Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ejb8910, periwinkle, SANFILIP
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Jeannius, jazzgal, 2 invisible), 920 guests, and 153 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report part 7 #293565
01/08/2023 04:03 AM
01/08/2023 04:03 AM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
It’s been a while since my last report, but we’re still here, enjoying life, but eating less. We switched bakeries as Le Bounty was running out of farm baguettes too often and we now go to L’ Express in Hope Estate. Great baguettes and croissants, but, damn, they were out of croissants Monday through Friday!! Supply issue. To me, this is like a bar not having beer! Anyway, their baguettes alone are enough to start my day on proper footing.

NYE was at La Villa, a place we haven’t been to for a while where I also rediscovered an appreciation for salads. I lost my appetite after the salad, through no fault of the restaurant—just the cumulative effects of gluttony—and so the cats had a nice meal of sea bass. And once again, we failed to celebrate the arrival of the New Year until the following morning. Maybe next year.

New Year's dinner was at Ocean 82 and was an overall disappointment. Very crowded, but it was a holiday, so I can understand and accept that as they had staffed up for it. We had 7 different people work our table, so they had plenty of staff, but the service delivery seemed hit-or-miss. Mrs. Cruzer’s risotto with porcini had to be sent back as one side of the meal was cold and the other, warm, while the bowl itself was very hot. At least they comped that dish. My scallops with smoked duck and foie gras sauce was bland, but that could just be me. We did have a nice dessert to send us home for a nice sleep and we did have an ocean side table, so the view alleviated some of the meals’ disappointments. Also, we filled up our “passport” so received a bottle of infused rum.

Le Taitu is almost a weekly lunch stop for us, Mrs. C. having the beef stew and I, the veal stew. We also filled up our 10-punch card, so one of the meals was free. It only took us 3 trips to the island this year to accomplish this feat

We invited the Phillips family out to dinner at Yvettes and caught up on their activities. When Mrs. C called out “Carl” I had to remind her to be more specific as there were 3 Carls at the table. It sounds like Carl is making progress towards repairing his restaurant, mostly in the kitchen for now, but it still looks to be a ways off to me. Oh, my meal was conch Yvette as an app, followed by shared goat stew. Excellent.

My go to beer is Presidente. I had a Carib when one place was out, and decided it wasn’t tasty enough for me anymore so that is now off my list. As a matter of principle, I don’t drink Heinekin as they offer 250ml for the same price as other brands’ 355ml. Picky, picky, picky.

We cancelled our Spiga reservation due to lack of appetite and will have to catch them next trip. Saturday was a repeat of Be Kool, Mrs. C having the duck carpaccio and I the goat cheese salad and tenderloin. I finally got my steak fix in.

We are now at the point of repeating our favorites for the tail end of our trip, with Bistrot Caraibes, Le Bistronome, Le Taitu, and Le Chamapgne (with Pinot Blanc) ahead of us. I have to watch my food intake to maintain a good appetite for these places. Both of us are scheduled for a massage this morning with Patty Healing Hand so I’m sure a nap is in store for each of us.

Earlier in the trip, we had a feline interloper that was tormenting and terrorizing the 3 resident cats, so they were scarce the first week. That cat is now relocated, and the residents are living the life they were meant to enjoy, and we can enjoy them—even if it is solely to refill their kibble bowl. One in particular, Picasso, a feral cat who’s been here 10 years has been especially friendly, laying out on our patio on occasion. We dare not touch her, and hope that maybe this year we can pet her. Ok, that ain’t gonna happen but we can dream, can’t we? For us, the cats are an integral part of the ambience here at GCBC.

Attached Files IMG_1051.jpgIMG_1047.jpgIMG_1006.jpgIMG_0972 (1).jpgIMG_1042.jpgIMG_1038.jpgIMG_1007.jpgIMG_1002.jpgIMG_0992.jpgIMG_0985.jpgIMG_0982 (1).jpg
SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report part 7 [Re: cruzer] #293571
01/08/2023 09:26 AM
01/08/2023 09:26 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the continuing reports and pictures. I'm surprised it has taken you this long to get burnt out on French food! My wallet would have been burnt out a while ago! What is that rather ugly bird in the picture?

Do you have any info on the rebuilding of Calmos Cafe?

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report part 7 [Re: cruzer] #293575
01/08/2023 11:40 AM
01/08/2023 11:40 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Nice report and pictures.

Re: Trip Report part 7 [Re: Carol_Hill] #293588
01/08/2023 05:04 PM
01/08/2023 05:04 PM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
If the ugly bird has a red head, that's a muscovy duck. Otherwise, the one with the fish in his mouth--I haven't a clue.

I'll see if I can check out Calmos on our way into town tonight, but no promises.

Re: Trip Report part 7 [Re: cruzer] #293589
01/08/2023 06:22 PM
01/08/2023 06:22 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Yes, I was talking about the one with the red head. Thanks.

Carol Hill