pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Todd_Melinda_K, marybeth, mark37, Fitzhughlaw, Todd, BaardJ, 3 invisible), 751 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? #286626
07/26/2022 09:46 AM
07/26/2022 09:46 AM
Larkspur, Colorado
Vern_L_Equinox Offline OP
Traveler
Vern_L_Equinox  Offline OP
Traveler
Larkspur, Colorado
Bareboating with TMM in December ... very happy to read the glowing report on them in another post. They're simply great folks to deal with.

12th trip to the BVI and was thinking about expanding our horizons and crossing into the USVI for a couple of days. Anyone who's sailed both the BVI and USVI have any must-see stops if you were going to spend two nights in the USVI? Leaving Tortola we'll do the usual counter-clockwise route and plan on heading into US waters after a night at Jost Van Dyke. Thoughts? Even if it's to steer me to a previous post/itinerary. Thank you all in advance!

(Moderators, forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum ... but my question is prefaced by starting in the BVI. ;^)

Larry & Carolann
Doing our part to revive the BVI economy ... one Painkiller at a time!
[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Vern_L_Equinox] #286635
07/26/2022 12:07 PM
07/26/2022 12:07 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Originally Posted by Vern_L_Equinox
Bareboating with TMM in December ... very happy to read the glowing report on them in another post. They're simply great folks to deal with.

12th trip to the BVI and was thinking about expanding our horizons and crossing into the USVI for a couple of days. Anyone who's sailed both the BVI and USVI have any must-see stops if you were going to spend two nights in the USVI? Leaving Tortola we'll do the usual counter-clockwise route and plan on heading into US waters after a night at Jost Van Dyke. Thoughts? Even if it's to steer me to a previous post/itinerary. Thank you all in advance!

(Moderators, forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum ... but my question is prefaced by starting in the BVI. ;^)

I understand that this can be done on charter boats. Just go over the process with TMM Base staff and make sure you have all of the boat documents with you (especially clearing back into BVI. They will want to see that you have paid NP permit fees) and still some other charges. In St John, easy to anchor (beside the channel ) and Dingy into the Maritime Museum dock and walk to Customs. . IF Boat has ROAM app, and you are all US Citizens, you can use this and usually not have to report to Customs in person.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Vern_L_Equinox] #286636
07/26/2022 12:21 PM
07/26/2022 12:21 PM
R
Rush Offline
Traveler
Rush  Offline
Traveler
R
Assume you should be able to check in via ROAM, but confirm before. I would stop at Waterlemon Cay for a snorkel, then hit Maho for lunch. Head over to Honeymoon/Caneel/Scott for the afternoon and evening and take the long dinghy ride to Cruz Bay for dinner/shopping. Then go to the south side the next day for a quiet day/night. Stay at Salt Pond and hike Ram Head or at Great or Little Lamshur (hiking options here as well). Both have good snorkeling options and beaches, but nothing else. Much more secluded. Then the next morning you could head around the east side of the island (could go to Coral Bay/Lime Out), and head up to West End to check back in. All of this is ambitious for a couple of nights, however.

Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Rush] #286638
07/26/2022 12:37 PM
07/26/2022 12:37 PM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
I agree with Rush but would have dinner at Zozo's (Caneel property) instead of heading into Cruz Bay for dinner. Had dinner at Zozo's in 2021 and it was fabulous. Little Lameshur is our favorite St. John overnight. Usually blissfully quiet. Lime Out is not worth the chaos that is around it. BVI has much better options.

Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Vern_L_Equinox] #286651
07/26/2022 03:28 PM
07/26/2022 03:28 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
I am not 100% that you will be allowed to clear out and back in. I would check carefully before making plans. If you can do it then go for it. It’s a great side trip!
G

Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Deepcut] #286667
07/26/2022 06:57 PM
07/26/2022 06:57 PM
Larkspur, Colorado
Traveler
Traveler
Larkspur, Colorado
Originally Posted by Deepcut
I understand that this can be done on charter boats. Just go over the process with TMM Base staff and make sure you have all of the boat documents with you (especially clearing back into BVI. They will want to see that you have paid NP permit fees) and still some other charges. In St John, easy to anchor (beside the channel ) and Dingy into the Maritime Museum dock and walk to Customs. . IF Boat has ROAM app, and you are all US Citizens, you can use this and usually not have to report to Customs in person.

Wes ... if Sea Tiger is your boat, that's the TMM Lagoon Cat that we're chartering! I will confirm with the TMM staff that I'm following all the rules and have my documentation in order. I was hoping to use the ROAM App and bypass the Customs visit as you mentioned.

