Trip Report July 1-16

This was our 5th trip to the island which has been every other year since 1999. This is my first report to share with others. Like others, I would like to thank all of you for previous reports and opinions that everyone shares.
Arrived from Detroit to Charlotte via US Airways, the minute we landed, we could feel any stress melt away. We were shuttled to Dollar Rental to pick up our Kia Rio and off to the Summit Hotel for 1 night. I must say that this is a hidden gem on the island. We will not hesitate to stay here again. After a few Caribs and talking with Chloe, we felt we were home again.
Our first week we stayed at the Towers at Mullet Bay. This was an exchange from our resort in northern Michigan. This resort is very nice, especially inside. We had a 2 bedroom and everything we needed was here. Our 12 year old son enjoyed having his own room and space. It is hard to say if we liked this property more than The Royal Islander. It is out of the way and quiet but we also liked the activity in the Maho area.
The second week we stayed in a villa which we rented through St. Martin Villas in Oyster Pond. This was our second stay at this villa, the first was in ’99 for our 10th anniversary. There is nothing like staying in a villa, all the comforts of home, privacy and the ability to come and go without a desk or guards to check-in.
We went to the following beaches during our stay.
1. Mullet Beach. This was our first time at this beach and we do not know how we missed it in the past. It had gentle waves most of the time except when hurricane Dennis was passing by. Food is available right on the beach and bathrooms close by. Went to this beach 4 times
2. Bay Rouge. Went here twice. The sand seemed hotter than usual this time, maybe the sun was out more than other times we have been here.
3. Friars Beach and Happy Bay. Went here twice as well. Happy Bay once-from past trips this is no longer a quiet beach, day trips stop here and more people are there. Still one of the prettiest beaches on the island.
4. Dawn Beach. Went here 3 times. There were 2 days when the waves were rolling in, I think Hurricane Emily had something to do with this. I had bought inflatable boogie boards (prior to leaving) and we had a blast riding the waves.
5. Orient Beach. What can you say, Party
6. Long Bay. Arrived to find many nude couples who left after we arrived. I quess they did not feel comfortable with a 12 year boy there. Those that stayed put their clothes back on. We stayed only an hour, I’m sure they were happy to see us go. I thought this was a very pretty beach.
7. Grand Case beach. Not what we thought it would be like, very few people and next to the hotels and restaurants.
We ate at the following restaurants.
1. L’ Alabama, great food, service but very pricey, 1/1 euro/dollar with cash.
2. L’ Escargot, still one of our favorite places
3. Turtle Pier, how can we not go there on a Wednesday night.
4. Bistro Caraibes, another of our favorites, not 1/1
5. Tastevin, excellent food, not 1/1
6. California, first time here, we will definitely come back again 1/1
7. Sunset beach bar, bar food, Caribs and planes and fun atmosphere
8. Ric’s place for breakfast
9. Friars Beach Bar Café, gourmet food on the beach not 1/1
10. Chez Raymonds, great food, not the same when he is not there, also not 1/1
11. Mr. Busbys.
12. Bikini Beach Café
13. Carlo’s. This place is located across from Sapphire, this had the worst service I have ever received. (and I am a former waiter while in college) One entrée was 20 minutes later than the other 2, they tried to take my chair when I got up to go to the restroom, never said they were sorry or offered any compensation. Charged me with 15% service to boot. I saw other tables with problems as well, avoid this place.
Went to the TTOL party on July 11th at the Kissing Fish. Met some very nice people. John did a great job organizing the party. Chloe and Thierry made the whole event perfect. I am looking forward to see the pictures that Bruce took. If you ever have a chance to attend one of these parties, do so.
Drove up to the top of Pic Pardise. This may have been our most anxious thing to do, a narrow road, isolated and warnings from others about crime at the top made us nervous, but glad we did it anyways.
Saw a movie one night in Simpson Bay. Where else can 3 people get in, have 3 drinks, popcorn and candy for $22.
General observations.
1. More police seen than in the past, I think this is a good thing.
2. I felt that there was less trash than 2 years ago, saw crews picking up on the sides of the roads.
3. Construction everywhere
4. Front Street in Phillipsburg is a much needed improvement, felt much safer walking without getting hit by cars.
5. As in a previous thread, timeshare gnomes more aggressive.
6. I am jealous of those on the east coast that get to fly down at much cheaper airfare.
I have enjoyed reading everything that others had said on this message board. A lot of people read this that never had an input which is just fine. I believe that this message board has a lot more influence on others than you may think. Let’s keep up the good work so others will benefit when they come down.
Dave