Member Spotlight
RobT
RobT
Florida
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
admiralmoon, MichaelBritz
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (Todd_Melinda_K, Matt W, ndfaninnc, marisol, MrEZgoin, ericlut, GeorgeC1, Time Will Tell, ChiTownHarry, mark37, bailau, BlueJay88, nevar37, BillDauterive, pony600, Swifty, SXMNAN, johnsaw, JohnW, RatmansWife, lbksxm, Compskier, timnboston, steve74, RickG, Southshore, Halcyon, Manpot, xrayman67, Kennys, MamaB, bran, SXMScubaman, 10 invisible), 580 guests, and 115 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report Feb 10 through 12, Grand Case #275373
02/12/2022 08:15 PM
02/12/2022 08:15 PM
Virginia Beach, VA USA
B
barryvabeach Offline OP
Traveler
barryvabeach  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Virginia Beach, VA USA
What change a year brings. Last year, with all the changing covid testing hurdles and concerns, we nearly cancelled our trip, but based on many positive posts here, we came. We stay in Grand Case, and while we had a great time, it was tough to walk by the very many great restaurants at dinner time and see only one or two tables occupied. This year it is clear that allowing those with boosters to come in without testing has encouraged more guests. When we landed on Thursday afternoon, the line for customs took about an hour - we started lined up outside the building, then upstairs, and wrapped all the way down the corridor and back. Apparently we were the 5th plane. The actual review of the covid paperwork took a few seconds with people walking through the line, verify the EHAS paper, and stamping it with a green stamp, then eventually to the customs counter . If we were the first plane, not the 5th, it probably would have taken 10 or 15 minutes.

For the first night, we ate at Talk of the Town - the lolos. I had a few sticks of the shrimp and my wife had the chicken breast with red beans, both were good, and there was no problem getting a table. As we walked back down the street, the rest of the restaurants were doing well, and I even saw some people being turned away because they did not have reservations. Other friends said the same, that now you need a restaurant to be sure to get a seat.

Friday we just stayed at the beach at Grand Case, and walked to Capt Frenchy's. We sat at a table inside , which was a bit of a mistake. They had a live band on the beach that was pretty good, so the waitresses spent most of their time there. Once we were able to order, it came quickly. My wife had the salmon with leek fondue ( more of a sauce ) and it was excellent, I had their burger which is quite good.

For Saturday, we went to Orient, Orange Fever. It seemed like most if not all of the chairs had pads. Overall, that end of the beach had many dining and sunning options. It rained a few times and was only sunny for a few minutes. The Kite surfers were out in full force, but not many swimming, there was some sargassam along the beach and some in the water. I walked down to Mt. Vernon, the buildings seem to have been repaired quite well, though the pool area is still a wreck. Lunch was the Orange Fever pizza which was great. It got pretty crowded because the rain showers forced all us of to fit under the roof.

For dinner, we went to Al Dente - a first for us. We both got pasta, and while my wife's was very good - a penne with artichoke and ham, mine was a pappardelle with shrimp and mushrooms, the sauce was more of a mushroom sauce than a cream sauce. Service was very good.

Attached Files grand case.JPGcapt frenchy.jpgorange fever.JPGcapt frenchy.jpgmt vernon pool.jpgal dente.jpg
SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report Feb 10 through 12, Grand Case [Re: barryvabeach] #275374
02/12/2022 08:25 PM
02/12/2022 08:25 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
barry--Great beginning!! Nice pictures..

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report Feb 10 through 12, Grand Case [Re: barryvabeach] #275376
02/12/2022 10:25 PM
02/12/2022 10:25 PM
Massachusetts
320sycamore Offline
Traveler
320sycamore  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
great hearing the stories! keep it coming!

Re: Trip Report Feb 10 through 12, Grand Case [Re: barryvabeach] #275381
02/13/2022 06:11 AM
02/13/2022 06:11 AM
Westchester /NYC
Colour1 Offline
Traveler
Colour1  Offline
Traveler
Westchester /NYC
You see, sand gravity set in!! It was worth all the lines! I felt the first time with the paperwork we were never going to get there, and we we did, I was in shock for a couple of days!! Thanks for sharing your photo's and dinning experiences! praying for good weather here on out for you!! PS, try Kontiki, lunch was amazing there the last few times!!

Sand Gravity, got to love it!