PETER ISLAND
This is our 3rd trip back to Peter Island and again not disappointed. This is such a wonderful place. The beachfront rooms were fabulous. The beaches are pristine and un-crowded. The service as always was subdued but impeccable. The new Spa was open and my wife had a treatment everyday. Her favorite was the Coconut Rub. I had one massage called the Thermal Sand Bundle Massage, a signature treatment that was one of best I have experienced. This is a haven that is not to be missed by Spa lovers. There is a new general manager named Sandra, she came from Little Dix and was the manager there. She is a good addition and has already instated some subtle changes for the better. Chef Wilo has left after 30 years—his sous chef has taken over for now until they find a replacement. The food was just as good. The only other news was that the owner died while we were there. He lives there in the villa called Eagles Nest. Left the island to go back to Michigan in seemingly good health and died relatively suddenly the next day. The staff was visibly upset as they really loved him. Due to his chronic illness his daughter and son-in-law have been running the place for years so I suspect there will be no change. Mr. Van Andel was the CEO of Amway but he owned the Island privately. We always meet some interesting people while we are there and this year was no exception. We met a freelance photographer on assignment for Caribbean Travel and Life doing a photo shoot on the new Spa, so look for it soon. The villas are still under construction but appear to be coming along. For those of you waiting for them to be finished it looks to me like 2006. At $10,000 a night I will never see the inside of these but I did apply for pool boy or man about the house. All in all Peter Island was great and we are sure we will be back again next year.

GUANA ISLAND

The last 3 nights of our stay we spent here. This was our first visit but I can tell you it will not be our last. This place was just absolutely paradise. This island is as close to being untouched/unspoiled as it gets. Being a nature sanctuary/preserve everything is done to maintain its natural beauty. From the moment we arrived we knew we were coming to some place special. Met by Roger and Bridgett at the dock we were brought up to our room about 400 ft. up. There are only 15 cottages tucked into the hillside, and upon arrival were told there were only 8 other guests. The cottages are stucco, blended conspicuously into hillside and are very simply and elegantly decorated. There is no TV, radio, telephones or A/C. Ceiling fans with absolutely wonderful breezes. We had a unit that had a private sun perch! Everything is included; all meals and all beverages. Breakfast is served between 8-10am. It is cold buffet with hot orders from the kitchen. Lunch is served from 1-3pm buffet style. Dinner is at 8pm with a pre-fix menu with an alternative. (Since my wife and I do not eat meat there was always a seafood alternative.) Guests gather in the great room at 7pm for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. For those who wish to dine privately there are separate private terraces. White Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen, and with only 8 other guests we felt like we had it by ourselves. The snorkeling right off the beach was great—saw a school of approximately 20 tarpon, barracuda, nurse sharks, squid, and sea turtles among some of the most beautiful coral. We also took a trip on the hotels boat to Marina Cay, another great snorkeling site.(Others took the boat to Jost for the day while others went to Virgin Gorda.) The beach offers an array of water toys, tennis, a fully stocked bar, tennis courts, and some strategically placed hammocks. There is also a hidden massage tent. This indeed was one of the most serene and relaxing places we have been.

After reading the post about the crowds, I can honestly say the 10 days we spent on land we never had more than a dozen people with us on a beach and many times we were alone. Yes there are crowds on Tortola and other places in the BVI but you can still find solitude you just have to look for it. I hope this wasn’t too long, I still feel I could not do our trip justice—
Stan & Karen

Got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control and some Chesapeake Bay hidden here in my heart.
[Linked Image]
[/url]