Member Spotlight
jmon
jmon
42.99N 76.46W
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ejb8910, periwinkle, SANFILIP
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (SteveH, 1 invisible), 817 guests, and 182 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Week 2 #304552
07/26/2023 06:25 PM
07/26/2023 06:25 PM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
As we head into the last half of our trip, I’m very pleased with my ability to do as little as possible and still enjoy myself guiltlessly. Yesterday, we had nice rains, torrential at times, and enough to cancel the Guest Mixer along with my free dinner plans, so I had some Brie de Meaux and aged goat gouda instead, accompanied by 2 glasses of Baileys.

Sunsets are rare, and colorful sunrises rarer still. The water is perfect around 85 on the Grand Case beach side of the resort. Pool may become a hot tub in a month or so. I spend plenty of time in the water, so that occupies a lot of time.

Friday was Fete Victor Schoelcher in Grand Case with a parade in the morning, events all day long, music in the evening, topped off by a fireworks display that I slept through. At least we saw the parade. They were having electric issues, so we couldn’t get any ice cream/gelato and so I suffered in silence. Schoelcher was a noted French abolitionist who also advocated for ending slavery in the FWIs, so it is a big day for locals.

We manage to eat at different places every day, other than when we’re especially lazy and eat on site at Sunset Café. Last week’s main meals were at Le Champagne, Sunset Café (for the Bouchot mussels), Villa Royale, Nice, Ital’s, and Fleur de Sel.

Our favorite beef carpaccio is at Le Champagne, and we always call ahead to have a chilled bottle of Pinot Blanc waiting for us for lunch. And it’s always good to talk to Sylvain again. Nice makes a wonderful duck confit lasagna that reminds me more of an especially tasty enchilada They also make Mrs. C’s 2nd favorite beef carpaccio. Ital’s is always a welcome, healthy break from the rest of our meals and demonstrates that vegan can be tasty and filling.

Mrs. Cruzer has failed in her quest for Beef Bourguignon. She couldn’t get it at Le Taitu, Bistro Nu, or Le Champagne. Nor did she get it at Fleur de Sel either. Maybe I’ll make some when we return home. I really did enjoy Fleur de Sel, which is best described as a working-class lunch spot (and also describes Le Taitu and Cool Heure). Mrs. C had the pasta Bolognese, I had the Tuna Carpaccio, and we split a calamari entrée. The is now a must-go-to lunch for us.

Whenever we do Ital’s we also hit Philipsburg. My shopping needs are minimal, but I needed a fisherman’s long-sleeved shirt that one can wear in the water to protect against burn. Got one. Oh, the clothing/gift shops are now offering drinks. Maybe some will start doing tapas too.

Also stopped and picked up 2 Liters of Baileys Irish Cream for the special price of $25, and talked with Vince at Royal Jewelers, enjoying a bourbon and no damage to my credit card balance. We also stopped by Arrowroot Farm in Defiance picking up some fresh salad greens, onions, and radishes as well as herbs for Bush Tea. Finding and buying certain local grown foods isn’t easy on this island.

Life continues in the slow lane, with today’s major activity being using the on-site laundry machines.

Attached Files IMG_1278.jpgIMG_1283.jpgIMG_1290.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1301.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1317.jpgIMG_1321.jpgIMG_1323.jpgIMG_1337.jpgIMG_1342.jpgIMG_1343.jpgIMG_1347.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1353.jpg
SXM Sponsors
Re: Week 2 [Re: cruzer] #304553
07/26/2023 07:36 PM
07/26/2023 07:36 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report and the pictures! I think you have a couple more weeks yet?? Enjoy!

Carol Hill