I hope everyone had a great and wonderful Thanksgiving.

SHORTEN 2005 TRIP REPORT (10/29-11/11, 2005)

Others will be posting detail trip reports but I though I would add a few brief comments to the addition of photos of Auguilla and misc pictures of SXM to the existing pictures I placed a few weeks ago regarding Orient, Tintamarre, Baie Rouge, and Cupecoy
at http://www.paulchilton.com/sxm.htm

First, I tried to provide pictures taken from the ocean while I was snorkeling during our visit to SXM. We stayed at the Flamingo the first week and at the Pelican the second week.

Vickie and I arrived on SXM at 2:22 pm by AA with no problems. We were able to book the flight using 25000 air miles with a direct flight from MIA to SXM. BTW, the departure tax from SXM is included in the AA tickets. An individual from Unity Car Rental was waiting for us at the exit and took us to pick up our silver car. Michael was both courteous and polite, and we were on our way in minutes.

We met Carl and Jill at BBB and had a few drinks before going to Flamingo to drop off our luggage. We met Stan and Connie, Dave and Ann, Bob and Mitzi, and Carl and Jill for dinner at Los Gauchos.

Until you read other detail trip report; basically, Vickie and I did the following:

Celine sail to Tintamarre, Creole Rock and Happy Bay
Trip to Shoal Bay East at Auguilla
4 times at Orient- mainly the first week before many of our friends left on 11/4 and 11/5. Old friends: Chris and Paul, Sal and Susie, Bob and Mitzi, Dave and Ann, MA and Sharon, PeteK, Stan and Connie, and Anita and Smily. New friends: Steve and Susan, Divi Bobbie, Curt and Carrie, Michele and Denis, and Louise and David. Vickie and I missed Doug and Julie, Greg and Judy, and Tommy and Margret that we met last year.
5 times at Cupecoy with Barry, Sharon, Carl, Jill, and an occasional visit from the group from Orient.
Once at Baie Rouge with Carl and Jill
One full day of shopping with Donna and Joe in Philipsburg.

I snorkeled at Baie Rouge (devil’s hole), Cupecoy, Shoal Bay East in Auguilla, and snorkeled to Green Kay several times and spent most of my time at Orient Beach and Cupecoy in the water.

Vickie and I attended three announced TTOL parties and several private parties. However, I must make a few comments about Vickie’s costume for the Halloween party. We decided to dress up as Wilma and Fred Flintstones since last summer. Yes, Vickie was Wilma. We did not expect to hear about a hurricane named Wilma. We received several humorous emails from others such as Jeff Meier sending to me a satellite photo of hurricane Wilma and place the picture of Wilma in the middle. The funny part is that last summer; Vickie saw a pair of ear rings at a garage sale that would be perfect to wear with her Wilma costume. The ear rings looked like bone but the shape of very thin donuts with black and tan markings with beads hanging down from them. The lady approached Vickie and stated that she was glad that someone else had similar taste in jewelry. When Vickie mentioned that the ear rings would be perfect to wear with her Wilma Flintstone costume, well let’s say I wish I had a picture of her facial expression. The picture would be awarded first prize.

Vickie and I ate at the following places:

Pineapple Pete’s
Peg Leg
The Bridge
Lido’s ribs
Danny’s ribs
Lee’s Steak House
Greenhouse
Kangaroo Court
Zee Best
Los Gauchos
Pizza Palace
Baywatch
La Lucriere – Front de mer in Marigot
Bamboo Bernies
Sunset Beach Bar
Ric’s place
Kissingfish Bar
Boathouse

We ate with the gang with Carl and Jill most of the time. Vickie and I had a wonderful meal with Barry and Sharon at the Bridge in Marigot. Barry talked me into getting the “curry goat”. It was excellent, but since the garlic scallops were not up to their standards, the manager gave to us our meals and drinks for free. Also, we ate with Steve and Susan at Pizza Palace. Our favorite meal was probably with Carl and Jill at Pineapple Pete’s. We ordered the lobster thermador for $13.95. I will let Jill explain this in more detail in her report.

One morning, Vickie and I met Barry and Sharon at their room at Sapphire so that we could snorkel together from their condo to the west end of Cupecoy. The snorkeling was excellent with visibility around 100 feet. Peacock flounders, bristle worms, and all type of fish. Carl and Jill were already set up at Cupecoy when we arrived around 9:00 am.

I must add that the picture of the AA plane near SSBB was taken one hour before I left. I actually walked both directions from the airport to SSBB to take this picture in the hottest day of the visit.

Regrets,
YES
Leaving great friends you met.
Go back to Red piano to hear Jill sing.
Missing the opportunity to hear Anita sing.
Not having a Massage on Orient Beach.
Not visiting Dawn Beach and Plum Bay.
Not parasailing on OB.
Not snorkeling at Prickley Pear or Creole Rock.

If you compare my regrets from last year, you will see a few old regrets were removed but a few new regrets were added. I quest I must return again next year. Again I must add that I feel the things that what make SXM so great to visit are the duty free shopping, variety of nightlife, water sports, pristine beaches, natural beauty of the island, year-round warm climate, and the friendly, caring people that will charm you. This is what keeps people returning to this island year after year. The old friends and new friends you met on your trip will become lifelong friends.