Our third trip to Aruba was a great success. The first two trips were in 2000 and 2001, when we stayed at LaCabana, and the last three years we vacationed in St. Martin. Last year in SXM we rented a villa, and were inspired to do so again this year in Aruba. For a first time visitor, a hotel with concierge would probably be preferred by most, but once you learn where to go and how to get there, try a villa!
Our family of four (me, my husband, son(19) and daughter (16)) flew out of Boston via Charlotte on USAir without any problems. At the airport we picked up our Kia Sportage at Jansen – a battered-looking but fully functional vehicle that gave us no problems during our stay. From there we drove to Malmok to our rental villa. I was nervous that it would not match our expectations, as choosing a property online has its risks. Wiring thousands of dollars to an overseas bank requires a leap of faith and trust. But I had done my research, and we were delighted with the house and area.
Three bedroom, three baths, clean, private, and with a gorgeous pool and spectacular garden filled with mature plantings. So much room, and so many ways to get away from each other! My kids get along with each other best when they can be separate too. This was the impetus for the villa: each could have his/her own room. It was an unexpected bonus to find the grounds of the house with so much space and privacy as well. Around the pool were chaise lounges, and also in the garden. In the garden was nestled a large gazebo with couches and chairs. From the living room, you could not even see into the gazebo, and the constant Aruban wind through the palms sounded like ocean.
Having checked out the house and grounds with approval, we hurried to the beach. One block away was Boca Catalina, a small sandy area with several palapas, and the lovely blue-green Caribbean. This would be the focus of our week’s activities – rather, inactivities.
We called the rental agent, Anneke Gorter, then headed for the grocery store. We laid in supplies for breakfasts and lunches: cereal, juice, cheese, crackers, wine, and Balashi. Dinner that night was Le Petit Café, the kids’ favorite restaurant from our prior trips.
Next morning we got up, packed lunch in a soft-sided cooler, and headed for the beach. The house had beach chairs to bring along, which were the envy of many a visitor to Boca Catalina. We settled under a waterfront palapa, and did some swimming and snorkling. Every day was the same – we never had the energy or desire to go elsewhere. Even the kids were happy to sun and swim. I’d ask if they wanted to kayak, ride horses, go shopping, but they too let sand gravity sink in. Life is so hectic; this was the perfect antidote.
The snorkelling was excellent, much better than St. Martin. We saw a variety of fish, plus turtles, cuttlefish, a moray eel, and starfish. The water was clear, and calm. We had eseentially no rain that week.
Other restaurants we tried were Salt and Pepper, and Smokey Joe’s by the high rises. Both were fine, but nothing special. Mme Janette’s was quite good, but our best meal was at Flying Fishbone. One night we cooked fresh shrimp from the grocery store that were absolutely succulent. (37 florins per kilo).
On our last day at the beach I wondered out loud how long we would have to stay before we got bored with our lazy beach days – someday I ‘d like to find out.

http://www.arubavacationvilla.com/