Member Spotlight
tpcook
tpcook
Vero Beach, Fl and South Sound Villa Virgin Gorda
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
paradissatravel, SXMCONNECTION
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (SXMBND, pandpfromcanada, Manpot, GaryB, anet_scot, jagmansr, JandIrene, RickinAtlanta, Matt W, GeorgeC1, pedalpusher, CaribbeanCanadians, tmsxmsails, magpie, Tom8042, SXMScubaman, lbksxm, mark37, fabila, Todd, timnboston, MamaB, 11 invisible), 935 guests, and 159 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tortola Restaurants & Other Info? #312103
01/18/2024 02:22 PM
01/18/2024 02:22 PM
South Carolina, USA
S
SJaeAllie Offline OP
SJaeAllie  Offline OP
S
South Carolina, USA
Hey, all!
We will be visiting Tortola (land based in Apple Bay) in March for the first time in about 8 years and have a bunch of questions:
Can we still take the ferry from the West End to JVD? Assuming yes, is there still a "shuttle" that will take us from the ferry dock to the Soggy Dollar bar area? (If not, what’s the best way to get there?)
Is the beach bar at Josiah’s Bay still in business?
How about the beach bar at Brewer’s Bay?
Are there any vendors at Smuggler’s Cove? (The last time we were there, there were two or three entrepreneurs selling food and drinks and one renting out kayaks.)
There used to be several restaurants other than Pussers at the West End, but I’m not seeing them on any of the restaurant lists. Are most of them closed? (I wish I could remember their names. One was a floating dock on the water that had great lobster. One was part of a small upscale hotel that I can’t remember the name of.)
I see that Da Loose Mongoose (always a fave) has renovated and expanded!! What about the restaurants at Trellis Bay that you used to have to take a boat to? (Again, I can’t remember their names—ugh!)
Has anything ever happened with the Tamarind Club building?
Or the building where Fat Hog Bob’s used to be?
Does anybody know what's going on (if anything) with the former Surfsong property on Beef Island? (We were married there in 2007.)
Are there any new places to check out?
All info and recommendations are much appreciated!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Tortola Restaurants & Other Info? [Re: SJaeAllie] #312111
01/18/2024 03:47 PM
01/18/2024 03:47 PM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Hi and welcome, I can answer a couple for you…
-I think best way to get to Soggy from ferry dock is likely taxi
- we stayed with friends last year on Josiah’s and Naomi’s is gone , lost to Irma, there is a cool surf board rental shop and a neat little bar/ snack place beside it . Last year in May the new restaurant was close to opening . Looked like a very neat place
-Nicole’s is opened at Brewers
-smugglers has Patricia’s and Nigel’s both very cool places
-Loose Mongoose as you knew it is gone. There is a gigantic place in its place. Not my vibe but a lot of folks like it. trellis Bay Market is there and expanded. A new place Marche has wonderful Asian food . A lot of rebuilding since Irma
-Last Resort is gone ( place you boat to from Trellis)

I am sure others will chime in….many things have changed since your last visit…some for the better some not

Kim

Re: Tortola Restaurants & Other Info? [Re: Sandsailsun] #312118
01/18/2024 04:35 PM
01/18/2024 04:35 PM
Petoskey, MI
CottageGirl Offline
Traveler
CottageGirl  Offline
Traveler
Petoskey, MI
Marche at Trellis Bay has delicious sushi!

Re: Tortola Restaurants & Other Info? [Re: Sandsailsun] #312128
01/18/2024 07:00 PM
01/18/2024 07:00 PM
South Carolina, USA
S
SJaeAllie Offline OP
SJaeAllie  Offline OP
S
South Carolina, USA

Thanks, Kim! Now that you mention them, I remember them!! So sad about Naomi's. (My husband is a surfer, so we spent many days at Josiah's; Naomi had great burgers, fries, and cold drinks.) I was shocked to see recent photos of Loose Mongoose. They had my favorite roti and rum punch. We'll have to try it, but I agree with you—I prefer the small, rustic places.