This was our second trip to Bequia and our second stay at Tranquility Villa in Moonhole. We stayed there last May for 8 nights, we had such a great time we decided to try it again for 2 weeks! There are 4 of us, 2 couples that have been traveling together for many years.

We flew out of BWI to Miami and then on to Barbados on American, had a couple of hours in Barbados at the airport waiting for our SVG flight to Bequia. We took advantage of this time to have a few drinks at the bar and also to pick up a few bottles of our favs at the duty free shop! SVG flight was on time and direct to Bequia (sometimes they stop at other islands en route).

Our taxi driver, Brendon was there as soon as we exited the terminal, I think they remembered us from last year! We were driven to Moonhole entrance where we were met by Harry, our cook’s husband, he carried all of our baggage up the trail to Tranquility Villa where Doro was there waiting for us with open arms! It was like a joyous homecoming! Hugs all around! And then we smelled our welcome dinner……..LOBSTER!!! There is nothing much better than fresh caught lobster prepared by what must be one of the best cooks on the island! Not to mention the homemade coconut cream pie!! I won’t give a blow by blow account of every day but the highlights were Doro’s cooking. She came in every morning and prepared our breakfast, eggs, french toast, pancakes, omelets, sometimes made with leftover lobster! We always had fresh fruit and Doro’s homemade bread with local guava jelly! So much for the diet!! I’m sure I gained weight, I haven’t had the nerve to get on scale since our return. For lunch we had homemade vegetable soup, callaloo soup with lobster of course! And conch fritters, made with leftover conch from stewed or curried conch from dinner. Are you getting the hint that we were very well fed? Oh, I forgot to mention the orange soufflé, we had that twice it was so good.

Some days we never left the villa it was so relaxing we just couldn’t tear ourselves away. We did a power boat trip with Fantasea Tours to the Tabago cays for snorkeling and then went to Mayreau, Saltwhistle Bay for lunch and drinks, this was trip we took last year also and one that I highly recommend. We also took a day trip with a guy called African, on his catamaran to Mustique, we had lunch and drinks at Basil’s bar. The trip was great, the food was good, African was a great host and captain. We did an island tour with our driver Brendon who was very knowledgeable about everything on the island, he took us to Firefly Plantation where we took a plantation tour and were able to sample several of the fruits that are grown there. We went to Sugar Reef Hotel for lunch which was very good, we also went back to Sugar Reef for dinner one night.

Funny story about dinner, our friends were paying for dinner and there was a problem with the credit card going through so the owner, Emmit was called to assist, long story short they ended up paying cash…..fast forward to the day we were leaving, we were in the airport, waiting for our flight and one of the security guards came in looking for the person that had been to Sugar Reef, the other folks that were there waiting for the same flight had stayed at Sugar Reef and one of them went out to see what was up. He came back and pointed to me saying, he wants you. When I went out it was Emmit and he had an envelope with cash in it saying that the credit card charge had gone through and he wanted to return the cash that out friends had paid! Where else are you going to get that service?

So anyway on with the story, we had lunch at Mac’s Pizza that was really good, dinner at Bequia Beach Hotel was really good, all the rest of our meals were at the villa. I always love all the fresh produce that is available in town, so unlike other places we have been, fruit, veggies, eggs, etc. I will end this by saying that the people of Bequia are wonderfully friendly and always have a smile on their face.

Tranquility villa and Moonhole are something like no other place I have ever been. You have to hike in to the villa on a stone path up from the beach area, it takes about 7 minutes, all up hill. It is well worth it! The villa is beautiful! All made from local stone, great sitting and lounging areas. Wonderful patios large bedrooms all with private baths open to the outdoors. The master bedroom patio is fabulous, especially at night for stargazing! The pool is lovely and overlooking the water below. We enjoyed being in the pool watching for the afternoon SVG flight coming in!

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and this one did. Our flight from Bequia to Barbados was on time and was an Air Mustique plane, a 4 seater, plush! It was a great flight. The flight from Barbados to Miami….. not so great. We boarded and sat on the plane for 3 hours! After the issue was repaired we took off for Miami and when we landed, there was another plane at our gate so again we waited. Needless to say we missed our connecting flight to BWI and AA had to put us up at the Holiday Inn to wait for our flight the next day at 2 pm. Oh well, what can you do? It makes for a good story, right? It was a GREAT trip and we hope to do it again soon.