Member Spotlight
Thistle
Thistle
NY
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
shellyb
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (JenniferSC, xrayman67, CaribbeanCanadians, Matt W, SXMBND, casailor53, nevar37, 706jim, JerseyPal, Fletch, CJIMI, Zanshin, Ackman, DannynGinger, Swifty, TravelHat, AlanB, jagmansr, Kennys, lbksxm, Tom, KirkB, Todd, road3682, 9 invisible), 811 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Saturday March 12 #277721
03/13/2022 07:10 AM
03/13/2022 07:10 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline OP
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline OP
Traveler
Ohio
As stated yesterday, more rain and wind but it did clear but the wind stayed. I got to Mullet Bay around 9:45 and was able to get front row, $10 for a single, unlike the other day when I went. Very step beach entry but pretty calm waters with the occasional big swell. As the wind died down the waves actually got stronger. It was moderately busy with 2 rows of loungers packed tightly together. I met some people who were beside me that said they recognized me from past visits to Mullet. The one guy said he reads TTOL daily but does not post but his wife does on occasion. He has been visiting since 1995 and the other couple for about 5 years now. It was nice chatting with them. I had a hot dog (my one for the year) at Rosie's and enjoyed several swims/floats on the water. No big organized tours today to Mullet and there were only a couple on my last visit and they created no problems or noise at all.

I was hungry for a burger so about 2:00 I headed to Bar Code. The parking lot was full but only one table occupied. I had my burger, served by a new server (3 days on the job) who did a good job but was clueless when it came to making a drink other than water or soda. The owner had to make any drink but she seemed intent on learning. No SC added to the bill.

Back to Atrium for a little down time and then Lee's for HH. Their HH has to be one of the best on the island. No frozen or top shelf but it appears other drinks (not sure on beer) is half price from 2-7 every day they are open. Friday night a Dewars and water was $3 during HH, last night it was $2.50 during HH, not sure why the slight difference but that is cheap! Lees was not as busy as in past days but it was early and being Saturday, it is a big turnover day for timeshare owners

Bill and Mort met me and we walked to SMYC to meet up with Gretchen and Sheila, both long time visitors to the island and friends we have made over the years from TTOL. Still no Brian LeBlanc sighting but we did enjoy a nice visit and conversation. The bar was busy and the restaurant about half full.

Bill and Mort were doing leftovers for dinner and then going to BBB for their entertainment. On a whim, I decided pasta sounded good and dove to Izi. We have known Davide since his days owning LaGondola and have enjoyed several meals at Izi. To my surprise, the outdoor dining was about half full and only one table occupied inside. I initially sat at the bar and chatted with Davide some. He was not pleased with the lack of business and said it has been very spotty. Packed one night and very slow the next. He then moved me to a table by a window, probably for the appearance of passersby's to make the place look busy. The other table of 4 was seated at a window table at the opposite end. I had my pasta fix, some wine and dessert, all very good and like I expected. Some leftover pasta as well. I am not a big eater at home so my consumption of food on this day was much more than usual. 15% SC added to the bill. Outside seating was full when I left but nothing inside.

No rain overnight and clear with slightly less wind to start Sunday. Temperatures in the teens at home and snow from Friday is still on the ground

Attached Files snow.jpg

J.D.
SXM Sponsors
Re: Saturday March 12 [Re: ruralcarrier] #277726
03/13/2022 07:45 AM
03/13/2022 07:45 AM
Westchester /NYC
Colour1 Offline
Traveler
Colour1  Offline
Traveler
Westchester /NYC
Next time for your spaghetti fix, try The spaghetti house in Jordon village! REALLY good!! Beer/wine only. Service is good and the woman that owns it is so nice!! https://www.facebook.com/SpaghettiHouseSXM

Sand Gravity, got to love it!
Re: Saturday March 12 [Re: ruralcarrier] #277729
03/13/2022 09:08 AM
03/13/2022 09:08 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report. Glad you have been able to meet up with old friends, both from the island and from the states. I figured you would end up at Izi at least one night! Saturday nights often seem to be pretty quiet on the restaurant scene, as you said, with timeshare turnover. And some restaurants in Grand Case close on Saturday nights, at least off season. Weather has been really off, but glad you have been able to get in beach time regardless.

That picture from Ohio kind of puts things in perspective, huh? We had another front go through here last night and I had to cover up some plants again. Hopefully the last time!

Carol Hill
Re: Saturday March 12 [Re: Carol_Hill] #277731
03/13/2022 09:47 AM
03/13/2022 09:47 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline OP
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline OP
Traveler
Ohio
Izi has changed their menu, downsized it and no more of the pick your pasta, pick your sauce deal. My favorite was still on the menu, tortellini al funghi was as good as ever. I was told by a former server that business overall has not been that good there. Davide did seem rather perplexed by the slowness last night.

Supposed to warm up at home but it was a nasty few days.

J.D.
Re: Saturday March 12 [Re: ruralcarrier] #277732
03/13/2022 10:23 AM
03/13/2022 10:23 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Huh. That has kind of been their standard menu I think almost since they opened at that location. Overall, I always thought La Gondola was better. But I don't often eat Italian on island, so don't have that big of a sample size to go from.

Carol Hill
Re: Saturday March 12 [Re: ruralcarrier] #277736
03/13/2022 11:06 AM
03/13/2022 11:06 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
We went to Izi once or twice and I didn’t realize they used to own LaGondola. My bad but I rarely pay attention to who owns what or works where unless there’s a good reason to do so rather than just for the sake of ‘knowing’ ….. with regard to the restaurant itself, we thought it was good but way too noisy with tables that were too close. So close, in fact, we spent half our dinner time quietly chatting with the couple at the next table. It was nice meeting them but………

For us, Italian on the island is not our usual first choice but if we decide on it we usually do The Spaghetti House in Jordan Village. The food, portions, pricing and service are very good and they will alter things to suit your individual tastes plus you can sit out in the open air and enjoy the music coming from Fat Tony’s across the street and still hear yourself think. Works for us…..🙂🙂

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Saturday March 12 [Re: ruralcarrier] #277737
03/13/2022 11:37 AM
03/13/2022 11:37 AM
Yonkers, NY
fabila Offline
Traveler
fabila  Offline
Traveler
Yonkers, NY
Have to laugh re: Brian. We tried to meet up last year during both or Spring & Fall trips. We always just missed him. Didn’t matter if we went for breakfast, lunch or during HH. My husband and him connect through social media so we tried but didn’t happen.