Here are the highlights of our trip from my perspective. There were no lows and the less than ideal things had nothing to do with the islands. It was as close to perfect as any one could hope for. For now, I’m just trying very hard to remember what we did and how we did it so we can do it again next year. I’ve been touting the advantages we find in driving to Orlando and flying to EIS, bypassing Miami that way. Suffice to say things have changed in the Orlando airport and it’s a zoo like all others now. If Delta is still in the air next year, we’ll be doing ATL non-stop to STT and do the ferry.

THE HIGHIGHTS

International Car Rental treated us to a brand new Grand Vitara on our arrival with almost no miles and not a scratch.

Less than an hour later we got the meet the Pascucci family.. finally. Maryann was there with her son Michael, his wife Marge and their beautiful daughters Julia & Kyla. It was a treat I had been looking forward to for several years.

The lovely Uschi was as charming and wonderful as ever and joined us for dinner at Sebastian’s. Great time had by all. Orchid at Coconut Point was a homecoming for our fourth stay there and still love it.

Cheeseburger, fries and cold Carib at Stanley’s. It can’t get better than that, but…

Quito did a special Saturday afternoon performance with The Edge but we had a great opportunity to talk to him for a while before that. Great fun.

Dinner Saturday night at Spaghetti Junction was superlative. What wonderful hosts John & April are the food is to die for.

TMM made us feel like returning family, treating us royally. Can’t say enough good things about Penny Compton, Sam Welsh and Mark Saunders. Jeannius was as beautiful as ever and such a joy to be returning to her.

Did some shopping at Bobby’s, in addition to the emailed order, and Leon Brewley came down to chat for a bit. Great to see him again after missing him the last couple years.

With Jeff & Chrissie not due until Tuesday evening, Di, Maryann and I took off for Leverick on Monday. Nick gave us a place on the dock and Lew Spruance was there a few minutes later to drive us to Spyglass Villa where we spent the night. What a special treat.

Picked up Jeff and Chrissie the next evening, dropped their gear on the boat and were off to Brandywine for another special evening joined by Mal, Candace, Cuz Robin, Eric, Carol and Eric’s brother Gerald. I can tell you it’s not easy to eat while Mal is doing his
Dudley Moore (“Don’t you just hate Barry’s wife??)!!

The run to Anegada was perfect and all the Soares family were on hand to great us. Neptune’s is still the hands-down choice for marvelous seafood there, served by the
vivacious Singing Sally.

What can you say about Cow Wreck beyond spectacular, a feast for the eyes. It’s just
mesmerizing. We were in a trance there for two days under Belle’s supervision.

The run back to make Mal’s party at CRC was preceded by the fastest sail ever from Anegada to Soper’s for water: 3 hours 10 minutes, thanks to a secret weapon on Jeannius’ bow. Not even going to try to mention everyone at CRC and Big Apple. Gary Kilbride left some of us speechless with a gift of 50s edition of a VI Cruising Guide. I’ll treasure
that always. The “dueling parties” was a blast and Gary T’s video barely captures how much fun it was. We were no-shows at Quito’s later, having been partied out from the afternoon.

Jost was a treat for the next three days and I got some catch-up time in with Tessa, Fox
and Justine. White Bay gets more and more crowded with each year but it’s a short walk to Seddy’s for some magic and a visit with Raquel and their beautiful kids.

We were fortunate enough to be at the dinner premier of Taboo and Chef George’s first presentation. His skills rival any restaurant in the BVI, bar none. Let’s hope he’s happy and will remain there.

Our charter ended with a trip back to Leverick and four glorious days at Spyglass with Kimmers and Lew. Just too special for words. Speedy much have heard about our car
on Tortola because we had another nearly new Grand Vitara on Virgin Gorda. Dinner at The Rock Café was wonderful, fun lunches at the Mineshaft and Mad Dogs, capped off by a marvelous evening at The Restaurant at Leverick Bay our last night.

Everything was a good as it gets. The best charter crew ever. Wonderful weather. The joy of needing blankets on the boat at night. I want a repeat. We go to come back.

Bill Hartzman
706-495-1435
Email]billhartzman@gmail.com[/Email]