Member Spotlight
jandj
jandj
Colorado
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Oceanwaves22, redroses27
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Lionsail, GeorgeC1, Manpot, sunmantwo, 706jim, 1 invisible), 868 guests, and 139 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Water taxi from Tortola to JVD #304983
08/10/2023 09:51 AM
08/10/2023 09:51 AM
JCarver27 Offline OP
Traveler
JCarver27  Offline OP
Traveler
This trip isn't happening for a while, but I'll be on a cruise that stops in Tortola in 2024. I was wondering if there was an affordable option to get from Tortola to JVD in the morning, then picked up in the evening. There is an excursion through the boat, but I hate being time limited like that. I've found some services that are basically renting a boat and captain for the day......but I'm just looking for a ride over and a ride back for 7 people, no frills in between. Does anybody know of a small time water taxi-ish company like that?

O-H!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #304984
08/10/2023 10:02 AM
08/10/2023 10:02 AM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
There is a ferry from West End to JVD. Add on round trip taxi to West End.

I doubt a water taxi both ways for seven (two round-trips for boat operator) will be much cheaper than a private day excursion. All commercial (for hire) boats need trade licenses, insurance, etc., so their costs are high. They also expect a tip.

If cost is your driver, buy round-trip ferry tickets to VG and rent a car.

Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: RatmansWife] #304985
08/10/2023 11:03 AM
08/10/2023 11:03 AM
JCarver27 Offline OP
Traveler
JCarver27  Offline OP
Traveler
Originally Posted by RatmansWife

I doubt a water taxi both ways for seven (two round-trips for boat operator) will be much cheaper than a private day excursion. All commercial (for hire) boats need trade licenses, insurance, etc., so their costs are high. They also expect a tip.

Thanks!

Cost isn't the main driver.....I just don't need all the extras like rum punch on board and a captain who feels the need to entertain. I guess the main driver would be the ability of getting to and from on our time table vs the cruise line or the ferry's. I'm spoiled laugh

Do you have a favorite water taxi company?

O-H!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #305005
08/11/2023 11:19 AM
08/11/2023 11:19 AM
Finger Lake Region
crmoores Offline
Traveler
crmoores  Offline
Traveler
Finger Lake Region
In a previous post I had commented on getting a boat ride from CGB to JVD years ago and being dropped at White Bay in the morning and picked up in Great Harbor that evening. I had suggested the OP pose that question here to see if that was an option today. Mal you also commented on that post about doing that back in the day…I’m still trying to remember the guys name that ran the water sports outfit in CGB then…I had read a few years back of another small outfit or guy providing that but apparently that didn’t last long if it was in fact true…

But it’s too bad it’s not an option today…

"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you.”
-Anthony Bourdain
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #305007
08/11/2023 11:24 AM
08/11/2023 11:24 AM
Finger Lake Region
crmoores Offline
Traveler
crmoores  Offline
Traveler
Finger Lake Region
Originally Posted by JCarver27

Thanks!

Cost isn't the main driver.....I just don't need all the extras like rum punch on board and a captain who feels the need to entertain. I guess the main driver would be the ability of getting to and from on our time table vs the cruise line or the ferry's. I'm spoiled laugh

Do you have a favorite water taxi company?

There is a private charter option but that’s pricey…Sunshine Powerboats with Captain Malcolm is one…

"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you.”
-Anthony Bourdain
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #305008
08/11/2023 12:17 PM
08/11/2023 12:17 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
We have hired day boats when we wanted to go further than we like to take our own boats. We barely touched their refreshments and there was no entertainment.

One advantage of the cruise excursions is the ship won't leave without you.

Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: RatmansWife] #305009
08/11/2023 12:44 PM
08/11/2023 12:44 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!

If you decide to do your own thing, make sure you allow ample time to get back to the ship. And possibly have a backup plan in place.

Carol Hill
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #305027
08/12/2023 10:33 AM
08/12/2023 10:33 AM
Finger Lake Region
crmoores Offline
Traveler
crmoores  Offline
Traveler
Finger Lake Region
J, when we’ve wanted to choose a non-cruise line excursion to have more time, and an outfit like Sunshine Power Boats was available, we’d look for folks with a similar desire on our Roll Call forum to share the cost. I’d also post our port date on the Tortola Cruise Critic forum...
Nothing beats a private charter, and it can be affordable doing it that way. Depending on your time in port, you could enjoy plenty of time on JVD plus stop at the B-Line on Little Jost or another spot…
Just a thought!

