Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,951
Posts342,011
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 28
kim 18
Member Spotlight
ndfaninnc
ndfaninnc
Kannapolis, NC
Posts: 845
Joined: September 2006
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
7 members (tomp, LAB57, ctpsxm, charlie, Manpot, rpotter28, 1 invisible), 440 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
We're coming in mid-July on what will be, I think, our 16th Moorings charter. Maybe we're in a rut, but it's a helluva nice rut!

Our flights are on Delta to SJU and I'm inclined to use Island Birds like we did last year. However I thought I'd get feedback on puddle jump options to EIS. Cape Air would be my first choice but they're expensive and flights don't mesh well with our Delta flights, especially on the return home.


Louis from Houston
BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
Tradewinds are good, but not cheap. The cheap option is InterCaribbean.

I understand folks have miles and loyalty programs, but, since the demise of Silver, the American option through Miami seems to be winning in terms of ridership. Island Birds may be your best option.

How about fly United direct to STT and take a water taxi?

Last edited by RatmansWife; 03/28/2026 06:41 PM.
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
While there are better routes out of Houston, I have a ton of Amex points which can really only be used on Delta.. Delta's flights to STT are limited and take more miles so I prefer to go the SJU route. While I can buy tickets with miles through Amex Travel, I get more bang for the buck going direct to Delta. There are 3 of us and I was able to get 3 first class seats. I'll take a look at Tradewinds.


Louis from Houston
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 249
Likes: 10
D
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
D
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 249
Likes: 10
We frequently fly to and from EIS through SJU. We always use Cape Air, and have had excellent experience. Occasionally, on our way down, our baggage is delayed in San Juan because of weight, but it always makes it the next morning. It is understandable to us because our bags are heavy (always over 60 pounds each).

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by duckfat
We frequently fly to and from EIS through SJU. We always use Cape Air, and have had excellent experience. Occasionally, on our way down, our baggage is delayed in San Juan because of weight, but it always makes it the next morning. It is understandable to us because our bags are heavy (always over 60 pounds each).

Question about Cape Air connections:

Coming down our Delta flight arrives 1:32pm. I'm not sure if Delta has a baggage agreement with Cape Air, but assuming they don't. is catching the 3:10pm flight cutting it too close? We'll probably be under 50 for each of the 3 of us.

On the return Delta leaves 2:42PM. Is a Cape Air arrival at 12:36pm cutting it too tight? Other alternative arrives at 8:44am.

With limited options SJU - EIS a charter like we did last year seems a less stressful, albeit much more expensive option.


Louis from Houston
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
I decided to go with Island Birds. The pricing is pretty good, schedule ill match up with our flights, and doing customs on the way home through the FBO is definitely an advantage.


Louis from Houston
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
Island Birds is best in your circumstances. Over the (many) years we have taken most every route. We have dropped and added credit cards over the years, as different routes became more or less advantageous.

We realized we have a lot of Southwest miles, for which we no longer have much use. Ratman used them to get a ticket to STT. He got the most expensive ticket, which includes two checked bags (boat and car parts). The schedule is good, and he hopes to catch the 2 pm ferry. We've already got tickets in December on American, so flying Southwest will save AA miles for future flights.

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 910
Likes: 4
C
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 910
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by louismcc
I decided to go with Island Birds. The pricing is pretty good, schedule ill match up with our flights, and doing customs on the way home through the FBO is definitely an advantage.

Regular travellers to the USVIs and BVIs since 1995.

We used Cape Air between SJU/STT and SJU/VG. The only issue we had was baggage regularly getting left behind due to overweight issues. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for this inconvience so we have used Island Birds exclusively since 2009. We can fly to SJU reasonably for cash or points so I lump both costs together in my brain and call it a day.

Clearing in via FBO area is so easy. They will take you all the way to USDA screening in the main terminal.

When the price was right, we have flown to STT and used Island Birds to Virgin Gorda but never on the return, STT was bad on a good day before. Our last trip out of STT was mid-week in November and check in at United alone was 45 minutes/ Reports are its a nightmare now. T


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5