Well here finally is part 2
Dec 3 Fri am….having spent another peaceful night in our favorite BVI anchorage; we pull up anchor and head out from White Bay to Cruz Bay to clear into the US again. As we pull into Cruz Bay, all the ferries are just pulling out and we are able to pull up to the dock in front of Customs. Clearing is a piece of cake and we are off to St. Thomas.

We head into Red Hook, where we figure we can grab a cab to Coki Beach (the beach we played on when we honeymooned here 31 years ago.) It doesn’t look like an easy project for a short stop at Red Hook and decide to try motoring around to the north to see if we can get closer to Coki Point. We are able to anchor right in the bay in front of what was our honeymoon hotel (Pineapple Beach Resort). Pineapple Beach Resort is no longer the name, it has changed a couple of times and is currently closed again.

We dink to the area where Coral World is. First impression on stepping foot on US soil again. There is an awful lot of litter on the ground. Tons of cab drivers vying for your needs. Vendors everywhere….selling all kinds of “stuff”. (Toto, we are not in the BVI’s anymore)(and things sure have changed in 31 years, used to be .25 cents to go to Coki AND borrow their snorkel gear!)
We walk up to Coral World and go in (note: this attraction has on their website a $3.00 off coupon on all adult tickets) Price for 4 with coupon $60. The place is very interesting and a great way for people who are not real happy snorkeling to see the vast array of fish in these waters. They have a pool where they house 4 Green turtles that were rescued and rehabilitated. It was fun and interesting to see them fed. They also have a Manta Ray pool where you can feed the rays. Paul had fun feeding them. Great photos. Various other pools housing sharks, and a large underwater viewing station of fish on the reef. A nice afternoon and something new to do. The most interesting of all was the large number of HUGE iguanas roaming the park. They generally hung out on a wall above the turtle pool, but roam the main concourse to the snack bar area also. There were probably 10 or 15 of them….one larger than the next. (See photos).

We pickup anchor and head south around to Charlotte Amalie. Drop anchor in the east end of the harbor. We pass the Queen Mary 2 at the entrance to the harbor. She is HUGE! Guess she is too large to actually enter the port. There are 2 other cruise ships at the dock. Tenders heading back and forth taking cruise guests to town.

Cruise around the harbor and drop anchor in the northeast corner. We dinked in and were able to pull up to a concrete dock right on the main drag. There is a flea market set up directly across the street. We looked around a little and picked up some local guide books to plan our shopping assault on the morrow. Again, litter in the streets and VERY commercial. Tons of people. Tons of cabbies looking to drive you anywhere. We poked our heads into a few shops, but it was getting late and they were all about to close.

Later that evening we went to Craig & Sally’s in Frenchtown for dinner. It was GREAT! Very good food and an extensive wine list. It is Paula & Franks last night with us and we splurge. A spectacular recommendation from TTOL’s Nutmeg. Not much we feel like doing after dinner, not really interested in the bar on the wharf, so we head back to the boat to consume a significant balance of the liquor onboard.

Sat morning Dec 4 Paula and Frank pack up all their stuff (actually Paula does). They are flying out tonite on a 6pm flight…. 9am we are ready for our onslaught of the shops. (Paul & Frank are just thrilled…..NOT). We do about 3 shops and the guys decided that they would just wait outside. Wrong again! The girls decide that the guys Must accompany them inside (guys thrilled again) and the 2 couples split up. We each have a radio so we can coordinate a meeting for lunch. (Those little hand held radios were really nice, and we used them often on the trip, as we could go separate ways and still be in contact). At this point I mention looking for “Blue Light” specials in regards to our forthcoming shopping and state that when I was in Bobby’s market in CGB last week, I heard it announced over their PA. Frank is now laughing hysterically as he reports that he had said over the radio “There is a Blue Light special in aisle 4”. Little did I know at the time that it was actually coming from the radio on my hip? I’ll kill him.
Shop we did! Spent much more than I had planned, but then I usually do when I hit jewelry stores…..after all it was our anniversary. The jeweler felt so bad for Paul that he gave him a Very nice GOLD shirt. Called Paula & Frank to meet for lunch, but they had already eaten. They are going to the flea market and we stop into Pizza Hut for a “quick” lunch. USVI is also on “Island Time” Our waitress was doing the Island Time shuffle. Pretty funny. Never picked up a foot. Pizza and hour and a half. After lunch we stopped back at the jewelers to pickup the items that needed to have work done on them. He tries one more time to sell me more, but I know I am waaaay past my limit. Good try on his part, but no cigar.

Meet Paula & Frank back at the dink. She too has broken the bank. We head out to Cattitude and pull up anchor to head to Crown Bay Marina. We will top off our diesel & water, pick up a few needed items from the market, stop at a Cingular store to find out why my phone won’t work as a modem for my laptop there and grab my email from an internet service in the marina. (I did not get a modem from Cable & Wireless this time as I thought that I would be able to connect thru my Cingular phone. (Wrong again). We head around to the west side of Charlotte Amalie and to Crown Bay and it’s marina (there are 2 more cruise ships at the docks there, for a total of 5 cruise ships in Crown Bay.) We were told by the jeweler that there are 5 to 7 ships every day in season. (That sucks)

At the marina, Paul gets fuel & water; I head to the market, Cingular, & Wireless. Both Cingular and Wireless stores are closed. I am really cranky now as I have not been able to access my email. I go to complain to the Marina office (they had told us earlier in the day that these services were available). She feels bad and lets me use her computer. Clean out all the junk mail, respond to a few that need attention and head to the grocery store. Very nice store (note though::: all the produce purchased there went bad by the next day….obviously not as fresh as stated (even a garlic)

Paula and Frank bid us goodbye and use the grocery cart to lug their luggage to the street to pick up a cab for the airport.

Paul & I head out to Druif Bay (Honeymoon Bay) on the west side of Water Island for the evening. A quick dip and then dinner. We watch Paula & Frank’s plane overhead taking them to PR.
We toast to Saturday while watching the sunset and the cruise ships heading out to their next destination. Tomorrow our real adventure begins. We have a calm, but concerning nite. We are anchored directly off the SE point. It is all rocks. Hope the anchor holds.

Sun Dec 5 Early rise. Time to head to the Spanish Virgins

See pics US VI PICS
USVI CoralWorld

Next part to come VERY soon...I promise as I only have 5 days before we start the next adventure.

Carolyn
M/Y Cattitude