-Anthony Bourdain
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: RatmansWife] #305158
08/17/2023 08:13 AM
08/17/2023 08:13 AM
JCarver27 Offline OP
Traveler
JCarver27  Offline OP
Traveler
We have hired day boats when we wanted to go further than we like to take our own boats. We barely touched their refreshments and there was no entertainment.

Would that be so bad? laugh

O-H!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #305160
08/17/2023 10:06 AM
08/17/2023 10:06 AM
Michigan
SoakInSaltwater Offline
Traveler
SoakInSaltwater  Offline
Traveler
Michigan
If you choose to forgo the cruise excursion be sure to carry your passport and essential docs with you. I sat at a St Thomas hotel bar with a gentleman whose ship sailed away without him. The rest of his party was on board, he had no ID so was stuck until he could make some arrangement to fly.

Norma
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: SoakInSaltwater] #305162
08/17/2023 11:02 AM
08/17/2023 11:02 AM
Finger Lake Region
crmoores Offline
Traveler
crmoores  Offline
Traveler
Finger Lake Region
Just an aside to that topic…
So many posts on the cruise forums and Facebook forums from inexperienced travelers stating that if anyone is not BOB at time of sailing, the ship staff goes to the passenger’s cabin, searches the room and safe for their passport(s), and delivers them to the port authority as the ship is departing…
I think they are dreaming…or perhaps that happens sometimes, or only for those on the cruise line excursions.Unfortunately newer cruisers rely on this “information”…
We’ve read of passengers being left with no original passport (just a photocopy or e-copy as folks think that is all they need), and having to stay in that destination until they can get help to get home. Those who carry their passport can get a flight to the next port of course.

Last edited by crmoores; 08/17/2023 11:12 AM.

-Anthony Bourdain
Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #305395
08/24/2023 03:20 PM
08/24/2023 03:20 PM
South Florida
F
FrozMargNoSalt Offline
Traveler
FrozMargNoSalt  Offline
Traveler
F
South Florida
JCarver27: We've had a half dozen or so trips to the BVI's, mainly land based, over the last 10 years. We've spent many a relaxing days on JVD. A few months back, we were apparently in the mood to make a bad decision and we decided to book a cruise. We were however most excited about the Tortola stop for obvious reasons as well as St. Thomas as it allowed us to hire a private boat to spend some time around the waters of St. John. We went on the cruise with our two teenagers earlier this month. We arrived into our Tortola stop at 6:00am, got off the boat by 7:00 and had tickets to a 7:30am "excursion" that took us via ferry boat from the cruise ship dock (well, right around the corner...literally) over to the Government dock in Great Harbor JVD. Upon arrival, they had arranged for Fast Eddie (taxi) to drive us from the Government Dock over to White Bay. We were only able to stay for a few hours though and the excursion operator ensured we were back to boat in time for a 1:00pm departure. So check your arrival and departure times carefully. Definitely not ideal, but at least we got a few breakfast painkillers in our bodies before heading back to the ship. Fun morning! (We booked through ShoreExcursionsGroup.com as the cruise line was sold out of the JVD excursion by the time we booked.) Worth noting, we will NEVER take another cruise on a large ship. Covid was apparently rampant. My wife and I both tested positive with 2 days of returning home...that was 17 days ago and we're not fully back to normal yet. We also knew a number of people on the ship that tested positive as well. Yuck. I thought I drank enough on the cruise to kill any virus that entered my body but apparently I was wrong! Good luck, have fun!

Re: Water taxi from Tortola to JVD [Re: JCarver27] #305472
08/26/2023 09:42 AM
08/26/2023 09:42 AM
Finger Lake Region
crmoores Offline
Traveler
crmoores  Offline
Traveler
Finger Lake Region
The idea of course is to get more time on Jost than the cruise line excursion offers…
Day trippers with longer port times can go on their own to Virgin Gorda and even avoid most of their fellow cruisers at the Baths by working with a driver or renting a car. But Jost is just not as easy an option…And the NCL 1PM departure just doesn’t work…

If you can find fellow cruisers on your Roll Call to share the cost of a private boat you will have a very nice day 😉

-Anthony Bourdain