Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,950
Posts342,006
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 29
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Manpot
Manpot
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Posts: 17,513
Joined: May 2002
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
8 members (SXMScubaman, Dan&Roxanne, RatmansWife, Two2go, Buddyhog, luvtotravel, 2 invisible), 388 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#346863 05/07/2026 09:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 74
Likes: 1
M
Marie Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
M
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 74
Likes: 1
There was a 3.5 earthquake on 5/6 at about 9 pm on the south shore of JVD. Looks like between great and little harbor. Any news of any damage?

BVI Sponsors
.
Marie #346868 05/08/2026 08:49 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 5
3.5? Would anyone really notice? Or would they think a truck went by...?


Peter
s/y Time Will Tell (2019 Lagoon 42)
peter@syTimeWillTell.com

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
@twt - Have you ever been in an earthquake? I grew up in Japan and experienced many, but I did have a 3.-something hit while I was on the 35th floor of a building in Tokyo and I certainly noticed it - I thought the building would tip over. Of course, there are both lateral and vertical quakes, each with different effects. And when at anchor or at sea, one doesn't feel a thing.


[Linked Image]
Marie #346872 05/08/2026 12:28 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Online Crying
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
The quakes I have experienced on Tortola have been the "one bump" kind..very unlike the Ca quakes..At our Southern Ca home during the Northridge quake I thought the house was coming down on us..and the Napa quake years later was violent..the BVI quakes are pretty tame after that!

Zanshin #346873 05/08/2026 02:23 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 5
I have been in a few - a couple of bump types, and one swaying one that left an impression. Being 300-400 feet up, I'd certainly expect to feel a 3.5 quake - but nothing is that tall on Jost! Just wouldn't be surprised if no one noticed!

Looking it up, USGS has it centered 102km north of Charlotte Amalie!

Keep Smiling!!!

Last edited by Time Will Tell; 05/08/2026 02:30 PM.

Peter
s/y Time Will Tell (2019 Lagoon 42)
peter@syTimeWillTell.com

1 member likes this: onlymedication
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 74
Likes: 1
M
Marie Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
M
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 74
Likes: 1
The earthquake I mentioned was 12 km NNE of Cruz Bay according to USGS. Glad that there wasn’t any damage so far.

Marie #346876 05/08/2026 04:44 PM
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 83
Likes: 4
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 83
Likes: 4
My limited experience with earthquakes. If you were on land, sitting still or laying awake in bed, you could have felt it. If you had been drinking all day or evening, probably not.

Attached Images
Screenshot 2026-05-08 at 1.28.02 PM.png
Last edited by Rumlover; 05/08/2026 04:47 PM.
Marie #347283 05/18/2026 11:57 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 632
Likes: 4
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 632
Likes: 4
[Linked Image]

Zanshin #347551 05/25/2026 11:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,184
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,184
Originally Posted by Zanshin
And when at anchor or at sea, one doesn't feel a thing.

I lived in the BVI for many years. Once, while at anchor, I felt/heard something. I stuck my head out the companionway, thinking one of the Chalwell's ~150ft cargo ships had started their engines. No smoke! Later I went ashore, and several friends asked if I'd felt the earthquake! It happened a second time a few years later.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5