pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (anet_scot, camview, WWII, MrEZgoin, Good Boy Gus, cabokid, Whale Tail, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, luvtotravel, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, 6 invisible), 921 guests, and 66 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
St Lucia to Grenada sailing trip - doable in a week? #276909
03/01/2022 10:54 PM
03/01/2022 10:54 PM
Houston, TX
Matt W Offline OP
Traveler
Matt W  Offline OP
Traveler
Houston, TX
Hey ya'll! Considering a guys sailing trip this year to the Windwards. We all have young families, work obligations, so can only afford 9-10 days max including travel, so 7-8 days on the water.

Is it crazy to attempt a one way from St Lucia to Grenada with this short amount of time? I know we'll miss out on some highlights in between, but that's OK to me. This would be our first time to the Windwards, and we don't need to see everything on the first trip. We also love fishing and spending long days on the water.

I'm more concerned about potential weather/maintenance disruptions, and needing everything to go mostly according to plan when covering that amount of distance. We would go plan to go in May or November.

What does everyone think? Thanks in advance!

Sponsors
Re: St Lucia to Grenada sailing trip - doable in a week? [Re: Matt W] #276913
03/02/2022 03:49 AM
03/02/2022 03:49 AM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
Not Ideal but easily do-able if you are experienced. Clear out at Rodney or Marigot Bay (I presume your charter is starting at one of those). First day down to the Pitons if you have time. Overnight there, up early for departure at first light aiming for Blue Lagoon St Vincent to clear in. If things go well and time allows you can carry on to Bequia instead of Blue Lagoon. After that just take your time and enjoy SVG.

Of course if you are happy doing an overnight you can just head straight out from your starting location and head to Bequia. All the nicest places are Bequia and further south (in my opinion) so you might as well get there asap.

Should say I went up and down the island chain from BVI to Grenada many times and lived aboard in the Caribbean for a couple of years. It was a few years ago though.

Re: St Lucia to Grenada sailing trip - doable in a week? [Re: Jeannius] #276962
03/02/2022 01:06 PM
03/02/2022 01:06 PM
Houston, TX
Matt W Offline OP
Traveler
Matt W  Offline OP
Traveler
Houston, TX
Originally Posted by Jeannius
Not Ideal but easily do-able if you are experienced. Clear out at Rodney or Marigot Bay (I presume your charter is starting at one of those). First day down to the Pitons if you have time. Overnight there, up early for departure at first light aiming for Blue Lagoon St Vincent to clear in. If things go well and time allows you can carry on to Bequia instead of Blue Lagoon. After that just take your time and enjoy SVG.

Of course if you are happy doing an overnight you can just head straight out from your starting location and head to Bequia. All the nicest places are Bequia and further south (in my opinion) so you might as well get there asap.

Should say I went up and down the island chain from BVI to Grenada many times and lived aboard in the Caribbean for a couple of years. It was a few years ago though.

Great, thanks for the feedback Jeannius.

Re: St Lucia to Grenada sailing trip - doable in a week? [Re: Matt W] #277327
03/07/2022 12:10 PM
03/07/2022 12:10 PM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline
Traveler
S
Keep in mind as things stand now you will have to be tested for covid to enter SVG and again to enter Grenada. We use a nurse that comes to the marina, your hotel or villa in St. Lucia with results ready in the evening if you test in the morning, cost $130 US. On Union island there is another nurse that will do the PCR testing, results available in evening for $60 US.
The testing timeline may impact your schedule. I'll try to get the contact info for the nurses and post them here but it might be a few days and the requirements are always subject to change.

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva