|
|
|
Forums39
Topics41,952
Posts342,043
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 7,640
Joined: January 2002
|
|
|
13 members (bailau, Todd_Melinda_K, GettingThere, SXMScubaman, dcareri, dayhiker, S/Y Mockingbird, rickl454, Fran, 4 invisible),
376
guests, and
54
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930 Likes: 2 |
Heading down in about a week for a 10 day Moorings bareboat charter on a 46.3 monohull which draws a bit less that 6 feet. Given a typical 1 foot tide, how close in can we go for a mooring ball.
A couple of trips ago the mooring field was full so we had to anchor. That normally would be a non-issue if it weren't for the fact that our depth sounder wasn't calibrated. It hadn't been an issue to that point because we were either in a slip or on a ball in deep water. I ending up dropping between 2 anchored monohulls figuring it would be ok for us as well. As I recall we were safely anchored in negative 6 feet of water (no we weren't touching).
Louis from Houston
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 249 Likes: 10
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 249 Likes: 10 |
Here you go.... ![[Linked Image]](https://bvipirate.com/AnegadaApproach.gif)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382 Likes: 2 |
I can't really answer as to how far in you can go but this past June I touched down just behind the last row of balls. I was swinging around to starboard to head back up to a ball.
With the assistance of a friendly cat captain, I was able to pull back and out and then was careful to stay in the mooring field to get my call. My depth was reading 4.5 when we touched and I think the boat draws 5' 3" or something so it was "half-calibrated" or something.
I don't know if the tide was in or out as I never pay attention to it there. Next time I go, I'm going to just weave in and out of the ball/boats and not try to come down the outside. After this experience, I would not try to anchor downwind from the mooring field in a mono.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930 Likes: 2 |
I don't know if the tide was in or out as I never pay attention to it there. Next time I go, I'm going to just weave in and out of the ball/boats and not try to come down the outside. After this experience, I would not try to anchor downwind from the mooring field in a mono. Bvipirate has started posting tide information. Thanks for the information. I'll try to stay outside (and maybe even pay BoatyBall).
Louis from Houston
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,494 Likes: 5
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,494 Likes: 5 |
Not only great data (Walker collected it with a dinghy, hand-held depth sounder, and hand-held GPS), but beautifully presented. Dan 
|
|
|
|
|
|
|