Member Spotlight
Angelface
Angelface
Washington, DC/SXM
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Cap’n Rog, CaribbeanCanadians, sxm2001, eightzerobits, SXMScubaman, JandIrene, ChiTownHarry, jrw, RickinAtlanta, SXMbeacher, mark37, charlie, SXMBND, GeorgeC1, pl3, SeaLady29, Kennys, Kevin_B, Beansbbq, Kiles41, ColoBoater, Halcyon, Zanshin, Kathleen, bailau, SURICK, OceanSong, JerseyPal, 11 invisible), 945 guests, and 58 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The first few days #271193
12/13/2021 12:01 PM
12/13/2021 12:01 PM
Edam, Saskatchewan - Canada
P
PrairieGirl Offline OP
Traveler
PrairieGirl  Offline OP
Traveler
P
I am going to try and post a few times during our two weeks here rather than waiting until we get back. Much more likely to get done that way!

EHAS - after a somewhat tense start, all went tickety-boo afterwards. There were several folks at the airport walking up and down the arrival line reviewing and stamping your approval paperwork (print it out!) so there was no delay there. The line looked long but moved rapidly. Through Customs & Immigration in no time but had to wait a bit for our luggage.

Flights- we flew from PHX with an O/N in ATL at the Marriott AC. Delta Comfort is well worth the few extra $$ over the main cabin. AC is a nice hotel, the sky train to Gateway station makes it very convenient. Directions could be a bit better, but I just popped into the Marriott and they pointed me in the right direction.

A large cheer competition was going on at the convention center/arena in the Gateway area so the lobby was filled with excited girls of all ages from tiny to young adult greeting each other. And their moms who were also pretty excited. It made for a fun evening people watching from the bar/bistro that is located in the lobby.

Next morning flight to SXM was delayed a bit but the tailwind made up for it and we landed less than 5 minutes late. Delta was great on both legs. Very personable flight crew.

SBR - check in was smooth with friendly staff. We have been coming to the island for 25 years, but have never stayed at this property. During the process we were moved to unit 416 Beaumontia bldg so great view! Kept this resort and let LaVista Beach go because II would give us a replacement week for cancelling that reservation but nothing if we cancelled this one.

Restaurants - Sat night at Juliette’s Bistro. Good live music (soft) and the special was cheese fondue with a bottle of wine for $20. Used this as our appetizer so needless to say we didn’t finish it. Huge portion! I had mussels and my husband had octopus. Perfectly cooked. Our waitress Marinika was a gem. Attentive but not in the way and such a wonderful bubbly attitude. No service charge. $75 including tip.

Sunday - Karakter during the day. Parking situation much more organized. Good tunes. Chicken Caesar salads for lunch.

- Headed for The Palapa Grill for supper to find out it was closed. Next stopped in at The Palms, but no room due to a very large group. Since it was raining off and on, dining outside was not an option. On to Vespa Taverna which is also closed on Sundays. Ended up at SkipJack’s. Had another great waitress and the meal did not disappoint. I had the seared ahi salad and Maurice had blackened grouper. This was preceded by tuna carpaccio. 15% service charge disclosed and added. 2 drinks, bottle of wine, bottle of sparkling water, app and two meals $115 all in.

Weather - the Christmas winds have certainly arrived. Showers, often intense but not always, frequent but short lived. When I encountered one on my morning walk I was literally dancing in the rain! You need some background here - we farm and this was a drought year. Then we spend the winter in AZ. I was SO happy to see rain! And to feel it on my skin, such a nice change from the cold,dreary PNW rain I grew up with......

So far so good. Another day in paradise awaits.

LeAnn

url=https://www.tickerfactory.com][Linked Image][/url]
SXM Sponsors
Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271194
12/13/2021 12:41 PM
12/13/2021 12:41 PM
South Carolina
D
dvesc Offline
Traveler
dvesc  Offline
Traveler
D
South Carolina
I’m glad things are going well. How was the check in for Delta in Atlanta? We’re spending tomorrow night near the airport before our Wednesday morning flight.

Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271195
12/13/2021 12:57 PM
12/13/2021 12:57 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for checking in! I find it easier to post a couple of days at a time, while on island, as I just don't make the time after we get home.

Glad you were able to get something out of the snafu with the reservations. LaVista is good people, so can't be surprised at all, when they do the right thing.

What have they done with the parking at Karakter? We haven't been there lately, in part because the parking was always such a crap shoot.

Surprised some places were closed on Sunday night, especially since it's pretty much high season.

Enjoy!

Carol Hill
Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271218
12/13/2021 11:21 PM
12/13/2021 11:21 PM
P
PrairieGirl Offline OP
Traveler
PrairieGirl  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Dvesc - Check in at ATL went very smoothly. A bit of a surprise that we had to take a shuttle bus over to the International Terminal to check in. Didn’t realize ATL had 2 terminals. It’s a good thing we had allowed extra time that morning. But maybe you already knew that. The shuttle only runs every 15 minutes. Added at least 30 minutes to check in.

They will check your EHAS, vaccine card and visitors insurance card so have them handy. Plus as they read off the list they may ask you for your negative test results. Just smile and say “way at the bottom you will see that is no longer required for vaccinated travelers “.

Huge line up but it only took us a half hour to get through to an agent and we were off to security. Fairly quick as we are TSA Pre. We had allowed 2.5 hours from the hotel and we just had time for a (very) quick breakfast after security. As in the fast food joint with the shortest line. And we were boarding (Comfort+) just as we got to the gate. Our stars aligned well, but YMMV. Better to have extra time than not!

Safe travels!

LeAnn

Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271219
12/13/2021 11:26 PM
12/13/2021 11:26 PM
P
PrairieGirl Offline OP
Traveler
PrairieGirl  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Carol - don’t know how long it’s been this way at Karacter, but now there is a gate to the entrance to the parking area, some of the trees and other obstacles have been removed and there is a fellow there showing you where an open space to park is. The cars were all neatly lined up instead of being scattered helter skelter all over the place like before.

LeAnn

Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271221
12/14/2021 07:13 AM
12/14/2021 07:13 AM
Westchester /NYC
Colour1 Offline
Traveler
Colour1  Offline
Traveler
Westchester /NYC
Sounds like an ordeal to get to "our island", thank God everything went well!! Yes, the Delta comfort class is a nice upgrade. Like the "free" bloody mary's on the flight down. Yes ALT is a huge airport, been there many times. Patience is key!! Just thought I'd throw in a really nice plug for a Sunday lunch place with a great vibe, not far from SBR. Indigo restaurant and beach! Great menu, lovely staff, proper service check in not pushy with a French vibe! The view is amazing too!! Sylvia and her husband do an amazing job!!
https://www.facebook.com/indigobeachrestaurant/

Attached Files SXM Indigo beach 1021.jpg

Sand Gravity, got to love it!
Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271229
12/14/2021 09:45 AM
12/14/2021 09:45 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Prairiegirl--thanks. It does sound like an improvement.

Carol Hill
Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271278
12/15/2021 07:52 AM
12/15/2021 07:52 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline
Traveler
RonDon  Offline
Traveler
Rhode Island
Thanks for the update on Karakters parking. Past lists we've avoided the place because of the parking issue.

Re: The first few days [Re: PrairieGirl] #271297
12/15/2021 10:10 AM
12/15/2021 10:10 AM
P
PrairieGirl Offline OP
Traveler
PrairieGirl  Offline OP
Traveler
P
We were there again yesterday. Parking at 11:00 was plentiful. But the island is definitely slower this week. Maybe because of how Christmas falls this year? Or just the hassle of travel in general.....

LeAnn