Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,047
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 31
mahokid 30
RonDon 29
erb923 26
GaKaye 17
Member Spotlight
BillS
BillS
Canada
Posts: 50
Joined: January 2015
Today's Birthdays
FrogtownRoadCat3
Who's Online Now
9 members (Lucky13, lovemysxm, CJIMI, SURICK, Buddyhog, Manpot, triciatn, 2 invisible), 370 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 850
calsail Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 850
I will be coming down next week and have been asked by a friend to bring him 4 valves and two selinoids for his boat. Not large at all but certainly could be a flag of some sort. Mal or others--any thoughts. Possibly an import tax? Do I need actual purchase proof?

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,534
Likes: 1
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,534
Likes: 1
I routinely bring stuff and I always declare it coming in. You never know what day you'll get "lucky" and they want to rummage through.A lot of times they'll ask about something I've listed and I say it's for so and so and they just wave me through. I keep proof of purchase right along with it. Duty varies,generally around 10%.


My foot fits right into my shoe and my shoe will fit right into your...
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 2,429
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 2,429
I agree with HillsideView. I never have purchase receipts but always declare and estimate value because you just never know.


Mike
"The journey is the thing." Homer
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 770
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 770
I would be more worried about TSA than BVI customs.


Jim
Sailmoby II
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Online Crying
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Just as others have said..declare them and they may charge you a small duty..but maybe not, depending who you get..see you here!

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,028
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,028
Came back from Puerto Rico last Saturday to VG airport. Lady in front of me had a big box of wines which she declared. She didn't declare the meat which was also in the box. She was hauled over the coals and paid big time. Her explanation was in 10 years of coming to the BVI, she has never paid for meat. Immigration said, "You were very lucky" Best to declare everything folks, its just not worth it


Nick Willis
"Mine Host"
Leverick Bay Resort & Marina
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
I've gotten the impression that the BVI takes duty on boat parts pretty seriously. I've seen cruisers repeatedly get raked over the coals at West End C&I for bringing in parts. In January an irate cruiser up and left saying he was not going to check in and pay duty on his components just to check out again as soon as the work was. We sent over the spars to have the work done on our boat at Nanny Cay before we closed on our boat and moved it to the USVI. C&I grilled us at checkout on or duty exemption as we were checking out. They were keeping track and I get the impression there would have been a reckoning when we checked in again.

Gun Creek? Jost? Not so intense.

Cheers, RickG


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5