Surprised that the island was relatively full for June. United non-stop from DC arrived a few minutes early. Best part of the flight was arriving before the other jets, making for a personal best time of 12 minutes from Customs to rental car (with a checked bag).

The usual speedy processing at Unity and Michael had me on my way less than 5 minutes later.

Stayed at Captain Oliver's mainly for the price. ($450 for a week, including breakfast). The rooms really could use some work. Worst part was having no hot water in my room until day #2. Although- I guess you get what you pay for! Convenient access to the Dinghy Dock Happy Hour each night made up for it. Stopped by Les Balcons d'Oyster Pond to see the rooms (newly renovated). Will stay there instead for the extra $100 in August. Really nice rooms, large balcony, grill, new kitchens, etc...

Sand gravity at Kakao on Orient each day except for one day at Baie Rouge and one at Pinel. Atmosphere at Kakao was great during the World Cup first round as Brits, Dutch, and French took verbal jabs at each other. GP even rigged a TV at his little beach bar for the games.

Weather was great except for Tuesday, which brought scattered showers (some heavy) and clouds around the island. Even that day wasn't a total wash though. All the others brought mostly sunny days in the mid to upper 80's.

Food was fantastic as usual. By far the best was Le Cottage, where we went twice. Lobster Ravioli, pumpkin/Emmantaler flan, duck, and Sea Bass with veal and foie gras sauce, topped off by hazelnut and caramel souffles will be mostly responsible for this week's diet program. Stephane, Bruno, and Isabelle continue to be perfect hosts.

A very close second was le Chanticlair- a new restaurant for me. Went the night of the music festival in Marigot. They had a tasting menu in honor of the event... leek and fennel soup, monkfish and river prawn in a lobster reduction, scallop/tomato/mozarella tart, veal with foie gras ravioli, and the unnamable chocolate dessert (my God, it's good) for 45 Euros. Really nice setting and fantastic service. WIll definitely return.

Tabba Khady- great as always. Friendly service and outstanding food. Had the shrimps in raspberry with guacamole and the grouper in Pernod/Anise cream. Their unusual flavor combinations never disappoint me.

Restaurant du Soleil- excellent food (especially the seafood). Great setting in a quaint dining room over the beach.

Los Gauchos- good beef at a very good value. Eggplant appetizer was excellent. Service wasn't bad but not outstanding either.

Pineapple Pete's- The usual friendly and attentive service I've come to expect. Pierre is a great host who really runs things well there. The Thermidor was fantastic. Also tasted the crab-stuffed grouper which was very good. Dark Rum creme brulee fantastic as well.

Disappointed that Ti Bouchon was boarded up, hopefully just for vacation. Want to try it next time, based upon the great reviews here.

Skipped Baywatch as they were out of mussels and had a really limited menu otherwise when I stopped by (maybe they're getting ready for vacation).

Kakao lunches were excellent, as usual. Pizza is very good. Crab with avacado salad was superb. My favorite, the Duck breast and Marcellin salad, did not disappoint.

Safety- I was pleasantly surprised that I did not once feel uncomfortable, despite being out and about late in the evening. Saw police actively patrolling the Marigot marina, as well as the usual security guys in Grand Case. All of the locals I know are very concerned about recent crimes for their own safety as well as the good of the island's tourism as a whole. Hopefully, the government will continue to agree once the publicity dies down.

Flight home- found myself wondering if the non-stop is worth it. First, I had to brave Saturday at Juliana. Waited in line for over 90 minutes at the counters, while United refused to check in anyone going to DC. Instead, they pushed all DC passengers to the side and only checked in Chicago-bound folks. With United, it seems you are better off showing up at the airport 45 minutes prior to your flight. Spent the little remaining time I had at Cafe Juliana for a Cubano sandwich (tradition continued). Then, after a delay of 1 hour, we finally pushed back. Customs at Dulles was the usual hour-long line as well. Think next time, I'll just do the Atlanta/Newark/or SJU connection...

In all, another great trip to a wonderful island. Even though it's not, why does August seem so far away?