really makes this place shine. Many of them have worked here for a very long time, and everyone works hard to ensure that their guests are happy.

It is my tradition to walk over to L’Oasis every morning for coffee. Good French coffee is the best way to start the day. During some of these mornings, I enjoyed conversations with another regular, Susan, who it turns out owns Hope Cottage up on the hill overlooking Oyster Pond. We enjoyed a lovely evening with Susan and her husband John at their place and were very impressed with the unique experience they have to offer – where most villas are designed (and hence affordable) because you can share them with friends, this villa is perfect for a single couple. The views are incredible and it has a very “Old Caribbean” feel with all the modern amenities.

One morning the rain just would not let up, so instead of my morning walk I went down to the fitness room at OBBR – for the first time ever in all the years we’ve been going there! I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. There were quite a number of treadmills and ellipticals as well as weight machines and free weights too. The equipment was all in good shape and there were also several TVs to keep you occupied. I preferred looking out the window at the marina activities.

Another of my traditions is a visit to the Indulgence Spa (on site at OBBR) for a Citrus Mani/Pedi when I first arrive and then a scrub/massage right before I leave. Pure heaven!

While in this area we usually eat close by – suppers at L’Oasis & Quai Ouest (several times each), Island Pizza, Canoa & Daniels – all were great. Had good lunches at both Infinity and Dinghy Dock. I wanted to go to DD because of the changes that I learned about here on TTOL – all good improvements that I would not have known about otherwise.

We also ate several meals in, having picked up supplies at Le Grand Marche, including both chicken and pork skewers (satay) that were seasoned and ready for the BBQ. I preferred the pork. We had left overs for lunch and appies as well.

One day we met some friends staying at the Divi for a late lunch at the restaurant (by the pool) there. We all were very pleased with our selections and the pricing wasn’t bad at all. There was a nice view and great company and before we knew it, it was 4:00!

The only time we ventured far away at night was to attend the Byblos bash – and what a great find! I would not have known about this place otherwise and certainly intend to return. Lotsan did a great job putting this event together. AMA Jewelers donated a pendant and earrings as a silent auction item to raise money for an island charity. It was for a good cause and I wanted to get the bidding started even though the particular items were not something that I would choose to wear. Long story short, I ended up with them, but knowing how island jewelers work I simply went in to the shop a few days later and exchanged them for a bracelet and earrings that are much more my style - all’s well that ends well!

[img][image]http://i1328.photobucket.com...-9cd0-91ae51390bb2_zps890dba4e.jpg[/img][/image]

For our third (part) week we moved over to Caravansari. I was a bit nervous after reading about all the “issues” they were having, but all went very well. The units are well appointed and the view is tremendous. We were in unit C300.

[img][image]http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w530/ImaPrairieGirl/View1_zps5183020f.jpg[/img][/image] [img][image]http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w530/ImaPrairieGirl/SAM_0063_zpsa76e9c45.jpg[/img][/image] [img][image]http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w530/ImaPrairieGirl/Rainbow_zps66724ed6.jpg[/img][/image]

But once again it was the staff that made our visit memorable. We were on the third floor, but other than initially lugging all our stuff up the stairs, it was not an issue. We were also on the third floor of OBBR. I like higher units, there seem to be fewer mosquitos on the balcony!

Of course I was keeping up with TTOL even while on island and I saw a post from TeresaSXM that she was also at Caravansari! A quick PM led to us planning to attend the Monday orientation session (primarily to meet each other). A great visit ensued and I even won a $40 gift certificate to Bistro Caribes for being the guest who lived the farthest away! So see, there ARE advantages to living in Saskatchewan. Hey, I could have even won it for being from the coldest place as well…..

It’s too bad that I didn’t learn that Teresa was a power walker until I read her posts once I got back – I continued on with my tradition of walking to France in the morning, but without a coffee destination in mind. I should have stopped at Puerto Cupucoy on the way back, but I left without any money! Heck, then I could have said I walked to Cuba for my coffee – Ernest and Fidel’s was right there.

Something that you may not know about our TeresaSXM is that she is a published author! Check out her new book The In-Credibilty Factor here The book tells the stories of 30 successful entrepreneurs and one of them is Pierre Ferland AKA the Head Pineapple of Pineapple Pete's! Although we didn’t see him the night we dined there, the service and food were great as always. It is nice to see employees having fun at their job!

One of the reasons that we stayed in the Maho area for our last 5 days was so that we could eat out in that general vicinity without a long drive (ok, ok and to make my annual purchase from Ravi at JN Jewellers). Supper at SkipJack’s is a tradition for us, and I can’t seem to order anything but the Ahi Tuna – it is SOOOOO good there. Another evening we visited Lal (and Todd, we had chicken frankies to start off with) for a nice casual change. Bajatzu provided a lovely meal for our 27th anniversary (complete with a festive dessert with quite the sparkler!).

Having never been to Le Moulin Fou before, and again because of good reports on TTOL, we decided to give it a try. This was hands down one of our best dining experiences of this trip! But first a word of caution, unless you want to listen to the show at Cheris (nothing wrong with that, just not my idea of a “French immersion experience”) make sure to sit inside. At first we were seated outside, but asked to move inside before our butts even hit the chairs. We were instantly whisked inside to a whole different world and one we thoroughly enjoyed for the evening. Very attentive but unobtrusive service (as good as any we have ever received when dining in Grand Case) an exquisite meal (I had the shrimp and scallops) and the dessert of the century – IF you like chocolate. It was a small molten chocolate cake with caramel sauce served on a beautifully decorated plate with both whipped cream and ice cream – and certainly enough for us to share. In fact, it was good enough to lick the plate, but I refrained (or should I say my hubby held me back….). The bottle of complimentary house infused rum is left on the table for you to help yourself and the cappuccino and espresso were excellent as well.

Since this is a French restaurant (even if on the Dutch side) we inquired about the inclusion of service. Our waiter gave us a totally straightforward answer “yes, 12% is included, and is split among us”. There was no indication that he expected anything more. He was a fabulous waiter and we left cash with our bill, but if you want to put a tip on your credit card make sure to tell them in advance so they can make that screen appear on the wireless device when they run your card.

Our last meal out was lunch at Sunset Bar and Grill where we had fun watching both the people and the planes. Fast service and great food - try their Black and Blue burger! Then it was off to return our rental car to Alain at Triple A and get dropped off at the airport. We have rented from Alain for years (found out about him from TTOL!) and as always had GREAT service.

All in all a great trip, made that much better by all the tips shared here on TTOL and a chance to see old friends and meet new.

We arrived back home to Saskatchewan for Christmas, and yes it is very cold here. But our sunsets are beautiful, here is the last one from 2013.

[img][image]http://i1328.photobucket.com...-8f80-258c17abfa88_zps762ef3cf.jpg[/img][/image]

Happy New Year everyone!

LeAnn

LeAnn

url=https://www.tickerfactory.com][Linked Image][/url]