fabila 44
RonDon 38
JeanneB 35
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Oceanwaves22, redroses27
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (xrayman67, CdnCouple, MrEZgoin, road3682, Manpot, duckfat, Memphré, timnboston, Todd_Melinda_K, Matt W, PML, mark37, luvtotravel, ChiTownHarry, lhbsurf, Southshore, 10 invisible), 741 guests, and 128 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Les Galets #305763
09/02/2023 06:32 PM
09/02/2023 06:32 PM
mahokid Offline OP
Traveler
mahokid  Offline OP
Traveler
After eating out 6 nights in a row on the Dutch side, we invited our Anguillian villa chef friend to dine with us at Les Galets in Les Jardins Orient

The are located across the street from the main entrance to Orient where many nice villas are
Friday was their reopening night after vacation
They send you a code to pass through the gates and are a quick left and right to the restaurant
Eight tables surround the pool much like a smaller Astrolab

Chef Hubert greeted me wife as they are facebook buddies and showed us to out table at the close end of the pool and not far from the open air kitchen where you can watch everything being prepared

It is convenient since he is the only one cooking and adorable Frannie is the only server

A five course prix fix is served to all guests with no menu, all dishes are described in full detail when served
My wife did check out the menu in advance
The menu changes every week so you may find some food items not to you liking and sort of doubt there are many substitutions
We did alert the chef in advance of our guest's allergy to shellfish

there is no wine by the glass list but was delighted to enjoy a Puligny Montrachet (a high quality Burgundian chardonnay) by the glass and only E12
when the wine warmed up a bit, it was incredible

The menu is attached so I will spare the a lot of details

I find the menu to be of higher execution and quality ingredients

The smoked cauliflower soup was smooth with not too much cream and the smoked salmon added another layer

with my second glass of chardonnay,I was in food heaven with thin sliced scallop carpaccio garnished with shrimp and the citrus to bring out the flavors
A simple but memorable second course

I switched over to a red Boudreaux to pair with the tender filet mignon encrusted in mushrooms, the deep reduced sauce added to the flavor

I saved a little red wine to pair with the star of the evening the cheese trolley

On a funny note my wife excused her self to use the restrooms which are located behind the small building that houses the kitchen, bar and refrigerators
I told my other dining companion that she will reenter the dining room from the other side from where she went in search of the cheese trolley

She returned with astonishment on her face and seriously said in disappointment that they were only 5 cheeses choices on the trolly
Maybe because this was their first night back opened

with a couple other tables finished before us we get to see all the courses before we receive them
when our neighboring tables got to select their cheese, the cart was filled with about 18 choices
My wife was extremely happy to find that the cart was just not set up

Fannie described every cheese in detail and we shared about 10 cheeses down from 2 individual plates from 2 years ago which had 17 and 15 choices respectfully

Our dining companion who has worked at the top high end hotel restaurants In Anguilla kept saying this is his new restaurant to bring his wife when they venture over

Fannie heard him say he liked the pistachio goat cheese and returned with some more for him

Although dessert was not chocolate (I'm all chocolate), the light catalan with fresh raspberries was a nice way to finish off the meal along with some celebratory champagne from the chef

Catalan is similar to creme brulee and uses milk instead of cream and some light cinnamon

I found pricing very reasonable for such a great dining experience

This is a true French dinner with time between courses and allow about 2.5 hours to dine especially since they sometimes need to slow down service as there is limited staff

Attached Files Les Galets pool.jpgLes Galets Menu.jpgLes Galets cauliflower soup.jpgLes Galets scallops-shrimp.jpgLes Galets Filet.jpgLes Galets cheese.jpgLes Galets Cheese trolley.jpgLes Galets desserts.jpg
Last edited by mahokid; 09/02/2023 06:34 PM.
SXM Sponsors
Re: Les Galets [Re: mahokid] #305765
09/02/2023 09:13 PM
09/02/2023 09:13 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Wow, that looks amazing, especially for $69 Euros.

Carol Hill
Re: Les Galets [Re: mahokid] #305766
09/03/2023 12:12 AM
09/03/2023 12:12 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
On my list for May. Looks inviting.

Re: Les Galets [Re: mahokid] #305768
09/03/2023 06:34 AM
09/03/2023 06:34 AM
mahokid Offline OP
Traveler
mahokid  Offline OP
Traveler
Be sure to make a reservation and if you prefer not to have a lengthy diner then make an early reservation
we enjoyed not being rushed

Also mention if you do not smoke so maybe there can sit you not in the middle of two smoking tables even though you are outside

Re: Les Galets [Re: mahokid] #305777
09/03/2023 09:45 AM
09/03/2023 09:45 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the tip re smoking. Eric used to smoke, but never during meals.

Carol Hill
Re: Les Galets [Re: mahokid] #305789
09/03/2023 01:07 PM
09/03/2023 01:07 PM
South Jersey USA
eilandmens Offline
Traveler
eilandmens  Offline
Traveler
South Jersey USA
Really enjoy your restaurant reports. Have put many new places on our list to enjoy on our next 3 trips to SXM this year.
Thanks