|
Forums39
Topics41,950
Posts342,006
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Manpot
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Posts: 17,513
Joined: May 2002
|
|
|
12 members (Pltraveler, S/Y Mockingbird, Kennys, lbksxm, Dan&Roxanne, Zanshin, SXMScubaman, RatmansWife, Two2go, Buddyhog, 2 invisible),
372
guests, and
64
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 16 |
Looking though the threads here and don’t see anyone posting about the best mount to use on a Moorings 464PC, or any mounts for that matter. I assume that many people bring Starlink and I am planning to bring my Mini in a couple of weeks to use on the boat. I was thinking of using one with suction mounts to place up under my cabin hatch/portlight but not sure if that is big enough to accommodate the suction mount.
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
I got this mount. I suction cup it to the roof of the helm hardtop Bimini and power it off the 12 volt car kit using socket at helm. I recommend you get the range extender starlink sells for 40.00 and place it in the main salon. https://www.amazon.com/Starlink-Mini-Suction-Cup-Mount/dp/B0DTDFHZ54/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=67QWLBTVDTUY&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.-CwdxZUym_MehsMoyBeXcbael1qlxnNmztfw79tFKLFa_g7_loauP3ikjIu6ice9cOPy8kvQUeWCBwI2rJcD5c8dz_FTXUJ7Q6mx3bxnOdR1r4WBRfx2Y3WoEMUnoIDkg6216OxdJJidJc1XDj54cqDgDhAKp3jQeKtQ_CeA8s0QKinnAxwFkWb8StHzGCiO8H9DeozHrpElXZaCCHSM5BAdW2bK_aCWPz3hAa0pcjE.im33ubdjF_WqUwdrFJDUWVVMfmcy94aAm67fYAwCv9U&dib_tag=se&keywords=starlink+suction+cup+mount&qid=1782910705&sprefix=Starlink+suction%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958 Likes: 9
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958 Likes: 9 |
I bring a mini and just set it out on the foredeck pointed vaguely north. Although on the only 464 I've been on I think I put it up on the upper aft deck. I've used my WIFI on shore 300 feet from the boat, so never found the need for a separate router. I usually secure it underway.
M4200 MANTA
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 16 |
Thanks George. That mount looks as if it needs to be placed under a clear/plexiglass surface. How is it that you mount it on the hardtop?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
I just stick it onto the hardtop. You can reverse the mounts to use it below or above a surface. As far as the mesh booster on the 5000 at least if you have it mounted on the helm roof the port forward cabin did not get a strong signal. It was also suggested by someone with more experience than me that it would work better with multiple users. Tried it both ways and speed appeared better with the booster. It’s dirt simple to use. Just set it in the main salon and plug it in. It’s 40.00 bucks from Starlink. It’s the size of a deck of cards.
Last edited by GeorgeC1; 07/01/2026 07:13 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 16 |
Thanks again. I have the (US) Roam 100 ($55) plan. Will that be sufficient for one week in BVI? I just stick it onto the hardtop. You can reverse the mounts to use it below or above a surface. As far as the mesh booster on the 5000 at least if you have it mounted on the helm roof the port forward cabin did not get a strong signal. It was also suggested by someone with more experience than me that it would work better with multiple users. Tried it both ways and speed appeared better with the booster. It’s dirt simple to use. Just set it in the main salon and plug it in. It’s 40.00 bucks from Starlink. It’s the size of a deck of cards.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
The Roam plan at 100GB works for us. Just make sure everyone puts their phones in low data mode. That does not slow anything down. It just stops every app on your phone from constantly phoning home to the mothership and cloud.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 949
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 949 |
I haven't used it yet, but I have this for starlink mini... I have power from engine compartment. https://a.co/d/01mG7LXQ
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349 Likes: 3
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349 Likes: 3 |
Just remember that Starlink is not approved for the BVI (only Caribbean country that has not approved Starlink) so it will only work for 60 days, and then you need to bring it back to USA to reset it.
tpcook
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349 Likes: 3
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349 Likes: 3 |
Just found out that Starlink is only allowing 30 days use in the BVI with ONLY the roam unlimited plan. lots of luck using Starlink in the BVI. I will have to change how I get internet in the BVI after this change,
tpcook
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7 Likes: 2 |
Tpcook
I have had multiple conversations with Starlink recently about use in BVI. They told me that it will soon be available in BVI (this year) after which time, provided you have a local address it will work fine.
For us on our boat with Roam Unlimited it will work outside of the UK for 60 days and then stop working. At that point we either have to take it home to reset the countdown or upgrade the package to £250 per month and it will work indefinitely in BVI or any other Caribbean territory.
So I don't think we will bother. Our phone plan gives us unlimited free roaming, albeit at a slower speed, but good enough for our requirements.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,111 Likes: 5
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,111 Likes: 5 |
Tpcook
I have had multiple conversations with Starlink recently about use in BVI. They told me that it will soon be available in BVI (this year) after which time, provided you have a local address it will work fine.
For us on our boat with Roam Unlimited it will work outside of the UK for 60 days and then stop working. At that point we either have to take it home to reset the countdown or upgrade the package to £250 per month and it will work indefinitely in BVI or any other Caribbean territory.
So I don't think we will bother. Our phone plan gives us unlimited free roaming, albeit at a slower speed, but good enough for our requirements. Is there any plan that provides mid-ocean coverage at a reasonable cost? I've crossed a few oceans on a small boat and satellite coverage was invaluable. Back in the day though, all you could really do was a one or two line email to let people you know that you were still alive  Starlink would have been wonderful.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7 Likes: 2 |
Hi Mike,
I was told you get the Roam Unlimited plan (£100 per month) with a Starlink Mini kit (costs around £200 currently). This gives you up to 12 miles offshore. Then you toggle the 'Ocean' setting when you set off and pay a couple of £ per GB of data when crossing the Atlantic (other oceans are available).
Then when you arrive it works for another 30 days... and then you have to return it to home to reset the 30 day countdown or pay £250 per month.
...per my conversation with Starlink yesterday. YMMV
|
|
1 member likes this:
Jeannius |
|
|
|
|