Member Spotlight
CaptainJay
CaptainJay
Saint Thomas, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
mamakim
Who's Online Now
27 registered members (pandpfromcanada, CaribbeanCanadians, Tom, kaba, Manpot, gjconsult, SXMBND, jrw, George1234, ColoBoater, JerseyPal, Kennys, fabila, NumberCruncher, Bernd, sunmantwo, richard4th, 10 invisible), 958 guests, and 172 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sea Sickness help #315712
03/16/2024 05:59 PM
03/16/2024 05:59 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline OP
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline OP
Traveler
GA/NC
Over a hundred plus charters I have dealt with this constantly with the friends I have invited. The only thing that really ever worked was the scopolamine patch. This looks like it might be a much better option. If anyone tries it please report back!
G

Go to http://www.scopace.com/

Comparing SCOPACE to the scopolamine patch, please note the following important differences:

1. Dosing Flexibility: You should receive the precise amount of medication that you require. You can adjust the dose of SCOPACE for your individual needs. In contrast, the patch provides only a fixed dose. One fixed dose may not be appropriate for all people. Generally, a larger person requires more medication than a smaller person.

2. Greater Efficacy: Oral scopolamine was twice as effective as topical in preventing motion sickness in a study conducted for NASA.2 A separate study reported that motion-induced symptoms decreased 75% with oral scopolamine but only 63% with topical scopolamine.8 Scopolamine was not absorbed well across the skin in 29% of patients tested.3 Indeed, variable absorption and possible underdosage of large patients may have contributed to the report that topical scopolamine is effective in relieving motion sickness, sea sickness in only 50-74% of users.

3. Lower Incidence of Side Effects: Common side effects associated with topical scopolamine include dry mouth (occurring in about two-thirds of people) and drowsiness (occurring in less than one-sixth of people).4 The occurrence of side effects was reported as more frequent with topical scopolamine when compared with an equivalent tablet dose.5 Side effects may be minimized with the dosing flexibility available with SCOPACE: take the lowest dose needed to achieve the desired travel comfort.

4. Faster Onset of Action: SCOPACE dissolves within minutes for quick GI absorption and onset of effect. In contrast, effective drug concentration is not achieved until some 6-8 hours after the patch is applied.

5. Shorter Duration of Action: With its duration of approximately 8 hours, SCOPACE is well suited for short periods of travel. It can also be considered for longer periods of travel during which one may acclimate to the motion and need less medication over time.

6. Cost Effective: One dose of SCOPACE is less than 10% of the cost of a scopolamine patch.

7 SCOPACE is very cost-effective and covered by most health insurance plans -- making its cost reimbursable or limited to only a modest co-payment.

One last thing, I went to my doctor and asked for him to prescribe Scopace. He told me it wasn't in his book, so it must have been taken off the market. I told him his book was old and gave him the web address. It is not commonly prescribed and I don't blame my doctor.

How much you pay, depends on your prescription plan. I paid $15.00 for 90 pills. A STEAL compared to the cost of the patch.

Again, this is from the web site (http://www.scopace.com/available.html)

BVI Sponsors
Re: Sea Sickness help [Re: GeorgeC1] #315720
03/16/2024 09:45 PM
03/16/2024 09:45 PM
New Jersey, USA
DanS Offline
Traveler
DanS  Offline
Traveler
New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
One last thing, I went to my doctor and asked for him to prescribe Scopace. He told me it wasn't in his book, so it must have been taken off the market. I told him his book was old and gave him the web address. It is not commonly prescribed and I don't blame my doctor.

From the web site you posted (Steven's RX):

Scopolamine is available in tablet and transdermal patch form. Scopace, the brand name for the tablet form, has been discontinued and is no longer being manufactured by Hope Pharmaceuticals. The equivalent active ingredients of Scopace is available as a custom compounded prescription from compounding pharmacies. Steven’s Pharmacy has been custom formulating Scopolamine capsules.

Re: Sea Sickness help [Re: GeorgeC1] #315730
03/17/2024 07:08 AM
03/17/2024 07:08 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline OP
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline OP
Traveler
GA/NC
Oh well, it seemed like a really good idea!

Re: Sea Sickness help [Re: GeorgeC1] #315768
03/17/2024 11:10 AM
03/17/2024 11:10 AM
Naples
N
nevar37 Offline
Traveler
nevar37  Offline
Traveler
N
Naples
Compounding pharmacies can make a scopolamine gel. I used to dispense the gel in 5 and 10cc syringes and advised the patient to apply it behind the ear, like the patch, the night before and every 12 hours after. It's bulletproof. It has to be refrigerated and one syringe lasted all season on Cape Cod.