I'm going to get a trip report together in the next couple days, but I wanted to post an important part of it here while it's still very fresh in my mind.

We said goodbye to our crew on June 16 and caught the NSX ferry to Leverick Bay to visit Kimmers and Lew at Spyglass. Shortly after we arrived, Lew asked if I wanted to attend a VISAR training session on Saturday morning. I, of course, said yes. What I didn't expect was that I'd be "suiting up" and going out on their 21' Atlantic rescue boat, Gorda Peak.

It was amazing from the first moment. Simon Fox was in charge. Lew Spruance and Shelly Johnston were there for the training excercise. I suited up with them in a dry suit, massive life jacket and helmut.. and we were off.

The first exercise was a man overboard drill. The helm has the boat going full speed and Simon would throw a life jacket over, shouting "man overboard". One crew stands and spots the MOB, points their arm in the direction for the helm, while the other moves forward to recover. Lew went first at the helm, then Shelly. I was more than surprised when Simon told me to take a turn at the helm.

Next we did a beach rescue. Lew took the helm and we entered Devlis Bay. Close to shore, Simon put the anchor out forward and we back to the beach until the stern of Gorda Peak was in 2' to 3' of water. Lew raised one engine completely to keep it safe and kept the other in reverse to keep the boat in position. Shelly took the medical kit over with her and waded ashore to an imaginary victim. Weather conditions were relatively calm but I could only imagine how precarious this could be at night with a heavy swell.

Next we worked on high-speed 180 degree turns. I didn't take the helm for these.

Next we met up with Colin Haddock and Murray Maxwell on Colin's sailboat "Blewit Big Time". Colin had volunteered to be a victim to be transferred to Gorda Peak on a backboard. First, we practiced "nosing" Gorda Peak to Blewit's hull and holding fast in the sloop's wake while one crew boarded the boat with a medical kit. Next, Lew held Gorda Peak against Blewit and we tied off bow and stern lines. Colin was strapped to the backboard, then Shelly and Simon passed Colin head first to me while Shelly came back aboard Gorda Peak to help me get Colin situated and turn the board so his head was not near the engine controls. The transfer was successful and Colin "survived"!

We started out at 8:30am and finished up just before noon, returning to Spanish Town at full speed. VISAR's web site says the boats have a top speed of about 30mph. I don't believe that for a minute. I'm sure we hit 50mph on the way in. That experience was both exhilarating and educational and I'll never forget it.

It's easy to think of VISAR as a rescue boat if you get into trouble but unless you get up close and personal with their training you don't appreciate the medical training, emergency medical equipment and capabilities. They train constantly, often twice a week. Shelly has been doing this since her arrival on Virgin Gorda last August and still working hard to become a qualified responder. The dedication and personal sacrifice these people make is amazing and their payment is the gratification of knowing they help. VISAR is truly a remarkable group of men and women and I'm very proud to have met just a few of them.

Bill Hartzman
706-495-1435
Email]billhartzman@gmail.com[/Email]