Larry & Carolann
[Linked Image]
Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Rush] #286669
07/26/2022 07:06 PM
07/26/2022 07:06 PM
Larkspur, Colorado
Traveler
Traveler
Larkspur, Colorado
Originally Posted by Rush
Assume you should be able to check in via ROAM, but confirm before. I would stop at Waterlemon Cay for a snorkel, then hit Maho for lunch. Head over to Honeymoon/Caneel/Scott for the afternoon and evening and take the long dinghy ride to Cruz Bay for dinner/shopping. Then go to the south side the next day for a quiet day/night. Stay at Salt Pond and hike Ram Head or at Great or Little Lamshur (hiking options here as well). Both have good snorkeling options and beaches, but nothing else. Much more secluded. Then the next morning you could head around the east side of the island (could go to Coral Bay/Lime Out), and head up to West End to check back in. All of this is ambitious for a couple of nights, however.

Much appreciated, Rush ... a great starting point to start us thinking.

Larry & Carolann
[Linked Image]
Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: MIDiver] #286670
07/26/2022 07:08 PM
07/26/2022 07:08 PM
Larkspur, Colorado
Traveler
Traveler
Larkspur, Colorado
Originally Posted by MIDiver
I agree with Rush but would have dinner at Zozo's (Caneel property) instead of heading into Cruz Bay for dinner. Had dinner at Zozo's in 2021 and it was fabulous. Little Lameshur is our favorite St. John overnight. Usually blissfully quiet. Lime Out is not worth the chaos that is around it. BVI has much better options.

Great thoughts to consider ... thanks, MIDiver.

Larry & Carolann
[Linked Image]
Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: GeorgeC1] #286671
07/26/2022 07:10 PM
07/26/2022 07:10 PM
Larkspur, Colorado
Traveler
Traveler
Larkspur, Colorado
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I am not 100% that you will be allowed to clear out and back in. I would check carefully before making plans. If you can do it then go for it. It’s a great side trip!
G

We'll definitely ensure everything is do-able before venturing out ... thanks, George.

Larry & Carolann
[Linked Image]
Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Vern_L_Equinox] #287012
08/05/2022 03:05 PM
08/05/2022 03:05 PM
New Orleans
B
BSer Offline
Traveler
BSer  Offline
Traveler
B
New Orleans
I got the ROAM App on my phone and registered, but I called U.S.Customs before my trip, and they said it was not currently in service, this was back in early June. Things may have changed, but I was told it would not save me a trip in to the Customs office. YMMV

Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Vern_L_Equinox] #287022
08/06/2022 12:57 PM
08/06/2022 12:57 PM
St. John, USVI
RickG Offline
Traveler
RickG  Offline
Traveler
St. John, USVI
ROAM is in service, but the boat must have a DTOPS sticker. Otherwise, you need to check in. Cruz Bay is the easiest. You can anchor in the creek for up to 3 hours in 6-feet, or grab a ball at Lindt Point or Caneel Bay, and dinghy to the National Park dock. Customs is a short walk. You are not required to clear out of the US. Cruz Bay is one of my favorite walkable Caribbean port towns - lots of restaurants and bars.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada
Re: USVI Side-Trip; Recommendations? [Re: Vern_L_Equinox] #287036
08/07/2022 05:18 AM
08/07/2022 05:18 AM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Originally Posted by Vern_L_Equinox
Originally Posted by Deepcut

Wes ... if Sea Tiger is your boat, that's the TMM Lagoon Cat that we're chartering! I will confirm with the TMM staff that I'm following all the rules and have my documentation in order. I was hoping to use the ROAM App and bypass the Customs visit as you mentioned.

Larry and Carolann,

Great to hear you will be on Sea Tiger.
Sea Tiger is registered ROAM (sticker being mailed to me, but rules are once ordered online, then order number can be used until sticker arrives).

Roam worked for us this trip. Small hiccup as it was continuously saying "pending review" and this continued until next morning. I finally was able to reach Cruz Bay CBP and they commented it must have stayed in que overnight because sent close to closing time (you must be in USVI waters and "close enough" (which is probably a boundary drawn internally on their app). Nevertheless, CBP officer asked a couple of questions and said I should receive my clearance within 20 minutes (received it 5 minutes later).

Clearing out of BVI and clearing back in is the hassle. JVD C&I just reopened which is generally better than West End and RT. (Currently Immigrations only open certain days at JVD). Take Boat Book with you as one item they may want to see is the Cruising permit, or you could be required to pay again. It also has all documents such as BVI registration.

Most important is to discuss your plans with base staff (Marc, Tim , Rory). I believe charter clients have resumed doing this.

Contact me directly if you have questions during your trip.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com